Speaking of Hoof Nippers...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
A few months back there were alot of members here getting the new Barracuda Nippers and I was just wondering how it has been going with them? I need to buy a set of nippers, and have narrowed it down to them or the GE's.

I love our Barracuda's
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I just got mine in the mail today!
default_aktion033.gif
Will let you know after I try them out tonight!

Well Lucky fo rme I had hinsight, and bought two of them.

I gave one to my Blacksmith and told her to try them out on the mini's she does, well she liked them so much she wound up paying me for them, I myself have not used them but they are here and if I ever need them.

She Loves them and would not give it up, she does a lot of small Momi's and they are super for there feet.

Hope that helps

Jan

I love mine!
default_wub.png
I have done about 35 horses now and the blade is still sharp.

I found them hard to handle. It may depend on what you started out with.

I sold mine and bought a new pair of GE 14" race track nippers that I love ( my second pair)

I got a pair, and if you are going from the normal type of nippers to the Barracuda's there can be a bit of a learning curve, however They are super sharp and cut easily. I have small hands and I can handle them just fine but they did take some adjusting to.

Karen

I love mine too. We bought ours last December.

They are great for older people with arthritic hands. They go thru the hard hooves like butter.

I used to dread having to do a couple of our horses but now they are all "a snap."

I did 15 horses in 2 days and that included worming and other cosmetic jobs like trimming the "bridle path".

We have 28 horses and while I use a white board to keep track of things I also trim the bridle path on the horses I work on so I can see at a glance, who hasn't been in for hoof checking lately.

Love mine! As others have said, a little learning curve in that they feel "clumsy" the first time used. But, once you get over that, wow -- sharp, fast, CLEAN cuts. The horses appreciate the faster work. After you do a few, you get the hang of it and far less filing is needed. That in itself is a good thing for me, I routinely took most of the flesh off of the knuckle of my index finger, left hand
default_wacko.png
Saving a bundle on bandaids!

I've done about 50-60 trims on these blades and they are still like the first day. Amazing. I don't dread the job for those hard hooves anymore.

I know there are a couple of sources for them..........where is the BEST place?

And how much are they?

I didn't like them. I hate change, so couldn't readily adjust to the way they handle. They just felt very awkward to hold and use for me. hey were definately VERY sharp, and did cut through the hoof easily. If yuou can get past the way they feel, then they would be good. As for me, I sold mine and bought some G.E.s.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think we are going to try the Barracuda's. They seem like they will be wonderful for a few of ours that have really hard hoofs.

The big advantage to them, if you can get use to the feel, is the fact you can change the blades.

It costs $80 to have the GEs redone and $20 to buy new blades for the Barracudas.

I still prefer the way the GEs handle. The GEs cut just as easy if you buy the right type of GE nippers.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm sort of in the same boat
default_rolleyes.gif
I have seriously thought of the GE race track but I hate 14 " nippers, They are so hard to handle. Could someone explain what they mean by the Barracudas being hard to handle?[/SIZE]

Thanks,

Joy

Also where can you order the Barracudas?

[SIZE=12pt]I'm sort of in the same boat
default_rolleyes.gif
I have seriously thought of the GE race track but I hate 14 " nippers, They are so hard to handle. Could someone explain what they mean by the Barracudas being hard to handle?[/SIZE]

Thanks,

Joy

Also where can you order the Barracudas?
If you're use to regular nippers, Barracudas are a challange to use. If you're not used to regular nippers I would think the Barracudas wouldn't be a problem. They are a different design and the rein spread is too wide for my hands. Look on their site for a picture if you haven't seen them yet.

If your problem with 14" nippers is the reins being too far apart for your hands, anybody with a forge can adjust the reins for you. That makes a huge difference. The Just remember never to put hot nippers in water. Either air cool or put in old motor oil or transmission fluid.

12" GE blades are too thick for easy cutting on mini feet.

We'd been trimming our own horses for 3-4 years when we got our Barracudas and it was an adjustment but we still like them better. I don't even know the brand of nippers we had before, but they were not the cheap kind (which we initially had, not knowing the huge difference good ones make).

I ordered mine through: http://www.hooftrimmer.org/ (call or email them)
default_yes.gif

Good for arthritic hands huhh? Is it the grip that is different, the way you have to hold them? They are racketing correct? Ooohhh I would love to have nippers I didn't have to use both hands with and that easily cut the hooves especially the biggies! I do have big hands so can usually operate a 10in nipper with one hand but still can't stand a huge pair of nippers.

I just checked out the link from Jill (Thanks Jill).

Gona get them, looks like they would be perfect, plus I am used to holding tools in that way. Fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back