Special Mini Moments

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusiveHussler

Reaction score
We all love our minis and they certainly love us back(who doesn't love the one who gives out food? LOL)

Have you ever had any special moments with your mini? Or a moment that when you looked at your mini when times were hard and felt they understood? Or maybe your mini did something miraculous to help you in some way?

Here's mine::

Early December of 2005 my parents went off on a cruise for a week, so they were out of the country. The second day they were gone and my pregnant mini colics. I'm home alone and afraid. The vet comes out, gives some shots and Lucy is feeling better. And the vet assure me the baby is fine. Lucy spends the rest of the day in her big stall.

The next morning I go out a but earlier(well...30 minutes) to feed....But my big mare is not out in the paddock. So I call her and she walks out of her stall...And I just stop...I instantly started crying, knowing exactly what had happened...My big beautiful mare lost another foal at 8 months...But something kept me going forward. I got to Fiona's stall and see the foal...I ran for the house screaming and crying...numb.

I checked on Lucy thinking she lost hers too(because it would be just my luck)...But she's ok, but knows something is going on.

That night(1 AM) I went back out to the barn to check on Fiona...She still hadn't passes the placenta(which resulted in her staying at the vet for the week). I checked on Lucy and she was laying in her stall. I crept in and she just looked at me. And I could tell she understood. I sat down by her and hugged her and pet her for several minutes. Something in the look of her eyes and the way she was laying next to me helped me relax a little. She let me cry into her thick mane and she nuzzled my face...It was such a magical moment...

I am sorry for the loss of your mare's foal. I wish things like that didn't happen...

I think my whole time with my horses have been a special moment. But Blue was my first horse, and he has a special place in my heart. He and I have a connection. It is truly amazing. Blue is the horse in my avatar.

Here's the story:

It was a late summer night, and the sun was sinking below the horizon. The chores were done, and it was one of those nights that was warm, even after the sun left the sky. My best friend, Danielle, and I, decided to sit with Blue for a while. He was contently munching his feed, while we settled down on the ground with our backs leaning up against his little barn my Dad built. We sat there, watching Blue eat, and we talked softly. I think we did that because we felt we would ruin the beauty of the scene around us if we talked in our normal voices. We talked about Blue and many other things while he ate. When Blue was done eating he came over to investagate us. He smelled me and then Danielle, even though he knows us. All conversation stopped, as I began to sing to him. He stepped really close to me, and we were head to head, as I closed my eyes and sang softly. He did not move, and niether did we. Danielle joined me singing, at times, and Blue's eyes closed gently, and he lowered his head. I did not move for fear I would wake him.

Finally the sun was gone, and it was getting dark quickly. I woke Blue when I moved slightly, so we figured it was time to head in the house. We got up, and two humans and a horse stretched out muscles that were cramped from not being used. Before we stepped out of the pen, we each gave my boy a goodnight kiss on his snippet.

Walking back to the house, I realized I was one of the luckiest girls on earth. My best friend and I had just experianced something many people do not ever see. And I realized that the saying is true, "Once you have a horse's trust, you have it for life." And you know what else? I am lucky because I got to share this moment with the two beings I love most in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, Dona, that story brought tears to my eyes! Horses are such great therapy animals. I worked/volunteered at a therapy riding center for 5 years and I was there when my favorite little rider spoke her first word...We all cried.

And minihorselover, that is such a sweet story! Blue surely loves you and trusts you!

Thanks for sharing!

Anybody else have a story to share?

I got my keyboard all wet reading those stories. I love sharing my minis with kids and older people, gives them pleasure and me great joy.

Sandy

Well I do not own Minis but when I went to a Mini Horse Farm I just fell in love. Here's my story:

My Horse Judging Team was going to this Mini Farm to practice judging Minis and on the way there we were paging through old Miniature Horse World Magazines and I was asking questions to the girl on my team about this farm because she had actually purchased one of her stallions from there. Before hand I had been browsing the internet and finding all kinds of Mini information and I found the farms website and thought that it would be a big elaborate farm but boy was I surprised! When we got there we greeted the owners and they led us around back and we all saw this big garage type building and when we got there I asked. "Is this it?" And they replied "Yes, surprised?" I looked in awe and said "Yeah I expected this farm to be a huge setup and it's not. It's just a backyard barn." The owners said "Well from the looks of the website it seems to be a big setup but we're just a backyard show stable." I looked around and I thought...Ok cool these are Minis, pretty cool I guess (because at that time I was so hooked on Arabians) but then my eye caught on one particular Mini. It was a little bay filly with the blackest markings that you have ever seen. I stood there just amazed. People were looking at the other minis but I just stayed there. Then the judging had to start and they took out that amazing filly and we had to judge her and two others. I watched as the set them up and posed them and moved them around us in a walk and trot and I just stared at that one filly the whole time. Then my coach said "Let's all get a group picture with these Minis." I immediately sprinted to the bay and walked along side her as we were being led into the pasture to take the picture. I kneeled down to her face and stroked her. She felt like silk, her coat was glossy and it felt like a dream. I asked if I could sit next to her and get my picture taken with her and they said "Sure." But my coach wanted me to pose with the other palomino/sorrel Mini and I willingfully accepted. And when I heard the other girls giggling and laughing when they were posing with the bay filly I immediately became jealous (I will admit it!). Then after the picture the owner surprised me and said "Would you like to lead her?" I immediately accepted and must have said "Thank You" one million times! I led her up to the barn while me and the owner chatted. Now I was used to handling bigger horses so this felt awkward! The owner told me "I knew that you just loved that bay filly and I wanted you to lead her." I said "Really?" When we got back to the barn I got to go into the fillies stall and I hugged her. My team just watched me as I was the last one to leave. I started to cry and everyone looked so surprised as no one had ever seen me emotional. And this was the very first time that I had cried to a horse! (Weird huh?) I just hugged her and even though I had known her for such a short time she nuzzled my cheek and nickered. And the owners said "You know that is the very first time she has ever nickered to a stranger." I felt so alive and I stood up and bent down to kiss the little fillies muzzle. Then I turned around and walked out and closed her stall door. I said goodbye and thanks for their time. And as I walked away that day I was immediately hooked. And I will never forget that feeling. That feeling of not a big muzzle but a little loving muzzle...........

Thanks for reading!

Mini Horse Lover

Latest posts

Back