Spring Vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStageMinis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this is a frequent question, but could someone tell me again what vaccines are recommended in the spring, do you give West Nile and which are safe for pregnant mares?

Thanks in advance

All are safe for pregnant mares, assuming they are well pregnant.

I give, every spring:

EEE

WEE

Tetnus (together in a three-way)

EEE and WEE vaccines are effective for six months, usually only given once a year in the spring.

EVA (stallions)

Strangles IN

Recombitek (for west nile)

and every three months I give:

Flu

Rhino

Not all vaccines are approved for pregnant mares, which could just mean that it hasn't been tested to prove it safe. The vaccine for rabies should not be given to pregnant mares. The ones I wouldn't skip would be EEE, WEE, tetanus, and West Nile. I think the flu and rhino depends on the risk that you have in your particular situation. Do your horses travel? Are they exposed to other horses? I personally don't vaccinate for these two as I have a closed herd and no horse neighbors even. You can always talk to your vet and see what he recommends too.

We give the 4 way to all WNV to all that arent pregnant and rabies only to those who arent pregnant as well. Rabies and WNV are given to preggo mares after they foal. We will always ask the vet each year what we need to vacinate for in our area some years he has advised to skip WNV other years we have given it. We always have to do rabies as it is prevalent in our area.

I forgot Rabies...

come to think about it, I don't know if the flu/rhino vaccine is approved for pregnant mares... but Pnumabort-K is!
default_smile.png
I'd be sure to give that, and would probably skip flu/rhino.

I actually give some of my horses more than other of my horses, but depending on where you live, Potomac Fever is another "biggie".

Some vaccines are not labeled for pregnant mares because the testing has been done to prove safety. Having said that thousands of doses have been given to pregnant mares w/o any problem. All it takes is for 1 mare to abort (for any unrelated reason) coincidentally following vaccination to ruin a vaccines reputation.

Latest posts

Back