Something wrong with my mom's dog..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesi

Reaction score
My mom has a big, beautiful Newfoundland. Her name is Ia.

ia001.jpg

The other day I noticed a stinky smell from her but couldn't figure it out. The the next day I noticed some blood on the floor. It looked like the normal blood from when she comes in heat. We put her up in the kitchen so we wouldn't have the mess. My grandma suggested that maybe she had a uterine (or maybe urinary tract?) infection, and that was the source of the smell. (Smell is super bad, btw) My mom scheduled a vet appointment for tomorrow. Well today my mom was brushing Ia and noticed on her head she had dried blood. We put a wet washcloth on it to try and clean it up and the water started dripping red on the floor. We both freaked out and called my grandma (the dog expert) and she said she'd come over. Then I started looking all over her body and noticed she had two other red bloody spots on her, and then little bright red rashy looking things in places. At first my grandma thought it was hot spots, but with the smaller spots and the smell she has no clue. She now thinks it may be some sort of staff or skin infection.

It's really gross, but I'm so scared something's going to happen to Ia. She's such a sweet girl and I couldn't stand losing her. I'm also terrified that it's contagious and my two Papillons or Chihuahua may catch it!

So, have you ever heard of this? Any idea what it may be? Thank God we have the appointment tomorrow to see the vet.

Gosh at first I thought PYOMETRA and EMERGENCY, but blood on her head/skin as well? Bizarre! But with the smell I'd still be terrified of infection and something going bad REALLY fast
default_sad.png

Let us know!!

Please let us know what you find out. I would think infection too with the odor. Newfs are beautiful and sweet dogs. My parents had two of them. Ia loooks like a sweetie.

Weird. I wonder if she developed a heat rash or hot spots or possibly an allergic reaction to bug bites or something she's eating that worsened into a staph or yeast infection. How's her temperature? Blood pressure? Gum color? Is she dehydrated? Acting off? Moving around okay? Is she urinating more than usual? Does the urine look okay? Has she been drinking more than usual? Eating normally? What about her bowel movements? Is she on a flea/tick preventative? How do her ears look? Is she in heat, or due to be coming in soon? Where does the smell seem to be coming from? What exactly does it smell like? These are all questions I would want the answers to if this were my dog before her vet appointment tomorrow.

Yes I have heard of it. Wish I could remember the name but I am not good at remembering medical things. It can be brought on by anything that makes the body immune system react. A vacination, sick from anything, an infection. The body's immune system kicks in and goes haywire. If treated the immune systems most times will go back to working correctly.

I had a dog that was peeing blood. Lots of it. Her body was attaching her blood cells. Her platelet count was extremely low. She was treated for it and improved for a few weeks. I am told the dog either respond and gets better or not. We tried everything. She spent 10 days in ICU at Tufts before we finally decided to have her put to sleep. They felt she had an underlay factor such as cancer that was making the immune system go out of wack.

A dog that is not treat can start to bleed through the skin, from their eyes, nose etc.

It doesnt sound like normal hot spots at all to me. Especially the smell!!!

I hope the vet can get to the bottom of it quickly!! She is a lovely dog- keep us posted!! It sounds awful!

Today we found out that it is her platelets. She has absolutely none. The spots are from her blood coming up through her skin because the platelets aren't there to clog the blood. Basically if she digs at the spots to much, or get cut or bruised she'll bleed to death. :[

OMG are they able to give her something for it?

Latest posts

Back