Special Precautions you take with your show minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
As far as putting them out to pasture, trailering, feeding, training, ect...anything you wouldnt do with your show horses compaired to regualr pet minis?

~Shayna

I usually do not let my show boys out to play with the rest of the boys. I will put them in pens where they can see each other, but I really don't want them playing so roughly that they have scars and such on them for show and the younger boys can get a little bit aggressive with each other sometimes. Other than that, they all get fed basically the same feed (depending on weight ect) and would all trailer the same way. I do spend a bit more time with training them for showing, but all need to walk on a halter, allow feet trimming, bathing, clipping ect.

Angie

This is actually for AT the show grounds........

We take with us a Sprayer with Bleach Water and spray down our stall(s) before bedding them, as a precaution.

MA

Actually, I do discuss w/my vet my plans for my show horses particularly if I will be traveling to another region of the country, or having them exposed to it. He gives me recommendations as to vaccinations we might need to address.

Honestly, though, my show horses all live the same as my pasture ornaments/broodmares. Right now, my show gelding is out on 24/7 pasture w/his dam. Enjoying the nice weather as well as a break from the barn routine, seeing if it will give him any reprieve from his obsessive compulsive behavior and airing out the stalls after our terribly wet Spring.

I think other than their health as far as exposure, I guess my show horses don't get any special consideration, they are each just as valuable in their own right and I can live with a few marks gotten while playing or "horsing around" in the pasture.

Liz M.

There are a few things we do differently at home and some "special" things at shows.

At home, our show horses get more complete pellets (Purina Equine) and less hay proportionally than our non-show horses. The show horses get flax seed in their pellets but the non-show horses do not. The show horses are clipped and razored, not the non-show horses. I lung the show horses every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday but do not lunge the non-show horses. Also, the show horses do get more cookies than the others. I reward them "in the field" for pretty faces and happy ears. They kind of "beg" for cookies by striking the pose and giving the face
default_smile.png

For the shows, we do spray down the stalls with bleach water. All the horses wear purple slinkie hoods, body sheets, show sheets, tail bags, halters and leads so they ALL match and are all in purple (I just think it looks nice when they all coordinate). We bring power ade with us to the shows and haul our own water in a container so that they do not have to drink water from away. We mix the power ade drink into the water in their bucket and they all drink PLENTY of it at the shows.

Our show horses are fed soaked beet pulp & protein pellets ( if they need them) - also flax & or BOSS............. Have to be careful at timing in turning them out to the dry lots for exercise as flies can cause their eyes to get irritated & red - don't want that right at show time.

Mine do get fed differently from the non show horses. They are turned out all day together to play, 2 geldings and a mare. They are really good with each other and I have not had a problem with them. We do have one mare that likes to bite, so she is in a stall with an outside run where she can touch noses and see other horses, and is given special turn out time after excerce, in the dry lot. 2 yearlings are in stalls with runs, because they take forever to eat
default_rolleyes.gif
: , they get special turn out time together and are stalled next to each other also. Our yearling stallion has a big dry lot with his stall area and each side of the fence joins to a seperate area for horses, so he spends his day running from side to side trying to keep track of everyone else and what they are doing. :bgrin As far as everything else besides being clipped and bathed more often nothing else really special. They do get more treats than everyone else, for training purposes and also just because. Being a prima dona is hard work.
default_yes.gif
: They also have a radio that plays all day for their enjoyment. :lol: Fans in their stalls, you think they are a tad spoiled?
default_unsure.png
:

NO difference at all...

My show horses go out in the pasture and then dry lot togther with the rest of the herd (minus the stallions of course) all day long and are stalled at night. They all eat hay togther as a herd every morning and eat seperate in there stalls at night. At this point no sweats no nothing the only thing different is the show horses get worked a bit at night after they eat dinner other then that they are very much horses
default_smile.png

Back