Slow feeder users updates?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think, since my 2 minis eat out of the same feeder now, that I could get one "buffet" size busy horse net rather than 2 "snacker" size nets? This thread has been very helpful to me. Glad OP brought this up.

I bought a Nibble Net hay bag this summer, have used it mostly at shows where they are stuck in a stall for so long and I like it. I got a couple of smaller mini-sized Kensington slow feed hay bags at Nationals, and the horses blew through them a lot faster. They use basically a heavy string or cord instead of dividing the area with the wider webbing, and it does make a difference.

Jan

Here are pictures and a little video I did for my feeders. This is my son and he didn't want to be in the video so I tried to keep it low. I hope you can still get an idea of how easy they are to use.

[/media]
20121130_150622.jpg

20121130_150438.jpg

20121130_150433.jpg

20121130_150318.jpg

During the coldest time of the winter I use a round bale that is in a slow feed hay net in the red feeder behind the last picture. It has a roof and walls on the top. The hay is off the ground on a platform to make it easier for the minis to eat. I forgot to say, that the feeder has no feet, we cut them off so the big feeder would sit on the ground and make it easier for the minis to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the nets for 3 yrs now for both my big & little horses. LOVE them. Great for taking to shows...keeps little minds busy for hrs at a time.

Word of caution about net construction...there are some makes that use a knotted-type net where each string connection is done so with a round knot. This spring my vet showed me pics of a young horse who caught a knot between his front teeth, panicked, pulled back and ended up with permanent damage to his front teeth gums.

LOVE the slow feeder video Happy Appy!! Glad I came to read more after I replied on my post! I am going to keep my eyes peeled for pieces to craft my own slow feeder :) I may not be a great builder, but I am determined!

Latest posts

Back