Silver Bays - If you have one...can you share a clipped photo?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
My youngest weaningling, Missy, is what we're calling a silver bay. I don't know if it's the fact that it's winter or what, but I'm spending inordinate amounts of time wondering what she might look like when all that weanling/winter wooly fuzz is gone. When I part her hair, the hair from the skin and up about 1/2" is solid gray. Her mane becomes more silvery every day, while her tail remains a mix of flaxen and red bay(?). And her face is getting darker all the time.

This is a photo from October:

IMG_2147.jpg

She's also the one in my avatar.

So, if you have someone in your herd with similar colors...or started out with similar coloring, would you post a clipped or summer photo?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my silver bays clipped:

amber53-28-9.jpg

Summer coat

amber45-24-9.jpg

Winter coat

amber312-6-9.jpg

Another clipped

abriasdbpainteddesignrubygdaughter.jpg

Summer

design58-13-9.jpg

Winter

design12-6-9.jpg

And a third clipped

esmquitethediva.jpg

Summer

diva56-7-9.jpg

Winter

diva12-6-9.jpg

Mine is a bit darker then the one you have pictured, but here is my silver bay clipped. She is pretty light for the first few clippings, but gets darker and darker as the summer/fall go on.

callieshowshape.jpg

DSC_0278-1.jpg

calliehollis5.jpg

BEAUTIFUL Silver Bays here!
default_wub.png

Usually, when you clip a Silver Bay's "winter" coat.....they will look like a Silver Dapple. That is because Bays are a black based horse, and under that red winter coat, the hair is very dark gray or black next to the skin. The Silver gene affects black....making the undercoat look like a Silver Dapple when the outer red color is clipped off.

Now, after the summer hair grows in....it is red again. (no dark undercoat) So when Silver Bays are clipped in summer, they will keep their reddish shade, sometimes with dapples.
default_wink.png

First I must apologize for not having pictures. But I have two that look alike unshaven...just like the original poster's horse. One horse's papers list him as a silver bay, the other one list him as a sorrel. Both are red with a flaxen mane when unshaven. But you really see the difference when you shave them.

My sorrel shaves out red with a flaxen mane everytime. But my silver bay is quite another story. I only have owned him since spring of last year, and he was already starting to shed out. At that time he was still red. When we clipped him for a show, He clipped out red, but where the are usually black points...his were silver.

Now this winter we had to clip his head because his briddle got too tight, and he clipped out grey. But mytrainer said that is usual with bays and silver bays. He said in Spring he will again clip out red.

Just by looking, I would say if you see any silver where a bay would usually have black points then your horse is a silver bay, if no silver then its a sorrel with a flaxen mane/tail.

Wow!! You guys really came through! Thank you!! I can't wait to show my husband and kids the *potential* of what could be under that winter/weanling fuzz!

Thanks!!

Joy - my little boy looks the same color as yours in winter woolies - and we've always referred to him as Silver Bay. BUT after these responses I'm starting to second guess?

Here's our little guy we think (or thought) is silver bay (clipped from last July as a weanling) -

AmmoandFishingPicsjuly82009018.jpg

AmmoandFishingPicsjuly82009016.jpg

AmmoandFishingPicsjuly82009019.jpg

AmmoandFishingPicsjuly82009022.jpg

Full of fur now he looks like this (taken couple weeks ago) - he's on the FAR RIGHT:

DSCN3950.jpg

Joy - my little boy looks the same color as yours in winter woolies - and we've always referred to him as Silver Bay. BUT after these responses I'm starting to second guess?Here's our little guy we think (or thought) is silver bay (clipped from last July as a weanling) -

Full of fur now he looks like this (taken couple weeks ago) - he's on the FAR RIGHT:

DSCN3950.jpg

I do think your little guy is a Silver Bay. His lower legs are a light silvery color & he is showing faint dappling. He is young yet, and until a Silver Bay matures, they usually don't show the "subtle" darker shading on their legs. There are so many different "Shades" of Bays....and the silver gene can affect them all a bit differently. His coloring should intensify as he ages.
default_wink.png

Marlene! Good grief! That's Missy's twin!! At least in that last photo!

[SIZE=10pt]We had a little silver bay filly, Loess Hills Aces Silk N Sassy, who as a weanling looked light palomino. As she matured, her lower legs were darker, and she also had the striped hooves associated with the silver dilution gene. Genetically we knew she was a silver bay because her dam carried the silver dilution gene, and sire was homozygous black.[/SIZE]

Here she is at 3 months:

Silkybackprofile.jpg

As a yearling:

Silkyyearling.jpg

And in winter coat as a yearling:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv255/l...ni/SilkyJan.jpg

My silver bay mare probably won't help since she's actually a silver bay ROAN, she's really much redder in color than I'm used to seeing on silver bays:

Copper.png

DSC_0075.jpg

16370_511985322034_188300354_30465924_7545296_n.jpg

I haven't actually had to clip her, just let her shed out last year, but here is a photo of her at Little Kings a couple years ago clipped out:

091_91web.gif

The very first foal born her was a silver bay filly:

CIMG0055-thumb.jpg

When clipped she was silver dapple like Cheyaut's first horse

Joy - my little boy looks the same color as yours in winter woolies - and we've always referred to him as Silver Bay. BUT after these responses I'm starting to second guess?Here's our little guy we think (or thought) is silver bay (clipped from last July as a weanling) -

DSCN3950.jpg

I do think your little guy is a Silver Bay. His lower legs are a light silvery color & he is showing faint dappling. He is young yet, and until a Silver Bay matures, they usually don't show the "subtle" darker shading on their legs. There are so many different "Shades" of Bays....and the silver gene can affect them all a bit differently. His coloring should intensify as he ages.
default_wink.png

Thanks Dona - appreciate that info - so we're on track then. I'll be anxious to see him clipped this year as a yearling.

We have 5 out of 12 silver bays heres a couple pictures

doubleworlds09.jpg

Doorsworld09.jpg

Rose: Thanks for mentioning the striped hooves. I didn't realize that was considered one of the traits of a silver gene.

IMG_2218.jpg

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Rose: Thanks for mentioning the striped hooves. I didn't realize that was considered one of the traits of a silver gene.
I notice in your pictures the darker muzzle and dark around the eyes and ears, and I'm certain when she sheds out this summer her lower legs will be darker, too. Defenitely one of the indicators of bay.....................and the silver dilution gene just dilutes that color down so it can appear reddish or sorrel, but we know it's really not!

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]
I notice in your pictures the darker muzzle and dark around the eyes and ears, and I'm certain when she sheds out this summer her lower legs will be darker, too. Defenitely one of the indicators of bay.....................and the silver dilution gene just dilutes that color down so it can appear reddish or sorrel, but we know it's really not!

Oh geeze....now I'm really going to be beside myself waiting!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

My youngest weaningling, Missy, is what we're calling a silver bay. I don't know if it's the fact that it's winter or what, but I'm spending inordinate amounts of time wondering what she might look like when all that weanling/winter wooly fuzz is gone. When I part her hair, the hair from the skin and up about 1/2" is solid gray. Her mane becomes more silvery every day, while her tail remains a mix of flaxen and red bay(?). And her face is getting darker all the time.
This is a photo from October:

IMG_2147.jpg

She's also the one in my avatar.

So, if you have someone in your herd with similar colors...or started out with similar coloring, would you post a clipped or summer photo?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back