So worth it !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad for mini's

Reaction score
I gave up my dream of having an appaloosa filly to give the stall space to a horse more needy. I took in " Honey" a rescued mare. I pledged to give her the loving and caring "forever" home that she so deserves. She is very good natured and affectionate, it's hard to believe the short rough life she has lead has left her still so trusting and loving. We don't know anything about her, only that she is about 4 years old and came from a neglectful home. So far the only bad thing about her is that she has been foundered
default_no.gif

In just a few days she has gone from this :

forum2-2.jpg

To this :

forum2-3.jpg

I can't wait to see her in a sleek summer coat !
default_yes.gif
( We are still working on the tangles)

Please support our rescues ! There are so many more horses like her and much worse that need love and care !

How could anyone deny any face like this a caring and loving home ??

forum2-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gooooood for you... She actually looks like she is smiling in the first after picture..
default_yes.gif

Oh my gosh, I think I saw her on a rescue site not long ago! I was seriously considering getting her as a potential pairs partner for Kody except that she was clearly lame in the video they provided on the website and I didn't think it was fair to ship her all the way across the country in that condition. I'm so glad you got her!!

Please keep us up to date on her recovery and health. I'd love to see a picture of her all shed out this summer.
default_wub.png

Leia

Hello, Congrats!!

I have taken in several rescues. They hold a special place in my heart for making it through very hard times. Not all of my babies are pocket pets but the have settled in and know that they have found a forever safe home. Every horse is different but when you finally earn their trust and love it is amazing.

Thanks for opening your home and heart to a "rescue" mini, Vicki

BEAUTIFUL!
default_aktion033.gif

In the first photo she was just "existing"..........

In the second photo she was sparkling with HOPE! (Tell her she is HOME....She'll understand.)

Bless you for taking in this sweet mare! What a fortunate girl she is! Many of our horses from a 17hh Paint horse to our tiniest of the wee dwarfs at 22" are adopted rescues. There is nothing quite like it is there?
default_wub.png

Oh! She looks like such a sweet and pretty mare! Enjoy her, I think she has lots to give
default_wub.png

I'm so glad you found room in your heart for a much deserving girl. She looks very happy in her new home
default_yes.gif
Joyce

default_aktion033.gif
aww good on you for caring enough to help her out. l bet she feels so better now the pretty girl...

good heavens, she could be my little gelding's identical twin right down to the little star on her forehead!

"red" wasn't what you would consider a rescue although i did get him out of a not-so-great situation. he had been with the same elderly lady for 7 of his 9 years. he was well loved and well fed but having foundered the year before she offered him for sale, his feet were in terrible shape, looked pretty much exactly like your little girl's feet. i'm satisfied he had gone months and months w/o being trimmed.

after a couple of trims and with regular trimming since, he has flourished into the best little guy EVER! he is playful, affectionate and a team of wild horses could not drag him away from me now.

congrats on your girl. she's just precious!

default_aktion033.gif
Bless you for taking in this little girl, her feet must feel so much better now
default_biggrin.png
Can't wait to see her in her summer coat, please keep us updated on her progress.

Yvonne

She is a very pretty mare, so glad she has a wonderful home.

How wonderful for her to have someone like you! I too believe that she is smiling in that 2nd photo.
default_smile.png
Please keep us updated on her condition and post a picture when she's slicked out. I bet you'll have your dream filly one day. Good things happen to good people,
default_yes.gif
so don't give up!

Fran

Thanks everyone
default_saludando.gif
It is such a wonderful feeling to help give an unloved animal the affection that they so crave ! I thought that she was smiling too in that second full photo but I wondered if it was just me, I'm glad that you saw her smile too. I have so much admiration for the poeple that do this all the time, especially for those that deal with horses that are harder to convince that people are not so evil as what they have experienced. Anyone that has helped a rescue deserves a big hand !
default_aktion033.gif

I will post summer pics of her, I have a feeling that there is an awesome mare under all that hair !
default_wink.png

Edit to add : Hobbyhorse , could you tell me what you know about the mare you saw ? My farrier thinks that she may have been foundered during the summer months so she may well have been lame then. Winter must have saved her, with the grass being gone, she has come out of being foundered.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOO HOOO!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
Great job!! She looks like an angel!!! You did a really good thing taking her in!! I can't wait to see summer pictures!!

Leya

mad for mini's said:
Edit to add : Hobbyhorse, could you tell me what you know about the mare you saw ? My farrier thinks that she may have been foundered during the summer months so she may well have been lame then. Winter must have saved her, with the grass being gone, she has come out of being foundered.
Man, I wish I could remember the site I saw her on. She was back East somewhere, maybe Ohio or Missouri? (Sorry, didn't pay attention at the time.) Her name was "Honey" and the site said she was four years old and AMHA registered but not R. It's mostly the pictures I remember, and the sad video. It was definitely taken in winter as there was mud everywhere and she had the fuzzies firmly in place just like in your pictures. She was clearly limping as they walked her back and forth for the camera but it was hard to tell why from the footage as her hooves weren't clearly visible in the mud. I remember thinking if I could see her in person and have her lameness evaluated I might have taken her but was uncomfortable with the fact I couldn't see her in person first. Poor Honey! I'm so glad you got her.
default_wub.png
My mom will be thrilled as she's the one who sent me the link to Honey originally.

Leia

Thanks Hobbyhorse ! I'm not sure if it is the same mare. Honey is the name that I gave her , it isn't her original name.( unless I am really good at reading a horses true name
default_wink.png
) And I have no registration for her, she is too tall for AMHA although that doesn't mean that she couldn't have been at one point, I guess. And if you saw her in Ohio then that is pretty close to our area so she could have made it here to Michigan easily enough. That is the only bad thing about rescues, sometimes there just isn't much known about them. I sure wish I could find out where she came from though.

Latest posts

Back