Single Mini... Okay with the other horses nearby or does he need a buddy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little worried about that introduction - I'll probably keep them separate for at least 2 weeks before I introduce them, just to make sure he didn't pick anything up during shipping.

1509124_10100765738196793_1616849398_n.jpg

Here is the little squirt. I am absolutely in love.

It your horse is dominant and the new one is not, be sure you do not get in the middle of a herd dynamic. As a suggestion, be sure to work on your place as leader. And even if you are leader now, you may have to assert yourself over and over to stay in charge.

Good idea to separate them for a while.

Your new one has a wonderful face!

I would say I'm a pretty good leader over Mac in normal situations. ;) But good thoughts. I don't want to put Patchy at risk, that's my biggest fear. And I might put all this worry into it and nothing happen!

I love his little face. He has belly spots on each side too, such a neat looking little boy. I only have chocolate and chestnut horses, so he will fit in just fine!

Alright, so change in plans. I was offered a smaller mini, already trained to drive and free (and only 15 minutes away)! I am going to pick him up today as long as the weather holds.

Only problem - he's still intact. He's supposedly very docile in the herd but I'm not chancing it. Plans are to geld him, like I did Mac. He's eight and has been a breeding stallion.

So now I have to wonder how long it takes for the hormones to go away and some of the stallion characteristics?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard a month for every year they've been a stallion, ballpark. This is a great time of year to geld, before spring hormones are super rampant!

Latest posts

Back