skin issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickelsChram

Reaction score
So I just got a new horse, an almost two year old paint who's going to be my riding horse after my senior horse retires . He is very smart and catching on quickly to basic lessons like tying and being brushed. When he came I took one look at him and I knew he had a skin issue. It covers his entire back and rump,but is the worst around his hips. I thought it was just very very bad rain rot, so I got some mtg and thoroughly doused him in it and since then I have been brushing him regularly and its slowly starting to come off. Well now its coming off too well and he has two bald spots on his right hip. the hair just came off with gentle brushing. Ive never herd of that happening with rain rot, but Ive also never had a horse this bad with it. I am starting to think it may not be rain rot, fungal infection maybe? I took a picture of the bald spot, doesnt really look like any rain rot I have seen. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

GetAttachment.aspxshr.jpg

the pic is sideways, I don't know how to fix it

Could be rain rot but looks like ring worm to me. I would probably have a vet look at it, may need an antibiotic as well as some anti fungal spray or gel. Equiss derma tech works well for some skin issues.

Looks like rain rot to me and it can get very bad if its not treated. Eventually the hair will come back in. My neighbor took a horse in from sugar creeks and her entire coat came off when we brushed her to get the scabs off. Good thing is her hair immediately started growing back in especially since she was on better feed etc. She was the worst case I have ever seen as she was about totally bald

I don't know what this is. Could be rain rot or ring worm, something fungal or anything from soup to nuts. Think you should consuult a vet for a correct diagnosis so you will know what you really need to cure this thing. But I really wanted to say that although I used MTG for years, I had two horses that it backfired on and seemed to burn them. Maybe that is happening to your horse. Best wishes to you.

YEs, looks like rain rot to me too. I recently rescued a QH gelding from the auction who had BAD rain rot. And it looked like that but ALL over his rump and back.

This is him BEFORE we washed him, soaked him in antifungal and peeled the scabs off.

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back