So who now owns Zorro for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the horse BUT certainly not worth $400K and you are right, it's a paper thing only, great marketing ploy.

Sorry, ClickMini, I knew what I meant, I just didn't say it all! Yes, I did mean I would expect that with a price tag like that, Zorro's foals would all be well out of my price range. If there was one I could afford, I'd have to think "cull"!!
laugh.gif

Does it seem inappropriate to anyone else that we are critiquing somebody's horse and how much it was purchased for? This seems like a recipe for hurt feelings and upset mini owners. I really appreciate the educational aspect of the forum and not so much of this gossipy stuff.

yes good point he is gorgoues though:) but ti shocking when you here amini went for that:)

wub.gif
love him:)

I think there is too much being said here, too many comments made, when most are guessing, maybe not knowing the entire case, (not that it is any of our business). I do not believe that how that sale came about, or how much money was spent, has a whole lot to do with us. I think cases like this, this wonderful horse is there for us to ohh and ahh over, not bicker over what SOMEONE else paid for the horse. Or for us to make assumptions over a sale that was meant to be between the buyer and the saler. Yes, they did put the price in. Their horse, their ad, their right.

This is a wonderful, dynamic stallion. Is he worth it???? I don't know. Prints is a very average little filly, I have spent a ton on her in vet bills. Is she worth it? Many have accumulated enormous vet bills to give dwarfs a good quality of life. Are they worth it? Heck, they won't even ever product a foal to regain anything financially. I could go on and on. My point here, it is worth it to me, as I am sure it is to this buyer, and no matter what you may think, we are doing what's right for us, no matter the reason.

We make decisions based on what we know to be true and what means we have avaliable to us. When we do make those decisions, is it your right to tell us how wrong we are, or call us fools? Not unless you are forced to pay a percentage, or it all!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is pretty simple and a matter of public record. The stallion was owned by two individual parties who each had a percentage of the horse - say 50/50 for example. When Party A wanted to buy out Party B - (which was obviously allowed for in the original purchase contract) they could not decide on the value of the horse so that Party A could assess a dollar value and buy out Party B. This issue went to court and the judge ruled that the horse was to be sold on PUBLIC auction to determine his value and then Party A and Party B would split the proceeds according to their percentage owned. Well Party A bought the horse at the public auction (in other words he paid himself) and the "value" was established so that he could then pay Party B the percentage and thereby be the sole owner of the horse. I believe the only people who made money on this deal were the lawyers!

well just imajine of you were in the buisness, had a few million to bust and it was burning a hole in your pocket and you already have a HUGE farm.you needed a stallion to be able to expand your herd so you bought the best in the buisness. he would be worth the cash (probaly triple)when he got retired form breeding.

that^ is my theory. plz no flames i am new
rolleyes.gif

In the Standardbred world auction prices are published in their magazine along with the names of buyers.It is a matter of public record. IMO the price paid and the other details should not be discussed or criticized by members of the forum. If you were talking to the buyer&seller in person I dought(sp) that these comments and questions would be raised.

Congratulations Mr. Whitt!!! Zorro is a beautiful horse who can do it all, and is admired by many. Congratulations on your purchase of him, may he continue to sire gorgeous foals for you!

Andrea

l also think he's an awesome stallion and wish the guy all the luck in the world.

Nothing gets people going faster on something then when they hear of someone who can afford the bucks to own such a beauty. l also noticed he owns First Knights Redi or Not always wondered where he went
laugh.gif
. l'd give my eye teeth to have any of his stallions except for one and l'd take any of his mares in a heart beat not because they are pricey but because they are beautiful to look at and must be pure bliss to have around and there is no way in this lifetime that would happen for us but good for him.
biggrin.gif

disneyhorse said:
Congratulations Mr. Whitt!!!  Zorro is a beautiful horse who can do it all, and is admired by many.  Congratulations on your purchase of him, may he continue to sire gorgeous foals for you!Andrea

480933[/snapback]

I absolutely agree with Andrea, best wishes to Jonathan and his family (who all very much love this horse)!

I know that no one on this forum means any ill will and I myself do not like gossip, it can be so hurtful, so to help set the record straight so to speak please read Stacy Score's post above that explains everything.

In addition to Stacy's post; Party A already owned a huge percentage of the horse and as such the actual out of pocket cost was a much more reasonable amount. However; the $400,000 is very much a real price tag.

Zorro is beautiful and has amassed an extensive show record. He is now siring beautiful foals that are winning in the show ring. Zorro was also well represented at the World Show Sale with some of his offspring bringing good prices. I think Zorro is well on his way to following in his sire's hoof-steps
biggrin.gif
!

Hmmm well he doesnt really float my boat but hey this is me.

Honestly, an object is only worth what the ultimate buyer is willing to pay and if Lucky Mr Whitt is willingly able to pay this amount for Zorro then good for him!

Congratulations to him I say.
aktion033.gif

Helen

I never meant any ill will, I hope my posts did not come across that way.

Zorro is actually one of my very favorite stallions, and I DO see his worth, truly.

I just think there are circumstances which noone can always see or fully understand unless they themselves are involved directly and I'm certainly not about to guess or criticize the motives, just being a bit envious is all.

smile.gif
But in a good way!

Liz M

How fabulous for Mr. Whitt to have this stunning stallion solely for his own. I admit I'm a closet fan of his breeding/showing program and he's done an outstanding job of putting together a herd to die for! It would be wonderful to have the income to purchase the herd he has selected, but each horse definitely can stand on it's on - he's definitely no fool!

I've also never heard a bad word spoken about this gentleman, but only positive comments about his enthusiasm and abilities!

As to pricing - we should all look at this as a boon for Mini pricing overall that such a value could be placed on a Miniature. Zorro is quality and his show record proves that - looks, ability, pedigree and progency - he is a complete package!

I agree- I have watched this young man from complete "newbie" to seasoned campaigner- OK he had the money to do it, but you know what they say about fools and their money- he is no fool!! He came form nowhere- got a lot of really good advice and backing form good, honest people- BUT he had to have the common sense to find them, money can just as easily find nasty people intent on giving you as little as possible for it! I've seen that happen over here, more than once, and the people leave the scene, disillusioned. This young man took that horse through halter right on into harness, which I really do admire- how many TOP halter horses have gone on into performance. I do believe he really loves his horse, too, so there was obviously the sentimental aspect to take into account- basically all that HUGE price tag does for me is prove how much he wanted and loves the horse! I think Zorro is nice (you know I'm very reserved with my praise!!) Would I pay that much?? If I had it and I loved the horse, Yes, of course I would. As has been said we spend HUGE amounts on "lost causes" as others might see them, what's the difference?? Does it make the horse worth that much?? Not to me, certainly, but to Jonathon- Yes, I think the horse is probably worth the world to him
smile.gif

Congratulations Mr. Whitt!!! Zorro is a beautiful horse who can do it all, and is admired by many. Congratulations on your purchase of him, may he continue to sire gorgeous foals for you!

Andrea

My sentiments exactly Andrea!

He is much nicer in person! I hate gossip too
no.gif

Any time an ad is shocking or different from the norm, the intent is to get people talking about the subject matter. Publishing the prices inspires people to gasp, gawk, and gossip. Just as naming a horse something outrageous such as "God" and then heavily promoting it inspires gossip as well. So it achieving the intended result. If we weren't here talking about the price he paid and the horse that sold, then his ad did not accomplish the intended goal.

I sat ringside at nationals one year and watched Zorro show. He was directly in front of me by the rail. He was my pick. One exquisite little horse. Oh yes, if I had the money, I'd have spent it on him too. He is that special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again Lauralee,

I was thinking the very same thing about the ad and getting people talkiing!

I also agree that he is an EXquisite little horse!

I have never heard a bad word about Jonathan either and am very happy for him :). And if money were no object I can only imagine the horses I might own! :)

Susan O.

As said by others the ad is getting people talking - generally this is a good thing - the advertised price on Zorro will catch the eye of people with really big $$$$ in the large horse breeds -and perhaps FINALLY the minatures will be able to take their place of respect within their larger counterparts. In my humble opinion part of the reason our horses haven't gotten "equal time" in the large horse industry is because they generally don't carry the same $$$ value as national champion large horses where it is NOT the least bit uncommon to spend several hundred thousand dollars and often well into the millions to buy a really good horse - for the miniature industry this advertisement is a "good thing" - but I do freely admit that if this breed starts getting prices that high that I will be out of the industry pretty darn fast because there is NO way that I can even remotely afford them - that said, I am still all for it because generally those prices go along with high quality and I believe that is what we are all striving for.

Congratulations Jonathon Whitt on your purchase of your beloved Zorro - I know that he will be a pretty happy camper prancing around with your beautiful mares!

Stacy

Latest posts

Back