So if you had a choice, would it be a pasture of

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I currently have one pasture full of mares, and another pasture full of geldings, and will have a second pasture full of geldings...so yes, we like the geldings here. But, we also like the mares--if I had to pick, well, I'd hate to give up the mares to keep the boys, but then I wouldn't want to give up the boys to keep the girls either.
default_laugh.png

I notice little difference in activity level between the two pastures. Some of the mares run & play more than others; the Shetland mare is much more lively and energetic than the Mini girls are. Some of the geldings move around more than others. We have a couple mares that are especially dirty...one is always straining her urine with her tail; not sure why she can't lift her tail out of the way, but she just doesn't bother...she certainly can lift her tail if she wants to, she just doesn't bother. Some of the other mares aren't so dirty--they actually stay quite clean. The mares probably fight and pick at each other more than the geldings do, or else maybe I've just got a couple of mares that are unusually grumpy.

Okay, if i was not breeding...

I have always been drawn more towards stallions / gelding ...also, personally, to me they are easier to name and so many neat boy names out there. I have a list of foal names about a mile and half long and most are names for colts as those are the ones that just pop into my head at random.

I like a mixture of both...I have 3 mares, 1 stally and one gelding plus a new filly and colt from this year! I do prefer mares but I wouldn't trade my stally or gelding for another mare.
default_saludando.gif

Mares.

Coming from a farm of more mini geldings then mini mares at this time, I would have to say I would like a herd of mares only. Infact I am currently planning to change my current herd to only 1 gelding, and the rest mares. We've always had more big horse mares then big geldings and I simply like mares more. Gelding are reliable, but the more mares I get I am just fascinated with their personalitys. I enjoy my gals very much so.

Right now I show, that is my hobby with the miniatures. I have had the most fun showing my mare, but I'm guessing that is her personality
default_wub.png
I have all my mares bred this year, and this is something new for us. It isn't all about the breeding here. And if ever foal is a colt, I hope to geld them all and likely keep one, since geldings aren't that bad
default_wink.png

BTW, I am a big Gelding fan
default_laugh.png

I'd have a "mixture" of both mares and geldings. I have a few mares I would never be able to part with, they are special in their own way.
default_wub.png
But I do admit the boys are awfully neat too, but I'd rather keep a gelding than a stallion. It's much easier to keep them where they belong when mares are around.
default_smile.png
I do love a good gelding!

lf not a field of stallions then for sure mares...geldings l really have to think twice before adding any more around here..l always wanted them because we couldn't have any but now that we can l'm finding l don't know what l thought l was missing..

Mares! My saddle horses are mares and my miniature is a mare. I'm hoping for a filly to keep the tradition going.

Sometimes they are a little emotional, but that is what draws me to them, their passion. It's magical to me.

I have loved reading your replies.
default_smile.png

Since I only have one gelding, I'd love to watch a pasture of several boys to observe the differences from a pasture of mares.

Good question!

I love the geldings but over the years the miniature horses I grew most attached to were my mares. The geldings do love to play together and have spunk but mares can too - they all have such different personalities. So if I had to pick it would be mares.

If I had to choose a riding horse though it would (quarter horse) geldings.

Geldings
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Love them
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I have only had geldings, I have been around lots of mares and they seem so Bi((chy and more aggressive. I'm not saying they cant be sweet, it is on THEIR terms.. Boys seem more loving all the time..

Its like human boys and girls. Boys are easier-they let so many things GO. Where girls make issues of most everything, they know what they want -when they want it!! They want us all to know it! IMO

My boys love each other and play so much-getting good exercise... They love us as dearly as we do them...

I would have to say geldings! for minis and big horses. I find them to be all around nicer and friendlier and easier to work with

I like the comness of the mares in a pasture, but I love the geldings games of chase, over all, I would say I like geldings best!!!

I choose mares, mine acts and plays like a boy, untill shes in heat, then I run to my geldings!!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
Altho I gelding my stallion soon, so i guess i am picking geldings on my place. I have 2 fillies, 2 geldings and 1 soon to be gelding. Love my fillies sweet loving personality, but love that my gelding is the same everytime. My ol' reliable as I call em lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back