snake bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvsminis

Reaction score
We live in Arkansas, known for it's copper heads and rattlesnakes. Last summer I found a pigmy rattlesnake in my little horses pasture. I was able to kill it, but have been worried ever since that one might get bitten. When I asked my vet about it, she said that they probably wouldn't survive it, but offered no assistance in what I need to do to try to save the horse. Has anyone ever had one of your horses bitten, if so, what did you do. I had a friend that raises big horses, and she said that pennicillin would be the best to use. She has had one bitten before, but like I said it was a big horse. She used the pennicillin and the horse lived. Any info you can give me would definitely be appreciated. Thanks, Luvsminis.

I don't live in snake country, but have friends that live in rattlesnake country and I believe there is an antivenem that the vets can obtain. They have lost horses to snake bite because it isn't always available so they try to train their horses to stay away from snakes by getting a coiled up fake snake and electrifing it so when the curious mini checks it out they get a little jolt! Not 100% but at least helps cut down some on causualties.
default_wacko.png

There are a few forum members who have experienced this situation. Hopefully they will post.

Since the horse is often bitten on the nose/head -- grazing or just investigating -- a major concern is the swelling of the head and nasal passages. A horse only breathes through it's nose. If you are in snake country, please obtain and keep on handl, some plastic tubing. Flexible enough to insert into their nose/airway but not so soft it will totally collapse with pressure from swelling. I believe that some of the larger air filter tubing for fish tanks was mentioned. You can also buy various sized clear tubing at places like Lowe's. It must be inserted and taped so that it doesn't fall out at first.

Yes, there are antivenoms for various types of snakebite. Often it must be obtain from a hospital, etc.

I sure hope you don't ever need this type of vet care but, applaud you for looking into WHAT IS NEEDED should you have the situation occur.

In that sort of living condition, I would probably keep on hand Epinephrine (sp?) and antihistamine pills, as a back-up.

Hi - I've been lurking on this forum for over a year, thoroughly enjoying reading and learning more about minis (I have two). I had to break my lurking mode when I saw this topic, however, as sadly I've been through the whole rattlesnake deal (with a full-size horse) and just finished talking with my vet about what to do if one of the minis was bitten. (I found a baby rattlesnake right outside the gate the other day, so it's not unlikely to happen).

Anyway, my vet (and the local equine hospitals around here) recommend that the best things to give a horse that's been bitten are banamine and dex. If you have the powdered small packets of dex, two of them would be the dose for a mini. If you have the injectable, my vet suggested 3 cc. And a "normal" dose of banamine (I usually go with one turn of the dial on the paste, which equals a 250 pound horse dose). My vet said NOT to give antihistimanes for a snake bite (although I can't quite remember why not), although yes to antihistimanes if the horse is having an allergic reaction to say, a yellowjacket sting, which happened to me last year so I gave banamine, dex and benadryl).

I do keep sections of tubing available (in sizes for both big and small horses). My vet just reminded me you have to keep the tubing in somehow and he said crazy glue works as well as anything - just get it in and worry about getting it out later.

The horse I had who was bitten by a rattlesnake survived. He was bitten on the leg (and was wearing fly leg wraps at the time, which served to lessen the venom going in). Vets don't give the antivenom unless it's absolutely necessary and in my case it wasn't. The horse was on antibiotics and wore ice wraps on his leg the first night. Full recovery.

I had a friend whose lovely Fresian stallion was bitten on the tongue by a rattlesnake that got into his feeder. This happened right after my yellowjacket episode and she remembered the banamine/dex combination and gave it to her horse before loading him on the trailer and rushing him to the hospital. The vets said he would have died if she hadn't given him the medicine because his throat had started swelling and the drugs kept the inflammation in check.

So, banamine and dex are our friends when reptiles or other critters bite!

I just had my Tea Cup Chihuahua et bit by a rattlesnake. I quickly called my vet and I was told to give Dex and Penicillian. I asked about Banamine but was told the Dex would act like Banamine so not to give him any. By the quick response by having Dex on hand probably saved his life.

I was told the Pen keeps any infection from the snake bite from getting infected, that's why the Pen. Not all vets will give Banamine out to the owner because it is not a good drug. Unless you know what you're doing and when to use and when not to, Banamine should be on hand at all times. You should be able to buy Dex from your vet. Pen you can buy at the local feed store.

Due to the extreme heat, snake bites here in Texas are on the rise. Everyone, be very careful around your gardens and your hay stacks.

I just had one bitten by a snake and we do not know what kind it was. She was bitten under the chin luckily, her face was swollen up to and under the eye. We gave her Dex., PCN, Banamine. The swelling went down a lot in 24 hours, and was nearly all gone by 48hrs. We were lucky and yes if they get bitten on the nose they can swell in the face, head and nasal passages and could die from it. Snake bites on the legs however (after reading up about this) is harder to detect as the legs do not swell like the head bites do.

I keep dex on hand as it has several uses and is not expensive to buy, it keeps longer than the expiration date on it as well if kept in the refrigerator.

Good luck, I hope you never have to experiencce it though.

Beth

[

I think I am a little lost in this discussion.

Please tell me what the technical name of "dex" is, or is that the name , and where do you get it??

Thanks

I as well would like to know what dex refers to. Thanks

You can get Dex from your vet. In the past, another version of it was called Azium (popular for giving horses who broke out in hives). Dex comes as either a powder or injectable form (which you can also give orally). The powder can be mixed with feed (if you're not in an emergency type situation or mixed with water into a syringe and given orally). I keep an empty tube from banamine paste that I use for mixing dex and water.

Dex isn't something to be given lightly, however. I think of it as the equine version of prednisone for people. Since it's a steroid, it can be a trigger for laminitis/founder for horses prone to that. (Ironically, dex is used in one of the main tests for Cushings, often associated with laminitis/founder. Go figure.) Sadly, I lost a rescue pony last year that very way. He had a horrible infection after eye surgery and we gave him dex for a few days. He foundered, badly, and had to be put down after a valiant battle on both our parts.

So, I view dex as a "life or death" type of drug, only used for serious, serious situations. For hives, I use benadryl (as my vet said, No horse has ever died from hives. Many horses have died from founder.), even if it's slower working.

Sorry to go on and on, especially as a newbie here. This topic is just so close to me that I can't help it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I just want to thank everyone who wrote in on the snake bite subject. I have been worried of them getting bitten ever since I found that one in their lot. I am definately getting these items, tubing, dex, banamine and pennicillin to keep on hand. I hope and pray I never have to use any of it, but I want it on hand if I do. Again, thanks to all of you for your contribution to this subject. Luvsminis

After reading about snakebit horses I realize I need to get more prepared. Living here in Texas we see plenty of copperheads and water moccacins. We even killed a rattlesnake a couple of years ago. Not sure if our anatolian shepherds would attack or be basically curious. Saw them recently curious with a snake near the fence and it just slithered back under. I have heard that guineas are great for killing snakes. Of course they are irritatingly loud. I also heard that the white ones are not as noisy. Anyone care to share their guinea knowledge prior to me going out guinea shopping? I would really hate for any of our animals to get snakebit.

After reading about snakebit horses I realize I need to get more prepared. Living here in Texas we see plenty of copperheads and water moccacins. We even killed a rattlesnake a couple of years ago. Not sure if our anatolian shepherds would attack or be basically curious. Saw them recently curious with a snake near the fence and it just slithered back under. I have heard that guineas are great for killing snakes. Of course they are irritatingly loud. I also heard that the white ones are not as noisy. Anyone care to share their guinea knowledge prior to me going out guinea shopping? I would really hate for any of our animals to get snakebit.
That is really good to know. We had guineas, and my husband said that the snake activity did stop as long as they were around, then when we got rid of them, the snakes came back. He just bought some guinea chicks the other day to raise. So maybe that will help. I now keep banamine and pennicillin on hand just in case of snake bite until I can get ahold of the vet. Still don't know how to use the tube yet in case the airway swells shut. If anyone out there knows how, please let me know. Thanks. Luvsminis

We live in an area with rattlesnakes, garter snakes and BIG bull snakes.

We have been told that bull snakes are territorial and will drive the rattlesnakes off. I dont know if it is an old wives tale or not. We do bring every bull snake back to the barn when we find them.

When I had a ranch for 27 years, in a very rocky/mountainous area, I never saw a rattlesnake one. We had bull snakes all over the place. I also had geese. I was told that geese will get rid of rattlesnakes to.

Good Morning,

The current issue of Horse & Rider has an article about this very subject. Here is the question and answer:

Q: I live in a foothill area of California where rattlesnakes are common during the summer and early fall. What can I do to

protect my horse from being bitten? What should I do if he does get struck?

A: Snakebites are relatively common in the California foothills. They're rarely fatal to horses, but thye are painful, expensive to treat, and sometimes result in facial paralysis.

Being cold-blooded, rattlesnakes seek shade and moisture to keep from over-heating in the summertime. Potential snake hangouts include stream banks, unmowed fence lines, areas around boulders and other large objects, and spaces under water troughs.

To minimize your horse's risk, trim back any vegetation that might provide a shady spot, including along fence lines and around any large objects in your horse's pasture. Most important, set your horse's water trough flat on the ground, with no space underneath. (Many of the horse's I've treated were bitten by a snake lurking underneath an old footed bathtub/waterer). If you can, also place your fence lines well back from stream beds.

If your horse does get bitten, call your vet immediately. If you have penicillin on-hand and know how to give an intramuscular injection, give 3 cc per 100 pounds of body weight.

You have two concerns: the immediate swelling around the bite, and the subsequent infection and toxic effects that the snake's venom has on your horse's internal organs.

If the bite is on the muzzle (most common), the swelling can compromise your horse's breathing. Horse's can't breath through their mouths, so if something blocks their nasal passages, they can suffocate. For this reason keep two (2) 8-inch lengths of 1/2-inch garden hose, fire polished on the ends, in your first-aid kit, along with a tube of K-Y jelly. If it appears your horse's nostrils are swelling so much that air won't be able to pass through, lubricate the hose lengths liberally and insert them into his nostrils to enable your horse to breath until the vet arrives.

If the bite is on a leg, gently cold-hose the wound while you wait for the vet.

If you're on the trail when a bite occurs, send your trail-mate ahead for help (one of the many reasons not to ride alone). Dismount and begin walking your horse slowly toward the nearest place the vet will be able to drive to. (Make sure everyone knows where everyone else is going).

When the vet arrives, he or she will likely consider administering antibiotics, steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as Banamine, tetanus prevention, antihistamines, and intravenous fluids. In extreme cases, he or she may also perform an emergency tracheotomy to restore breathing until the swelling subside.

Some veterinarians may have a vial of multivalen antivenin available to counteract snake venom, but the cost is about $400 per vial, and many vials would be needed to treat a horse. Because of cost and availability, antivenin is rarely used.

An important caveat: Many horse owners have access to the drug known as "acepromazine, or "ace". Do not give this to an animal with a snakebite, as it will make the situation substantially worse by drastically lowering blood pressure.

by: David Turoff, DVM, Foothill Mobil Veterinary service Placerville, California.

The above should cover ANY venomus snake bites, from rattlers to copperheads.

My boss's 2 year old nephew was bitten back in April by a baby rattler three times on his hand. He spent a week in the hospital and they gave him 60 vials of anit-venom serium at the cost of $1800 per vial. To date the little boy is doing extremely well and looks like he won't loose the use of his hand. They are still watching him closely. Baby venomous snakes are more potent than a mature snake. My daughter was working horses for another member of our club one evening after school and notice that one of her miniatures face was really swollen. She found where he had been bitten on the face and had already started getting to the point where he couldn't breath. The vet same immediately and they did do a trech right there and then put the horse in the trailer and went to Abilene with it. The horse did't make it as it had been bitten more than once. The family that owned the horse does live in Texas where we have lots of different kinds of venomous snakes.

Karen

Living in AZ, I have had horses, and other animals bitten before.

A few years ago I posted about one of my mares that was bit on the nose one week before she foaled! IF I had not caught it about one minute after it happened, she would not be here today. It was early spring, when their venom is the worst, and she got it right on the nose. (This is usually where horses get bit too because they are curious so they want to see what it is making that noise!)

I got a vet on the phone right away, mine was out of town. Her first recommendation was to take a section of garden hose, and get it fed up the nostril on the side doing the least swelling. When I explained it was a Mini, she said no, a garden hose was too big. (duh)

My saving grace was that I have fish also, and my aquarium vaccuum is much smaller around that the garden hose- maybe 1/2 to 5/8ths around and more flexible than a garden hose too. I ran it, cut a piece and got it up her nostril. That was the only thing that saved her. She would have swelled completely shut and suffocated to death.

I then through her in the trailer and took her to the equine hospital, and after a large bill, there was not much they did for her really. They gave her a couple of things, which did NOT slow or stop the swelling- that just had to take it's course.

Edited to add: Keep some kind of good holding tape on hand too, because you are going to want to bend the tubing gently up and attach it to the side of a halter, and tape it there by the noseband. Elastikon tape will usually stick to anything!

She was so swollen her mouth would not close, but bless her heart, she ate soft foods anyway. I could hear her clear across the yard, sucking air in through that tube. It was just awful. She was swollen clear up past her eyeballs and it just broke my heart to watch her.

After two days, the tube started to get loose, and then the end of the third day it fell out on it's own! Yeah! The swelling was starting to go down!!

She foaled one week to the day after she got bit, and by that day, you would never have known what she had just been through. I prayed that she would NOT foal while she was so swollen and miserable. I dont know if she would have come through it ok.

Thank heavens she survived with no ill effects and no other problems. However, it depends on what type of rattler, what time of year, how old it is (the babies cannot control the venom release and usually shoot the whole thing), how much venom your horse gets when bit, etc... My neighbors had two bit by the same snake and lost one. The venom does damage to internal organs and she died, not of suffocation or infection, but because the venom caused her organs to shut down. It took several days and they did everything they could to save her, but couldnt. The other one healed up fine. They had two dog bit that year too, one made it, one didnt.

I will never again be without my aquarium tubing- it was just the right size for her nose (she is about 33.5") but you might want to look for something smaller for a Mini foal. (They do make aquarium tubing smaller too, but you want it big enough they can breathe thru though.

Our vets have never recommended anything that you can keep on hand to save their life in a pinch (besides making sure they can breathe). I have never seen anything that makes the swelling stop, or makes them feel any better. All you can do is hope they dont get a secondary infection, or that it does not cause damage internally to organs, etc... Once you are sure they can still get air, you have time to get them to a vet, or have a vet come to you, to see if anything else can be done.

By the way, that baby was named Snakecharmer!

I have never seen an animal partially paralyzed from a snake bite, or the results of it- though I am not saying it can't happen. The steroids mine was given did NOT stop the swelling, nor reduce it any, though I am sure they didnt hurt her either. I dont know anyone here that has ever used the antivenom.

Oh, another thing after being bit... make sure the horse is kept quiet while recooperating, and cool, if it is summer time. Maybe in a quiet stall with a quiet buddy next door. I soaked pellets and also fed equine sr while she was swollen and having trouble eating. It was easy for her to maneveur and get the food down.

Edited to add: Keep some good tape on hand too. You will want to gently bend the end of the tube up and tape it to the side of a halter to keep it in place. Elastikon tape is excellent. It sticks to ANYthing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in AZ, I have had horses, and other animals bitten before.
A few years ago I posted about one of my mares that was bit on the nose one week before she foaled! IF I had not caught it about one minute after it happened, she would not be here today. It was early spring, when their venom is the worst, and she got it right on the nose. (This is usually where horses get bit too because they are curious so they want to see what it is making that noise!)

I got a vet on the phone right away, mine was out of town. Her first recommendation was to take a section of garden hose, and get it fed up the nostril on the side doing the least swelling. When I explained it was a Mini, she said no, a garden hose was too big. (duh)

My saving grace was that I have fish also, and my aquarium vaccuum is much smaller around that the garden hose- maybe 1/2 to 5/8ths around and more flexible than a garden hose too. I ran it, cut a piece and got it up her nostril. That was the only thing that saved her. She would have swelled completely shut and suffocated to death.

I then through her in the trailer and took her to the equine hospital, and after a large bill, there was not much they did for her really. They gave her a couple of things, which did NOT slow or stop the swelling- that just had to take it's course.

Edited to add: Keep some kind of good holding tape on hand too, because you are going to want to bend the tubing gently up and attach it to the side of a halter, and tape it there by the noseband. Elastikon tape will usually stick to anything!

She was so swollen her mouth would not close, but bless her heart, she ate soft foods anyway. I could hear her clear across the yard, sucking air in through that tube. It was just awful. She was swollen clear up past her eyeballs and it just broke my heart to watch her.

After two days, the tube started to get loose, and then the end of the third day it fell out on it's own! Yeah! The swelling was starting to go down!!

She foaled one week to the day after she got bit, and by that day, you would never have known what she had just been through. I prayed that she would NOT foal while she was so swollen and miserable. I dont know if she would have come through it ok.

Thank heavens she survived with no ill effects and no other problems. However, it depends on what type of rattler, what time of year, how old it is (the babies cannot control the venom release and usually shoot the whole thing), how much venom your horse gets when bit, etc... My neighbors had two bit by the same snake and lost one. The venom does damage to internal organs and she died, not of suffocation or infection, but because the venom caused her organs to shut down. It took several days and they did everything they could to save her, but couldnt. The other one healed up fine. They had two dog bit that year too, one made it, one didnt.

I will never again be without my aquarium tubing- it was just the right size for her nose (she is about 33.5") but you might want to look for something smaller for a Mini foal. (They do make aquarium tubing smaller too, but you want it big enough they can breathe thru though.

Our vets have never recommended anything that you can keep on hand to save their life in a pinch (besides making sure they can breathe). I have never seen anything that makes the swelling stop, or makes them feel any better. All you can do is hope they dont get a secondary infection, or that it does not cause damage internally to organs, etc... Once you are sure they can still get air, you have time to get them to a vet, or have a vet come to you, to see if anything else can be done.

By the way, that baby was named Snakecharmer!

I have never seen an animal partially paralyzed from a snake bite, or the results of it- though I am not saying it can't happen. The steroids mine was given did NOT stop the swelling, nor reduce it any, though I am sure they didnt hurt her either. I dont know anyone here that has ever used the antivenom.

Oh, another thing after being bit... make sure the horse is kept quiet while recooperating, and cool, if it is summer time. Maybe in a quiet stall with a quiet buddy next door. I soaked pellets and also fed equine sr while she was swollen and having trouble eating. It was easy for her to maneveur and get the food down.

Edited to add: Keep some good tape on hand too. You will want to gently bend the end of the tube up and tape it to the side of a halter to keep it in place. Elastikon tape is excellent. It sticks to ANYthing!
Thanks for the info on the tubing. How far up would the tubing have to go? We were just at a show and now my gelding has some kind of skin infection. I always spray with Lysol before putting shavings down, but I noticed that they had what looked like lime stone on the ground in the stalls. So I don't know if he is having a reaction to that or something that I put on him or the flies. I am calling the vet in the morning. Anyhow, thanks for the info on the tubing. Luvsminis

I know hogs will kill rattlesnakes. My uncle brought a old hog farm back in the early 50's and as kids we all tramped the hills on his place and never saw a snake of any kind. I think it was in the late 80's or earlly 90's before they ever saw a snake and it was a rattlesnake. His place was on the back side of Yosemite and he owned eighty acres up there. His place was so far from town his driveway was 3 miles long of dirt forest road and they would drive once a month down to around Fresno to go grocery shopping about 90 miles away. They only lived up there in the summer so snake were out by then.

Latest posts

Back