Something I've been stewing about for a while now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbara, I'm so sorry about Jinx. He was beautiful and obviously very special to you. Hugs.

Last edited:
Barbara, I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Jinx. I always read your posts about him....thanks for sharing him with us. (((Hugs)))

Thank you all for your kind words. My oldest daughter (Jinx's true owner) was not here today as she had gone to King's Island to celebrate her birthday with her grandmother. She does not know what has happened yet, and I am dreading telling her. I am sorry for taking this thread around from the original intention. But thank you for giving me a chance to share as it somewhat related to another post. I didn't want to create a post on its own about Jinx in the main forum as I just didn't feel up to it. I know Jinx's former owner, Sheryl Stewart, of Irish Hills Farm is mourning tonight, too. I called to let her know what was going on. I just want to publicly thank her for giving us the time we did have with Jinx. He was a very special boy.

Barbara

I love my animals -- each and every one -- but I believe good stewardship means you don't place any animal above your family's needs. I believe we are put here to watch over and care for our animals -- but they are animals, not people. I believe family must always come first -- and I would do nothing to take food/shelter/etc., away from my human family to spend thousands on an animal.

So, I understand and support your decision, and pray for healing for your loss.
default_pray.gif
That was so nicely worded. Perfect.
default_aktion033.gif

I had a horse all through high school. Every Christmas the only gift I longed for was the envelope in the tree with a note inside that read "One year's supply of horse food." I sold that wonderful mare in order to move away to attend college (my father said if I lived at home and attended the community college I could keep her--but leaving was a priority). From the moment I graduated with my Bachelors I longed to own a a horse again. I kept my saddle, bridle, bareback pad...and oiled them every year, just waiting for the time when owning a horse was doable.

When Mark and I became more serious, I warned (right word!) him that I needed a horse some day and needed to live in the country. He loved the idea. I had earned a Masters degree and had more expenses from that. In 1984 we bought this house--with a HUGE barn. I could feel the horse getting closer. But, we were broke from putting everything we had on this place... then refinanced a few years later... then kids came and I wanted to be home with them for several years... then we had to catch up from me being home... then spending on kids and their activities... and basic living.... then finally we felt it was time--that we could spend on the luxury of buying and feeding one horse. My daughter was 12 by then, so it was fun to share it with her. There's a whole 'nother story about how we went from one big one to minis.

I went without horses from 1978-2001 because of my situation/decisions/priorities, but for most of those years it was because there was not the extra money to spend on what I considered a luxury. I remember in 1991 almost getting a mare--her name was Kristika. She was a reasonably priced and I even told the owners we'd take her. Then reality dawned again and I realized feeding her would be a strain. Hay was $5 bale that year. It was a hard call to make to say I wouldn't be taking her afterall. Now there's no debt, and we're helping kids with college loans so they can have the same start we did.

So-we walk the responsible talk and feel many need to wait until their financial situation justifies horse ownership in order to avoid the money challenges that arise. Dogs and cats have always been here, but we all know the price tag for them is, under most circumstances, considerably lower.

And I 100% agree with Castle Rock--there's a limit to what we would spend on an animal--money in the bank or not. Buddy--the free rescued puppy cost us $1000 in his first three weeks here--but it was never a question whether we'd spend it or not. He deserved that chance and it paid off.

Eh--enough on that. Just trying to give more background to my thoughts. Even this is off the OP topic.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Barbara- I am so sorry to read that you lost Jinx. I certainly know that feeling, and sometimes all the money in the world isn't going to save them, so really, you do what you have to do. I have had three horses with serious colics: the first time it happened, to an older Arab, I made the same tough decision you just made. But that also made me realize that it could happen again, and if it did I needed to be ready. For each horse, I make the decision whether or under what circumstances they will go to the hospital for possible surgery. Making the decision in advance saves you the gut-wrenching choices when the vet is there and you are faced with a crisis. The next 3 times (2 different horses) I did have the surgery, and still lost one of them (Max). The other has had 2 surgeries and is still hanging around at age 25; he doesn't get another one.

Latest posts

Back