Spares Kits - what's in your kit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
I am looking to put together a spares kit. What does everyone have in theirs? Pictures are always great!

My spares kit is in 2 packages: one is a sturdy black pencil case that I can strap to any vehicle I own. It's not fancy but it does the trick! And the other is a Cashel Ankle Safe pack that I strap to my ankle when I'm out on the trail or marathon course. It's super handy for carrying items that I'd rather have on me should I get separated from my horse & vehicle!

In the pencil case I carry:

- 1 or 2 rolls of electrical tape (I find it smaller & easier to work with than duck tape....doesn't leave sticky residue on your gear)

- hole punch

- folding hoof pick

- length of rawhide string or baling twine

- trace splice

- rein splice

- multitool with a screw driver and wrench that fit all the screws & bolts on my vehicle

- a 6' horseman's string: I use it as a make-shift halter/lead as it packs up smaller than a typical halter/lead, weighs less (no heavy snaps) and will fit any horse

In the Ankle Pack I carry:

- a good knife

- a whistle

- info card with my name & emergency contact info

- my cell phone and/or GPS (not on marathon of course!)

- a map

- small flashlight

PS: great topic! I'm anxious to see what others carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has reminded me to get a bit more serious about my spares kit. I have a bike pump for my tyres, a halter and lead, spare set of traces and some baling twine. I always carry my mobile (cell?) phone in my pocket too. I drink a lot of water so also often have a hydrapack on my back which is not really spares as such, just an essential for me.

Latest posts

Back