So many questions..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Bradford

Reaction score
First off, I will say that we don't show..our horses were bought strictly for pets..although I have to say..the idea of showing is very intriguing!
default_smile.png
I really know nothing about my horses..I do know that I was told my gelding could be registered, they just never did..he has papers, but I haven't seen them yet. He was actually brought in from Tennesee to an amusement park for their petting zoo/ picture op..I found him on craigslist, the guy that was selling him bought him from the amusement park..he had noticed him and several other mini's behind the scenes in a small pasture, he inquired about them and was told " we're done with them, we won't be using them anymore" He asked if he could buy the one he was interested in and was told no, if he wanted one, he had to buy them all, and so he did. He sold the others.

By the time I found him, AppleJack was the only one left. The man that bought him only had bad things to say about him, he bit, he kicked, he used a few choice words that I won't repeat. He practically gave him to me to get rid of him, however, after hearing his rants about him, I started to wonder if maybe I didn't want him afterall. I told him that I wanted to come out and spend some time with him before I made a decision, he was for my kids afterall. 5 minutes after meeting him, I knew he was the horse for me and I am proud to say he has not showed any of the behaviors he was said to have.

I was very upset to find that when I bought him, the owner told me that his papers indicated that he had not had any shots since 2008!! I called the vet and had her meet me back at the barn by the time I got there and got him taken care of. I asked the man what his name was and he said the park had his name listed as " number 173"
default_sad.png

Our mare, Bella was bought from our farrier who said that the only thing he ever did with her was trim her hooves, he hadn't taken a brush to her in 2 years.

My question is..how do you get a horse that has been so isolated to not be spooked about EVERYTHING. I tried to clip Bella's whiskers and I thought she was going to break her neck trying to get away. It's about to warm up and I am eager to get them bathed and beautiful..but when I think about how freaked out they are..I'm dreading it. Help?

Michelle

Michelle,

You'll probably get lots of answers to this because everyone has their own way of training. I personally use clicker training. It has worked for me on so many levels from basic handling to spook training to advanced trick training. Alexandra Kurland is the expert on cicker training for horses, has written many books and has worked extensively with minis as well. You can read more about clicker training by following this link: http://www.theclickercenter.com/

Sounds like your new kids had a rough start in life and its going to take time to bring them around.

Skip the clippers and other scary stuff for now. Work soley on brushing, currying, combing, and hoof picking. Take everything slowly and stay calm. I find talking to my horses while I work helps. I say things like, "Okay, lets see how much dirt we can pull up with this curry comb". I'll show them the curry brush before I start. I do the same with all my tools. I don't use treats very often, but I do find that when one of my girls is anxious about something, having a treat or two to refocus their brain does come in handy.

Once you have them staying relaxed during a basic grooming session, bring out stuff like the clippers and just turn them off and on. Don't try to clip anything. I also will just rub the clippers (without a blade) all over them while its one. Starting slowly at first and keeping the sessions short. The idea is to stop before they get worked up all over again.

Remember that a horse has two brains: LEFT AND RIGHT. What you do on one side is NOT being considered on the otherside, so it's like starting with a whole new horse each time you switch sides. So, each training session should work on BOTH sides until you have your horse relaxed.

I'm a firm believer in "approach and retreat" too. Finally, when I first got my horses I knew *nothing* about horses at all. When we brought our first weanling home, it was mid-August (hot!) and she still had her full baby coat (think thick and heavy). She was miserable from being so hot, but I knew there was no way *I* could clip her. So I found someone with lots of experience and it was the best $75 I had spent so far that year. The woman was quiet, efficient and respected my little girl completely. She took her time and let the horse lead the way. I also could watch and observe her technique as well as ask questions.

Good luck!

They need lots of attention with slow movement so they get use to the idea that "you" mean "good things" are gonna happen not bad. If they know how to be tied start with grooming. If they object to being tied or cross tied you will need to work with a helper and slowly get them used to standing still. When they stand without moving or fussing, praise them and MAYBE (depending on whether they have bad habits of biting) you can occasionally use treats to reward them for good behavior.

RE-training older horses is more challenging than training a baby as you have to first overcome the old or unwanted behavior.

You need LOTS of patience and NEVER lose your patience. If you find yourself getting frustrated, stop working but try to stop on a positive note.

We had had the "opportunity" over the years to tame down several horses that we bought.

It is always helpful if the scared horse can see a calm horse and know that you are not going to hurt them. Patience is key and realizing that this animal was in a less than ideal situation for years. It will take some time to reassure them. I do find that it can be helpful to have some treats in your pocket so that while they ar eeating them you can brush them, lift their feet, or just get them to come to you.

Moving slowly and being consistent with their new training is important. Building their self confidence is also key. Putting them on a halter and walking them to a grassy area where you can brush them while they eat grass gives them a treat while you earn their trust.

If Apple Jack is calm (and a gelding) he could be a great advantage in speeding the process along.

It will be well worth your efforts
default_yes.gif

Best of luck to you.

I Wow, thank you..I have to say I am very impressed with how far they have come. I can say with confidence that they are really starting to trust me..I just sit in the stall or pasture for sometimes hours to just observe them and talk to them..the have been coming up to me and nuzzling me occassionally..
default_smile.png
My girls love to sing to them as they brush them, so looking back on what you have said..I guess they have come really far already which gives me hope that they will be 100 percent confident in our love before long.
default_smile.png
Thanks so much for taking time to advise me and put my mind at ease..I sure love those little stinkers!!

Michelle

Everyone has given you great suggestions. My big suggestion is to start at 'ground zero' with your horses. Who knows what kind of proper training they have had....if any.

If you go to our 'Links' page on our web site there is an article at the top about halter training foals. If I were in your place I would start with your horses just like I would a new baby except for the 'hug restraint'. You want to be sure your horses have the very basic knowledge they need before trying to introduce something new. http://www.sunrae.com/reflections/links.html You don't want to try to tie or do anything else until the horse has the basic training of Haltering, Walking & the all important Whoa.

You may be amazed what a few weeks of very consistent training can accomplish and keep asking questions!

Sitting in the pasture sometimes for hours was absolutely the right way to start. Your instincts are spot on and that's why they are already trusting you. Yes, they have come a long way in a short time so congratulations for that. I am still working on getting my girl to trust me enough to "catch" her and I've had her for 9 months already. But she's 16 and obviously did not come to me with a very high opinion of humans! Lots of approach and retreat, and NEVER getting frustrated is key.

Latest posts

Back