So Much Fun

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday our ADS club had a Scavenger Hunt. Not just a regular scavenger hunt but a cleverly thought out driving scavenger hunt.
default_smile.png

Our VP has a farm several hundred acres in size out in the woods where she set up 3 marathon like trails out thru the woods. The red trail was about 3 km. The blue trail was about 3.3 km. And there was an additional trail that you could take that added about 1.5 km. You could go as little as you like or as much as you liked. These trails were laid out much like a marathon course but there were no hazards. Instead, along the way there were "treasure chests" that contained unique items; plactic insects, small water bottles, specific brand candy bars, etc. Your job was to collect as many unique items as you could within 1 hour. You could take any trail or all of the trails or head out across the pasture, however the "treasure chests" were not easy to locate unless you were looking in the right place. They weren't hidden, just not obvious. We had a map with clues to each location, but if you were looking at the map you could easily drive right past a "treasure chest". There was enough room and enough brush and trees that you were alone most of the time so you couldn't just follow someone. After your hour (honor system) you brought your "loot" to the scoring tent and your score was added up. Ribbons were handed out to the various divisions just like a CDE. We had about 20 entries from minis up to a pair of Haflingers.

The weather was brutal however. The sun was extremely bright and I had to take off my sweater when it got up to 75.

I highly recommend this for a club activity. It was great fun and, as our club is want to do, gave us an opportunity to eat lunch.

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Aww.....ONLY an hour? And warm weather too! My internal clock runs REALLY slowly when I am out driving - I would probably still be there!
default_laugh.png
Our driving club does things like this too. Last fall it was a poker rally - build the best hand you can from boxes of cards left out along the trail. Lots of fun! Wish I was there.

That does sound like fun!! Of course, 75 degrees and doing anything (or nothing) sounds pretty good about now!!!

What a great idea, thanks for posting it. That would be so much fun! Laura

Thanks for the idea, Al! I am going to pass it on to Maureen (Happ's). Have you ever looked into mounted Orienteering? That is another idea that seems like it could be adapted to driving. :D http://www.nacmo.org/

Sounds like a lot of fun! Maureen used to offer a driven games day which was a total riot, I loved it. Have you guys seen that Driven Paintball game that's modeled on mounted shooting? I want to try that, TREK, driven orienteering, poker drives...there's so many possibilities!

I saw a book review in the latest Driving Digest magazine for a pamphlet on driven games from the CAA. Might be fun to get and try out.

Al B said:
The weather was brutal however. The sun was extremely bright and I had to take off my sweater when it got up to 75.
Hey, we've had sunshine! Quite a lot of it the last few days, actually.
default_yes.gif
At this point I'll settle for temps in the upper 40's though...it's too early to clip and much warmer than that and Kody can't work on account of heat stress!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

Leia

Sounds like fun, and a great way to bring out drivers/whips of all kind -- those who want to try CDE, those who only drive in an arena, youth, etc.

Amy and Leia, DEFINITELY let Maureen know that there are three (and certainly many more) who would enter this.

She's always looking for ways to bring in new people...

Al, you have ALWAYS been known to have FUN in most anything you do..
default_wink.png

But this does sound like it was fun for ALL.
default_saludando.gif

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

Latest posts

Back