So what IS a grullo(a) exactly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona, what a great photo of 3 duns! I really like that.

I have a little guy which everyone thinks is grulla. He looks like one but he has no dorsal stripe. I believe he is smoky black, but everyone says he is grulla.

I think the key is having that stripe.

Here is my Grulla/o, he is my new driving prospect and I love his color. He has a dorsal stripe and striping on his legs. His mom is a paint, thats where he gets his white from.......

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

trouble005.jpg

trouble011.jpg

Here is my Grulla/o, he is my new driving prospect and I love his color. He has a dorsal stripe and striping on his legs. His mom is a paint, thats where he gets his white from.......
Not only is his mom a pinto, HE is a pinto too! Your boy is a grulla pinto!
default_yes.gif

Yes, Grulla is correct as far as registrations are concerned, for either sex, but I prefer to use the correct terminology...it's a bit like using Cremello for any CrCr animal.

I understand the Dun test to be as reliable as the original Tobiano test and would be worth doing, if you had doubts.

Grulla is not rare, I have trouble not breeding them, all you need is a Dun, a Black based mare and off you go...

I think it was just the usual "hype" by the "Grulla admirers Society", there is always someone, it seems, willing to say a colour is "rare".

Basically, a colour can't really ever be rare, not for any length of time, and Grulla has been going since horses became horses ...Champagne was relatively rare when it first crossed over into Minis but all you need is a stallion carrying the colour and, although it often comes out a little biased, half his foals will be Champagne...and so on.

BlueDunsDogs032.jpg

This is one of my Grullas and this....

mouse2.jpg

is one of her daughters, in show coat but not clipped.

This has been very informative, thanks everyone. I'm really enjoying all the pictures
default_wub.png

So, rabbitsfizz, you said "I understand the Dun test to be as reliable as the original Tobiano test and would be worth doing, if you had doubts." Does this imply that there is a newer Tobiano test that is NOT as good as the old or ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, rabbitsfizz, you said "I understand the Dun test to be as reliable as the original Tobiano test and would be worth doing, if you had doubts." Does this imply that there is a newer Tobiano test that is NOT as good as the old or ?
Knowing Rabbitsfizz, I am guessing she is probably being sarcastic and she really means she feels it's not worth a darn.
default_wink.png

No, actually, I wasn't...I have no experience of the "old" Tobiano test, so cannot pass judgement on it, many said it was OK, but I also heard a lot say it was not, so I would not have based a horse being Tobi on the test, but would have accepted it as a back up of visual proof!!

Yes, there was a Tobiano test based on finding markers around the Tobi area, which seems to be the same as the Dun one, it is not a test for Dun, per se, but for markers associated with Dun, I would assume that, like the Tobi one, it is more reliable when the animal is H/Z, rather than h/Z.

Hopefully a "proper" test will be along shortly, it is often the case when they get this close.

No, actually, I wasn't...I have no experience of the "old" Tobiano test, so cannot pass judgement on it, many said it was OK, but I also heard a lot say it was not, so I would not have based a horse being Tobi on the test, but would have accepted it as a back up of visual proof!!Yes, there was a Tobiano test based on finding markers around the Tobi area, which seems to be the same as the Dun one, it is not a test for Dun, per se, but for markers associated with Dun, I would assume that, like the Tobi one, it is more reliable when the animal is H/Z, rather than h/Z.

Hopefully a "proper" test will be along shortly, it is often the case when they get this close.
OOPS Sorry Jane...the way I read into it I thought you meant it wasn't very reliable.

Hi All Grullo (a) fans--

love to see the information and writings--

here is my grullo stallion-Vegas. And true colored grullas may be a bit uncommon, but I agree-Vegas has thrown nothing but dun factored foals the last 3 years--and very reliably bred to my black mares has nice grulla foals.

He has really good dun factor--dark leg barrs, dark dorsal stripe, webbing on the face, and neck barrs-(which I understand from the big horse dun people-are harder to come by)

great pictures everyone!

Since we're sharing pics....here's my grullo mini gelding, Merlin.

I also have a grulla QH mare...and have had several grullo/grulla horses here in past years, but only two now.

merlinjune08.jpg

Latest posts

Back