Some questions on showing and condition if you have the time please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
Hi everyone
default_saludando.gif

I wondered whether you could be kind enough to answer a few questions for me..

1. Belly wraps - Do they work and could anyone explain how to use them and how they work?? Do you have to leave them on all the time or can you just use them when working the horse?? Which are the best type to get??

2. What % protein should i be loooking at feeding a 3 year old mini??

3. What kind of work do you do and how long do you work your 3 yr olds??

Thanks, i really appreciate any input you can give me!!
default_smile.png

I use a belly wrap, BUT I also use a green heavy dute trash bag. I cut the bottom off and have the back legs step in and pull it up over the belly and then wrap my fleece and neoprene belly wrap around that. What a sweat I get with that. Acutally dripping water after 20 minutes in the round pen. I don't worry about protein as I use a balanced food, which the vet tells me is perfectly fine for what I do. I visit nursing facilities and drive competitively. I concentrate more on a good hay, timothy alfalfa mix, for my two, but I am sure someone will give you some information about protein.

Try using a heavy trash bag for bellies and necks, they really work great under the neck and belly sweats.

Hi

Is there anyway you can post a recent picture?? I really hate to give feed advice without seeing the current condition of the horse

Belly and neck sweats work but you do need to be pretty educated on using them so you dont cause more harm then good. Most people buy 2 so that the horse stays in one most of the time. That way you can wash one while one is on.

How long I work them really depends on the horse. Some stay in shape easily and others need more work. I am though a big believer in NOT working horses everyday. Like humans they need rest from it to build and repair muscle.

Always start out slow and work up

We like workign in a round pen and using a go cart to pony them up and down hill

I work three days on, one day off and so on. I have several weights that i use, normally when i take a horse into the roundpen i will trot them for a few minutes to burn off some of the energy and warm them up, then i put on some weights (i have ankle bracelets, chain action boots, weighted bell boots...depends on the horse) and put the weights on and work them at a trot for several minutes, then the weights come off and they work for a bit longer, basically warm up the muscle....work the muscle and then we go easy agian with no weights all in one roundpenning session...working well for us this year.

I do not use belly wraps....my horses actually never have been prone to bellys, i feed alfalfa hay too...i know some choose not to feed hay to their horses when the beet pulp ext gets added but....my horses DO eat hay!

I just over all prefer a 14% protein but there are so many other things that to me rank more important then protein level. Generally a 3yr old is done growing, but still i think needs a little something.

Once you start a rutine, stick to it and only tweak it as you need. My horses will be doing different things for different amounts of time as they come into condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back