Slow feeder users updates?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
So I have read a lot on slow feeders including the threads here. I really would like an update on those of you who have used them. Are you still using them? Are you happy with them? How have they held up and what type do you use? If you have tried multiple types what do you like best?

I have been working on getting mine together for a while. I like the idea of the box types since they are more like natural grazing rather than a hung up net. I am concerned about the hardness of the wire panel making gums sore though (The wire is smooth but hard) - is that a common problem or just a few horses have that problem?

I actually just got my 'slow feeder' last week. It was a torn chinch chic hay net with 1" x 1" squares that a friend was going to throw away. I sowed up the back and put if over a rubber feed bucket so that Lulu could eat it off of the ground. Absolutely love it! Granted it was weakened to start with, it is holding up to some really tough use. It definitely makes her eat slower. It takes her several hours now to eat what took 20 minutes, and I noticed that she actually will take breaks from eating because she is full. Couldn't be more pleased! Perhaps this will be the fix for her big belly. I hope so! I've done everything and she just will not drop the weight. Can't wait to hear from others and their results!

I have slow feeders taht I have made for all my horses. I love them. Been using them since the spring without any problems. The horses took a day to get use to them but now it's nothing for them.

I have slow feeders and if I have someone charging through their hay, I pop it in their stall for a few days, take it back out - gives them a big attitude adjustment.

I bought two Buddy Slow Feeders for round bales. Used one to see how I liked it. I just LOVE it. The horses figure out how to use it pretty fast and it keeps them occupied all day, yet they do not over eat and no waste. I ordered two more.
default_firstprize.gif

I've been using the slow feeder nets for about 3 years. I have 18 of them. A couple are starting to develop holes which I fix.

Never had any trouble. Wouldn't be without them.

I have been using these slow feeder bags for a few months... it takes them twice as long to eat. Like how they are working out.

slowfeedersmay12.jpg

I use Busy Snacker slow feeders. I have been using them for 2 years and LOVE them and highly recommend them. I toss a handful of hay pellets in as I stuff them and call them 'jelly donuts" . They are very durable.

Popped into this thread because I've been trying to slow the minis down and reduce waste. Loving the Busy horse bags.

I love mine! I have Busy Snackers, but now, have made several of my 'permanent' feeders into slow feeders, and they work quite well, so only use the Busy Snackers occasionally...as when the weather is bad and I feed inside the stall, and don't want to have to 'unfasten' the permanent feeder from its mount to move it inside. I have used 2 x 4" welded wire in a couple of differenc configurations, and it works well.

Margo

I also use (and have convinced a number of others around to try as well- they love them too) a small hole hay net. Each of my horses has a net in its stall at night, it allows me to be more accurate on the weight of hay I am giving each horse and i know they get what they're given, no more and no less. I find the nets convenient to use, they do slow the horses down notably, altho when I first began using them I could expect the 2lbs + - of hay they are given to last close to 2.5 or 3 hours and now it is only an hour to an hour and a half because they know how to get the hay out better. Still way better than seeing them done in 20 minutes and needing more chewing time. I'm going to be trying something new, I have a large net of the same netting as the bags are made from (1.75 in x1.75 in. holes) that I created a huge hay net from and put on a round bale. My plan is to allow the horses access to the bale for a couple of hours (give or take depending on what they seem to need and the temperature) then remove them and tarp it in to keep it dry and clean. I'll see how that goes but it will I'm sure be better than free access and less work than filling hay nets 2x a day all winter. Individual nets for their stalls at night and netted bale during the day in winter/grazing in summer.

My horses are all a much better weight on nets than they were before as well. My one gelding who has always had a cresty neck and been hard to get weight off of no longer has the crest (altho he is still heavier than I would like - grass works for him like chocolate does for me ;) )and is far more active/playful than before.

I use 6 small 1 inch hole Freedom haynets and two Busy Snackers. Some of the Freedom haynets I cut smaller and sewed with baling twine. All have been in constant use for over 4 years now and not one has broken or had a hole or worn material. I love them all, and we use them different ways.

One way is to snap or tie them onto the bottom of round 26" high barrel feeders. Husband put large eyebolts on the bottom sides to clip to. It keeps the hay clean, no waste, and natural feeding position. No pawing problems either.

Secondly I sometimes throw a large full net on the pea gravel in the common yard for them to keep them occupied while training or filing hooves on the others.

Third we have different heights of tie rings in the outside shelters to tie or clip them to. They start out eating a little high, then midrange as the hay gets eaten, then lower as the net empties which mimics natural feeding since horse are not just grazers but also browsers. In the areas we have lived we have watched all the horses browsing in varying heights of brush, trees, grass on our rugged hills. Another reason why the mustangs out here in their natural range never need dental attention, varying vegetation to eat with differing hardnesses, and varying heights.

The nets have saved hay, kept it clean, and kept them busy eating for hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a bale size slow feeder in the winter, I think its the Chick one. I like it very much but I have had problems with it getting turned inside out and through a square here and there( I dont really know how they do this) then I have to take the stringer out and figure out (like a puzzle) how to get it all back and un twisted. This happens when it gets almost empty and they nose around and grab it with their rotten little lips. Otherwise I LOVE the no waste, such a great thing.

We use EcoNets and really like them. Use everything from 2 flake to round bale size nets in 1" mesh - and I hear they now have 3/4" mesh available. Our round bale nets have held up through 2 (maybe 3? not sure) winters with 20-30 horses and are still in good shape.

http://www.econets.ca/

I use nibble nets, my big gelding has a huge one that I fill once every 12 hours, the mini has a smaller one that lasts her 24 hours. Makes feeding easy, no waste whatsoever and it gives them something to do plus it slows them down. With the hay prices here and only owning the two of them I only get square bales. They're easy to use and can be hung in the stall, on the fence or in the trailer. Love them!

Those of you who are using NIbble Nets or Busy Snackers for your minis, what size do you have? I have two large Nibble Nets for my fjord gelding but need to find something smaller for the minis. Tried the Hay Pillows on both but didn't like them as well as the Nibble Nets. Would like to purchase a couple before winter hits and prefer to connect mine to stall walls instead of tossing them on the ground which is what I had to with the Hay Pillows.

I have the snack size I think they called it and the regular for the large horse. When I stuff it it holds 2 pounds of grass hay. It makes a nice *pillow* of hay to throw on my pea gravel area. I can put anywhere from 1 to 5 pounds of hay in the nets.

Thanks for the Econet info. I have been talking to makers of other nets looking for 3/4 or 1/2 inch size holes. They think I am insane, but they don't know my minis. They are masters of figuring out the puzzles of feeder nets I concoct for them.

Thanks this thread was very helpful ! I have been thinking of getting busy snackers for my 4. Now that I hear many use them and like them I will be placing my order.

Latest posts

Back