Splash

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As typical, I had to go read more about this. The first site I came across says that the Splash gene is linked with deafness...another said nothing about this, so I'm curious if this is rare, occasional, or common.

Have you come across this, and if so, how did it affect the afflicted horse? For those breeding for Splash, has this been a problem, or does careful breeding (as with LWO) prevent this?

I've seen maximum expression splashed white horses (as in solid white) that were deaf. I, personally, haven't had any mixed pattern (as in splashed + tobiano, etc) splashed white horses with any hearing defects.

As typical, I had to go read more about this. The first site I came across says that the Splash gene is linked with deafness...another said nothing about this, so I'm curious if this is rare, occasional, or common.
Have you come across this, and if so, how did it affect the afflicted horse? For those breeding for Splash, has this been a problem, or does careful breeding (as with LWO) prevent this?
I've heard it's not the most common thing in the world, but it does happen. Most cases have been in loud splash horses where the white covered the ears, although I'm not certain. There are certain big horse lines in which all the splash horses are deaf, it doesn't seem to be quite as much of a problem in the minis. Definitely not all of them have the problem.

I wonder if it's linked to homozygosity...? Hmmm.....

Splash whites are thought to be 'clinically deaf', where many have reduced hearing compared to "normal" horses, not all splash whites are deaf.. I know several APHA breeders who've had this occur (deafness and splash).. A breeder friend of mine had one born on her farm, seemed normal at first but then she noticed he became more sensitive and had him vet checked, sure enough he's deaf.. His entire head is white (from ears down and all the way around), four white socks and a belly spot.. He's a super walk/trot and performance horse
default_smile.png
I believe one of the hot APHA reiners is a splash white and deaf, and has produced a few splash/deaf foals.. Also it's believed that splash in it's homozygous form is "non-viable" and the early embryo is 'aborted', (NOT the same as LWO as the embryo/fetus does not make it as far along as LWO foal does)

.. Also it's believed that splash in it's homozygous form is "non-viable" and the early embryo is 'aborted', (NOT the same as LWO as the embryo/fetus does not make it as far along as LWO foal does)
Now that's a totally new one to me. From all I have read, the theory is that Splash must be in homozygous form in order to be loudly marked (unless combined with another gene). Since there is no test for Splash, this is very difficult (impossible?) to prove, but that is the general concensus I get from reading on the color forum. The theory you refer to is however widely believed to be true of classic Roan.

I agree with Songcatcher. The current theory is that to show the splash pattern in it's true form, a horse must be homozygous for splash.

QUOTE (Lucky-C-Acres-Minis @ Oct 17 2008, 07:58 AM) *.. Also it's believed that splash in it's homozygous form is "non-viable" and the early embryo is 'aborted', (NOT the same as LWO as the embryo/fetus does not make it as far along as LWO foal does)

Now that's a totally new one to me. From all I have read, the theory is that Splash must be in homozygous form in order to be loudly marked (unless combined with another gene). Since there is no test for Splash, this is very difficult (impossible?) to prove, but that is the general concensus I get from reading on the color forum. The theory you refer to is however widely believed to be true of classic Roan.
There's two "theories" to the splash white gene:

The first is what I was talking about in my previous post, when you say something is homozygous then that animal (since we're talking horses) produces what ever it is homozygous for 100% of the time, for example, homozygous black= black based 100% of the time, homozygous tobiano=tobiano 100% of the time.. There has yet to be find a splash white overo that throws splash white foals 100% of the time.. BUT without a test for it we won't know 100% since we know splash can be expressed at various degrees, just like horses who carry LWO/frame gene, you can't always look at that horse and say "yes definitely he/she is LWO overo" or in this case splash..

The second 'theory' goes along with the expression.. Some believe that the splash gene is an "incomplete dominant" and acts like the cream gene, and is expressed differently as to if the horse was passed one allele or two.. One allele would of course give you "normal" looking to slightly excessive face and leg markings (wide blazes, white muzzles, high stockings etc.) and one or two blue eyes (including blue eyes on a solid horse) When the horse inherits both alleles that's when you get the wild bald faces, lots of belly white, leg markings that extend all the way up, and typically both eyes blue..

But again, without a test to prove one way or the other, it's all speculation and 'best guess'

I dont really know much about splash so I am finding this post really interesting!!

I think my horse may also carry splash... Ive got the hairs ready for testing, but would like to know what you think!

She has 1.5 blue eyes.

Dejastanding.jpg

DejaRun.jpg

Cheers

Masako

I dont really know much about splash so I am finding this post really interesting!!I think my horse may also carry splash... Ive got the hairs ready for testing, but would like to know what you think!
Could very well carry splash and/or frame/LWO, which is what you have the hairs pulled for since there isn't a splash test
default_wink.png

There's two "theories" to the splash white gene:
The first is what I was talking about in my previous post, when you say something is homozygous then that animal (since we're talking horses) produces what ever it is homozygous for 100% of the time, for example, homozygous black= black based 100% of the time, homozygous tobiano=tobiano 100% of the time.. There has yet to be find a splash white overo that throws splash white foals 100% of the time.. BUT without a test for it we won't know 100% since we know splash can be expressed at various degrees, just like horses who carry LWO/frame gene, you can't always look at that horse and say "yes definitely he/she is LWO overo" or in this case splash..

The second 'theory' goes along with the expression.. Some believe that the splash gene is an "incomplete dominant" and acts like the cream gene, and is expressed differently as to if the horse was passed one allele or two.. One allele would of course give you "normal" looking to slightly excessive face and leg markings (wide blazes, white muzzles, high stockings etc.) and one or two blue eyes (including blue eyes on a solid horse) When the horse inherits both alleles that's when you get the wild bald faces, lots of belly white, leg markings that extend all the way up, and typically both eyes blue..

But again, without a test to prove one way or the other, it's all speculation and 'best guess'

....Sounds to me like these are the same exact theory!!!!!! Homozygous does not really mean the horse will always PRODUCE that gene, it means all of it's progeny will CARRY that gene.

Going along with the "there's no splash horse to throw 100% splash foals," well that's because in heterozygous form, the gene shows as nothing more than a little face/leg white. The horse has to be homozygous to be loudly marked. Incompletely dominant is right. So if you have a horse that carries one splash gene, maybe has one blue eye and some face white (example, Erica's Taker) well obviously not all horses he's produced will be splash or show any signs of carrying it. But when bred to another horse that carries that gene (example Erica's CC) then they can produce the loud splash foals, like they did last year and this year.

Taker has been proven to carry Splash. But think about how many foals he has had, and how many are loud splashes (only 3 or 4 come to mind off the top of my head). That about proves that this gene can ONLY show in homozygous form as loud splashes.

I have never heard such a crazy thing as "lethal splash." It's honestly about as ridiculous as saying "well, there's never been a cremello to throw 100% cremello, so the dilute gene must be lethal in homozygous form!"
default_rolleyes.gif
It's not lethal because it doesn't happen all the time, it just doesn't happen all the time because the gene is incompletely dominant. The results change depending on what said homozygous horse is bred to, this does not mean the horse isn't homozygous.

Now that we understand the gene is obviously only loudly expressed in homozygous form, let's take a look at a certain homozygous splash stallion: 4G's Little Kings Alfalfa Pleasure. Gorgeous stallion, loud splash. He has been bred i'd say quite a few times.

Now, if this gene were lethal in homozygous form, thus making him heterozygous, and Splash would be loudly expressed in heterozygous form, then HALF of his babies would be splashes like him, and HALF would be completely solid. This is not the case as I've observed. He has a lot of pinto foals that carry other pinto genes because their other parent did. But there aren't too many of his babies that are completely loud splashes like him. The reason for this being is - even though he's homozygous - he could still ONLY produce a loud splash when bred to a horse that carries at least one splash gene. But since he IS homozygous and Splash is NOT a recessive gene, it will ALWAYS show up in at least a small form such as a star, snip, leg white. I challenge you to find me a Hawk baby that doesn't have some white markings, no matter how minimal.

Yes, Splash is incompletely dominant so both parents have to carry it to produce a loud foal. But even when you have a loudly expressed Splash (homozygous) you won't always get loud foals, but YES all the babies will carry Splash. Once the splash test comes out, someone with a loud splash oughtta get it tested and I'd lay money that it'll be homozygous.

Because of the incomplete dominance, I think that's why Splash is the rarest of the pinto genes. It's not really uncommon in minis, but you don't see loud splashes in big horses every day. I believe this has to do with the fact that people are used to pinto genes like Tobiano, where if the horse carries it, half it's babies will, and if it's homozygous, it will produce pinto 100% of the time. But with Splash, if the horse carries it then half it's babies might have face/leg white, if it's bred to another carrier then it has a 50% chance of the horse having a bit of white, 25% chance completely solid, and 25% chance an actual loud Splash pinto. Then if the horse is homozygous, all it's babies will be carriers, unless it is bred to another horse with the Splash gene, and then it can produce a loud homozygous Splash.

Just like the cream dilute gene. Let's compare a cremello horse with a homozygous splash horse. Your horse is homozygous cream, it is a cremello. ALL of it's babies will carry the cream gene. But if you keep breeding it to chestnuts, you're only going to get palominos. People wonder why, if this horse is homozygous cream, it doesn't produce cremellos 100% of the time. But then let's say you breed it to a palomino, then you have a 50% chance of it being palomino, 50% chance of it being cremello. The ONLY way to be sure you are going to get a cremello (which is homozygous) is to breed to another cremello. But you have a good chance when bred to a carrier, such as a palomino.

As for Splash..... let's say you've got a loud splash horse. If you keep breeding it to non-Splash horses, you are not going to get a pinto. You have a chance if the horse is a minimal Splash. But you can only know for sure if both parents are homozygous.

OH MY! I appear to have written an essay!!!! :DOH! Sorry, I always seem to do this on color threads.
default_wink.png

....Sounds to me like these are the same exact theory!!!!!!
No they're not.. The first theory suggests that splash in it's homozygous form is lethal, while the other suggests what you do..

I'm not saying either one is right or wrong as without a test, again NO ONE can say one way or the other.. But is it seriously so hard to believe that just possibly the splash gene may act similar to the LWO/frame gene? Heterozygous frame horses' patterns are expressed at various degrees, you have your minimals (solid except for maybe a star) and you have your loud ones, and then of course we know the homozygous frames are lethals, when you breed a n/n to a n/O you get a 50/50 chance of a carrier, n/O to n/O, you get a 25% chance n/n, 50% chance of n/O (carrier) and 25% chance of lethal. So why can't splash be the same way? Heterozygous splash you have your minimals and then you have the louds, and then homozygous is lethal?

Anywho,
default_rolleyes.gif
, guess what others can take from this is to wait and see, until a test comes out to prove one way or another, we can "argue" all day.. Off to go feed...

Alex, I just have to say I'm once again so impressed with your knowledge and ability to explain colors. Kuddos to you, kiddo!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back