Silver Bays - If you have one...can you share a clipped photo?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My youngest weaningling, Missy, is what we're calling a silver bay. I don't know if it's the fact that it's winter or what, but I'm spending inordinate amounts of time wondering what she might look like when all that weanling/winter wooly fuzz is gone. When I part her hair, the hair from the skin and up about 1/2" is solid gray. Her mane becomes more silvery every day, while her tail remains a mix of flaxen and red bay(?). And her face is getting darker all the time.
This is a photo from October:

IMG_2147.jpg

She's also the one in my avatar.

So, if you have someone in your herd with similar colors...or started out with similar coloring, would you post a clipped or summer photo?

Thanks!
I believe my gelding Dash is also consider a Silver Bay. I like the star I clipped on his hip.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx152/d...eard2009039.jpg

Yes, many Silver bays have striped hooves. Some have more striping that others. Edda isn't a mini but she does have the rather uneven stripped hooves, all my past ones,, were pretty even between blk and white.

I don't have summer photos of her yet...as she is only 8 months old.

13Dec09eddasmaller.jpg

Hooves..

eddahooves13dec09.jpg

Even silver bays seem to come in a lot of shades! Our old stallion Streaker has a body color that's almost as rich as a blood bay, but with a flaxen mane and tail, and then I've got a two year old filly on the other end of the spectrum that's so pale she almost looks palomino. They even clip out a little differently - some of mine clip out looking silver black while others look almost buff. Here are three of our silver bay foals before and after clipping.

First is Rock Rivers Carolus Magus. First as a foal, then after first clip, then again the following year shedding out naturally.

charlie76.jpg

charlieup.jpg

charlie08.jpg

Now here's Charlie's maternal sister, Rock Rivers Lola Vavoom. She definitely clips off with a buff undertone.

lolaonemonth2.jpg

lola715.jpg

And finally one of our 2009 fillies, Rock Rivers Aerodynamic. In the first picture she's only a day old. She's another one that has a buff hue when clipped. You can also see her partially clipped in my avatar for comparison.

dyna520.jpg

dynaclip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare HAD striped hooves but now they are solid black. she is 6 now. and when she was bred to a sorrel pinot she had a silver bay filly that at age 3 has turned almost black. will my mare get darker?

This is my lil girl... In her partially grown out coat, winter woolies and then when she is clipped!
IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0006-1.JPG

4312185563_3b11477826.jpg
Wow, she is gorgeous!
default_wub.png
I love the one blue eye and one brown eye, and the white stripe with the dark legs is very unique and lovely.
default_smile.png

There are some very pretty horses in here, but I can't pass up the chance to post a picture of my "baby".

All these pictures are of the same horse, and all shaven except maybe one in a summer coat... His summer coat is so short you barely touch it with a #10 blade though. We had people ask us if we even shaved him at a show...

DSC_3563.jpg

Charger004.jpg

Charger013.jpg

Charger009.jpg

Carlene: I'm really starting to think our Missy is going to end up looking like your girl when she's clipped.

I have *loved, loved, loved* seeing *everyone's* photos. What an amazing collection of beautiful horses. If our girl comes out looking half as good as some of yours, I will be thrilled beyond all measurement!

I love everyone's silver bays!!!

Lots of you have seen my Ghost, but here she is..........

MaresProfessionalPics058.3web.jpg

stripeyghostsmall.jpg

GuessWhosPrego001.jpg

Driving

GhostieDrivingFun007.jpg

Loving my girl,

ghostsig2-2.jpg

Coming to me through a snow storm

Snowstormandveganthings013.jpg

default_wub.png

I love everyone's silver bays!!!
Lots of you have seen my Ghost, but here she is..........

MaresProfessionalPics058.3web.jpg

stripeyghostsmall.jpg

GuessWhosPrego001.jpg

Driving

GhostieDrivingFun007.jpg

Loving my girl,

ghostsig2-2.jpg

Coming to me through a snow storm

Snowstormandveganthings013.jpg

default_wub.png
default_new_shocked.gif
Ghost is one BEAUTIFUL girl!!! Those blue eyes just touch her off.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Is the Gunner Kelly?

I have always loved him...

He is a sweet boy in a little package!

Prr is built just like her daddy, wish she had his pure white mane and tail!

Back