small little poops

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
one of my little guys has for 2 days had poops the size of grapes. not at all normal for what l usually pick up. no change in feed that l know the other little one is doing his business the same as always bigger and nicely formed as far as poop goes. could this be a sign of something wrong l don't recall ever in the past few years seeing any poops this small. maybe it is a lack of water perhaps though l do see him drink during the day. he is eating well running around clear eyed so no outside signs l can see but do worry it could lead to something l don't want.

Can you tell if it's dry and hard? Try soaked beet pulp to get his water intake increased or may try adding a little orange flavored metamuscle (sp) to his feed for a couple of days to get things moving a little better. At least you're getting poop. Is the volume the same?

It does sound like maybe he needs a bit more hydration. One way to tell is to pick a ball and break it open. It should be moist not dry. Compare it to one of your normal balls.

If it is dry you might add a bit of salt to his grain to encourage him to drink more.

yep, sounds like he needs to drink more water. Funny isn't it. I know who's manure belongs to which horse. We horse people are weird, huh?

[SIZE=14pt]Haha! Yes, I know which poop belongs to which horse! If the water is too cold he might not be drinking enough. Do make sure he is getting some salt. I have a horse that is not a good drinker, and he got much better when I put salt in his food. He would not eat it free choice, so now he gets it whether he likes it or not. [/SIZE]

Marsha

I have noticed this in winter months due to reduced water intake. I feed moistened beet pulp 3x a day just to maintain the fluid levels. One other sign you might look for is urine in the snow. It will be "concentrated" and even appear to be bloody. Its not blood just lack of adequate fluid intake.

Marsha Cassada said:
[SIZE=14pt]Haha!  Yes, I know which poop belongs to which horse!  If the water is too cold he might not be drinking enough.  Do make sure he is getting some salt.  I have a horse that is not a good drinker, and he got much better when I put salt in his food.  He would not eat it free choice, so now he gets it whether he likes it or not.  [/SIZE]Marsha

530607[/snapback]

I have been told to add salt to my elder gelding's feed. Just wondering what type of salt? I think I read somewhere that it's not supposed to be the iodize table salt that we use for our food. Anyone?

Latest posts

Back