Slowing down the pawing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrullaBlue

Reaction score
I used to work in a local nursing home, and a former coworker had contacted me and asked if I'd bring a couple of minis in for their "Night on the Farm" evening. I brought a donkey and a horse. The donkey, good as gold as I knew she'd be. My mini, Magic, overall, is a good boy, he's the one we take trick or treating, but I have to keep a close watch on him, because occasionally he'll paw impatiently. Thankfully he does it more at home, than away! He's the guy we take trick or treating every year. He loved the attention and was very good with the residents, however he did paw some, I had to watch his leg constantly. At home, he's a BIG pawer if he's not getting his way. Now, he's 11, and been doing it his whole life, but perhaps now's the time to stop this.

If I'm working in the barn, I will tie him, where I can supervise, and just let him stand there and work it out. He paws when we're out in the yard on grass, trying to graze, but he knows, although does not listen, that unless I drop the lead (well, his end of the lead) on teh ground, he is not to graze. Does not stop him from trying!

We had a great evening at the nursing home last night, except for a few times of Magic showing his impatience....but it was warm last night.....and had it not been scheduled weeks in advance, it was not a day I'd have taken them up there on a whim.

Just thought I'd see what others do to work on the pawing issues....

I'm sorry I don't have any help to offer but I just wanted to thank you for asking - I need help with this also. I sure hope someone that has dealt with this will chime in. Mine only does it while I'm mixing her feed up to feed her, but she is getting worse and worse about it. She even does it while she is eating sometimes.

Is she young? I don't know if it makes a difference...but as far as doing so while eating.... I had a young QH gelding who was the same way, he dug a hole to the center of the earth while I was getting his grain ready. I made him wait. As long as it took. I didn't give it to him until he wasn't pawing anymore. I used rubber feed tubs at the time, and he pawed while he ate too, oftentimes knocking it over. I eventually switched to hook over feeders...so at least he wasnt' wasting grain. But as he got older, and I went back to the tub feeders, he quit pawing while eating....I always thought he just grew out of it? But continued to do so when I got it ready....heck, my 26 year old mare paws when I'm getting hers ready...

I'm surprised no one has any helpful hints? He has always done it, never been rewarded, has always been asked to wait longer for things...but makes me wonder if that does more harm than good.

I do drive him, and the only time he does NOT paw is when he's between the shafts, which I'm thankful for. But any other time, that's all he does. Any suggestions at all on what I can do for him? Is there anything I should be doing when he's pawing? At this point, I'm just ignoring it...not giving him any postive or negative attention at all. I do leave him tied in the barn at times when I'm very close by, cleaning, and able to watch him....my barn is a dirt floor, and I now have a stall mat on the floor where I tie, because of this pawing.

I know I'm not a breeder, nor do I show or am I a regular everyone knows on this forum, and despite my info on my profile, I have been a member of this forum for MANY years, I think I found it not long after I got my first mini...which was in 2003. But I've always found this forum one of my regular visits when I can...because of all the great stuff I've learned. I'm just a mini lover....like we all are. I've had horses for 30 years...but minis only for a short time considering.

And...ya know...I just don't believe in the ideas I've received from a couple large horse folks....to kick the offending leg or smack it with a whip....just don't know that it's going to do any good. And from a book I saw......involving a dog collar strapped to the upper leg and a wooden block. No thanks.

I really think this has got to be fairly common......y'all just deal with it? Or has anything worked with you? He's an awesome horse...he's my buddy...and if I ever had to let 'em all go, HE would be staying no matter what. But...just like us all, he's got a couple little habits too...

I'm not surprised that you haven't had answers. From what I've seen mini owners let their horses get away with a lot of bad behavior that would be totally unacceptable if a big horse did it.

Sorry you haven't had more or better answers but that's probably why.

As for helping you I'm not sure that I can't offer any better solution. You're right in saying that he is showing impatience and wants his way. I have a mare that paws when tied or when it's meal time and sometimes in the arena when asked to just stand for long periods (oh, like Nationals obstacle 2 hour wait). I have slapped her leg when I'm standing with her as she even tends to wrap her leg around/over mine. It deters her for only a brief period. So if I could keep it up and follow thru with that correction every time she paws it MIGHT have an effect. What does work is to make her move and think/work, but that's also giving into her impatient "I don't want to stand here" plea. However, it's not that important to me since it's mostly in her stall or in the walkway.

Hmmm, well for the most part I solve this by leaving a horse tied for long periods of time and not reacting to the pawing. I will never untie one who is pawing, and left to stand long enough they eventually get bored and doze. That is when I will approach and praise, untie and off we go. For horses who like being groomed I will spend a minute grooming them once the pawing stops. They must stand quietly before they are approached/released tho. It takes time but most will eventually decide it is wasted energy if you are consistent and can practice often. The method I have used for confirmed pawers will probably get some negative reaction here but... I will use a strap (dog collar works) and hang a length of chain from it, heavy enough to be quite uncomfortable when it bangs the leg. I fasten the strap just above the knee (or knees on those who will just switch legs) and then leave the horse standing tied. Every time they paw they will self correct. It is important to not leave the horse alone until you know how they will react to the chain rapping there shin and then to be sure to follow the first procedure, don't release until the pawing stops at least for a couple of minutes. I have had very few horses who are not able to get it without the strap and chain but some older horses who have been known to dig holes while pawing and have done so for many years need a self activated reminder.

It's a very difficult habit to break. I've seen a lot of things tried on horses, but once it's ingrained in them they won't give it up. If the horse is young, they may outgrow it.

Andrea

Ok here is my advice. Any time you work with him, to where he gets tired at the end of his session tie him up. And I would atleast time him for an hour. And if you can put like a mat at where he is tied up that way he can't dig in any holes. It won't fix right away its just something they have to learn themselves, but do it at a time when he is tired from being worked vs him being fresh and full of beans would be better. And I would just leave him alone.

Shake and I came to a compromise on the pawing issue. He was pretty bad about it when I first taught him to tie. I would get on him with my voice or a light thump on the shoulder if he didn't quit. Now, he does this thing where he just holds one leg up like a flamingo when he's wanting to paw. I decided that I could live with that, so I do. He has never tried to paw while being worked with either in harness or in halter, just when tied. He also does that flamingo thing when I'm not fast enough in giving him a feeding. lol

No good advice here, just a funny story. I had a mare that would paw when tied to anything. I was told to tie soda cans with baling twine in front of her and when she hit them with her foot or leg she would punish herself and stop pawwing. Well the funny part is she enjoyed all the noise it made and would paw more. Any how that was years ago, now a days I just ignore it and don't reward it, just wait for them to stop before untieing.

Riverrose, that's quite funny!

Sandee, I agree, I have just let him do it....I've not liked it, but really didn't know what to do about it. Negative attention over it was still attention, so just ignored. I've never had one, big or small, quite like this one! lol

But when I have him in hand, he's "right handed" so to speak, always pawing with his right leg, so I'll be on his left side, and I will just ever so slightly live him a little push so he'll put his foot back down.

The horse standing like a flamingo is quite funny! We had a foal (QH) who did that when tied for awhile...but she outgrew it. I always told people she was "posing..." ha ha

Magic's a little impatient, and likes to try to get his way. So I know these are the reasons he does what he does....and yep, he tought me pretty quickly to put that rubber mat in my tie area!

The cure- tie him up and let him dig himself to China and back. He is being impatient. He wants to move on his terms. We tie all our horses up both big and the minis. If they paw and move around, they stay tied and we offer water every couple hours. Once they stand quiet for 30 minutes, we turn them back out. You do not have to babysit by standing by. Just make sure he is tied where you can see him from your house or where you plan to be. Make sure you tie him securely and short enough that he can not get a foot over the rope or his head down. We begin this as weanlings but shorten the time to like 5 minutes of standing still before we turn them loose. Then as yearlings the real boot camp begins. They all get taught to longe and be handled and then are hosed off and tied up.

Thank you Sandy....

That was going to be my method...on nice, comfortable days. I've even tried it....tying him to a tree in the yard, and walked away. I actually started this because I'd given him a bath, and wanted to let him dry, and figured he'd dry nicely in the breeze outside rather than in the barn. I watched him first from afar, then from a window inside the house. I've got pictures of that stunt....he put on quite a show. Rearing...pawing, rearing some more. He was surely throwing a fit. It wasn't until he quieted down I brought him in. But, the rearing makes me nervous, as he could get a foot around the lead if not tied high enough. He's an opinionated little guy, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back