Spaying an older dog?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
Our German Shepherd Keisha is 11 years old. She has had 2 litters of pups several years ago.

Now, whenever she comes in heat she has an extremely long heat cycle. She seems to go out of heat and then has it start up again. I will be talking to my vet tomorrow but just wonder if anyone has had any experience having an older dog spayed.

I do not want to take any chance of having something happen to Keisha and guess I am just wondering if anyone has ever had an older dog spayed or knows of any adverse effects or whether or not it is too dangerous to do to an older dog.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on this.

I know that many breeders have their older dogs spayed when they are no longer breeding them. Eleven years old, is quite an age though, but as long as she has a healthy heart, she should be able to handle the operation well.

There are also meds that might help...your Vet will know.

Go to this web site and they might be able to help you more..they have a forum

www.germanshepherds.com

I would definately consult with your vet.....the heat cycles you are describing could be a sign of pyo......I am all for spaying and had a 6 year old borzoi spayed with no complications......the elderly chow I just took in..she is 12....is not spayed and at this point probably will not be....she is hearing impaired ok she is almost totally deaf....and very arthritic......at this point in her life unless she had pyo it isn't worth the risk.......

Your vet and maybe a reputable breeder would be your best place to get some good info.....

We spayed our 7 year old boxer last year....doesn't seem old unless you know the average lifespan of a boxer is pretty much 8-10 years. She was having a lot of female problems and was very hyperactive and annoying always bouncing all over the place, jumping on people, barking, etc. and I've seen no negative side effects, in fact, the best part is how much more relaxed and calmer she is now.

I didn't realize until talking with my MIL this morning, but evidently there is birthcontrol pills available for dogs. My MIL said that a friend of hers had her female dog on birthcontrol pills and still does, although she is a rather old dog now. So perhaps birthcontrol pills are an option. Only you and your vet will know what is best for your situation.

Thanks everyone so much for the thoughts and suggestions! I really appreciate it. Keisha is the most important animal in my life. She is my constant companion and so very, very devoted. I just cringe at the thought of anything ever happening to her.

I want all the input and info that I can possibly get before I decide on having her spayed, most of all I want what is going to be the best for her.

chevycouple, thanks so much for the German Shepherd link, I did find some good info on there and have put it in my favorites!

Chandab thanks for the info on birth control pills, I will also check that out with my vet.

I will certainly discuss everything with my vet before I make any decision.

Hi Donna, Just wanted to let you know that whatever you deceide to do-- I hope everything turns out for the best. I had a Great Dane who had alot of problems, but after talking to my vet deceided not to have her spayed, I just couldnt come to grips with the thought that "something" could happen. She never was bred, and lived to be a rip old age of 9yrs (which is old for a Dane) despite all her health problems. I am sure you have a very trusting and caring vet and that means so much. Corinne

Latest posts

Back