Some exciting news for me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well, as everyone else is out having foals (lucky!! I must say there are some real beauties this year already! We don't have any due), I've been at home studying for our NJ State 4-H Horse Bowl Competition. For those unfamiliar with Horse Bowl, its a game that tests the contestants all around horse knowledge and speed in recalling facts. The game is played by two four- or three- person teams. Every member has a buzzer that lights up and makes a noise for the first contestant who rings in. There are two types of questions asked in a round- one on ones and toss ups. Since the members are in specific seats, in one on ones, the questions are just for a specific seat, so it's like players 3 (one from each team) only. These are worth 2 points, and -1 for wrong answer. Toss ups are like a free for all, anyone can buzz in- and that's where speed really matters. They're worth 1 pt, and -1 for incorrect answers. The competition was on March 3rd (yeah- I'm a bit late in announcing!), and about 73 Senior kids on 24 senior teams participated from throughout NJ. (Seniors are 9th grade and up- juniors are 4th?-8th).

I've been doing horse bowl for about 6 years, and have done very well in the past. I attended Eastern National 4H Horse Roundup for it 2 years ago, and our team placed 9th nationally. However, in my previous 2 years as a senior, my team has never placed in the top 4! I've recieved a 3rd and a 6th for High Individual as a senior. As a junior my team got 3rd every year (my room is covered in yellow ribbons!), and I won high junior individual in last two junior years (I placed in the other year too).

This year my goal was to place with my team. My team consisted of myself, a freshman (who won her last 2 years as junior! A great friend of mine), a 2nd year horse bowler (another great friend), and a boy from another county who was added onto our team (he fit in excellently!). We did GREAT. It was an amazing day, and in the end- all our hard work really paid off.

We got:

FIRST PLACE HIGH SENIOR TEAM (o/o ~23) :cheeky-smiley-006:

I won FIRST PLACE HIGH SENIOR INDIVIDUAL (o/o ~74)
default_firstprize.gif
:

The 2nd yr horse bowler won 5th (?) high senior individual and qualified for NATIONALS!

The Boy who was added on won 7th (?) high senior and also qualified for NATIONALS!

My other good friend was just out of the top 10.

Our junior team (who I'm extremely close to an proud of) did excellently as well!

They also won

FIRST HIGH JUNIOR TEAM :488:

and had girls place:

SECOND

SIXTH (?)

EIGHTH (?)

and right out of the top ten at ELEVENTH.

I couldn't be any prouder! I'm so excited, I only wish I could go to nationals again! It was a ton of fun- and a tough competition. I have learned SO much through horse bowl and 4-H, I really hope that everyone tries it!!! I'm just bursting at the seams over our results!!

Anyone else do horse bowl? Or been in 4-H in the past? I'd love to hear it! :bgrin

Congratulations!! Sounds like a ton of fun. I lived in Calgary growing up so never got to do 4-H but I want to get my kids into it when they are old enough. My daughter is 6 1/2 and my son is 2. What age can they start at?

They can be prep members at just about any age. As prep members, they get to do all the stuff except the competitions, and the requirements are much looser. To be a member, I think you need to be at least in 5th (?)

Congratulations!! :aktion033: I did 4-H for thirteen years until I got too old and they kicked me out and Horse Bowl was always my favorite non-riding activity. We went to state with the team I started, I honestly don't remember what we got but I think it was in the top 4. Great fun! And trust me, that knowledge WILL come in handy in real life. I speak from experience! LOL

Leia

Latest posts

Back