Silver Bay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
When he was born I thought he was a regular bay so he ended up getting his mane and tail dyed for the local fall show. As that winter progresses (last) as I use permant dye there was a greater and greater line of dye in his tail.
default_rolleyes.gif
So I chalked him up to a silver bay BUT he has no where near the cool flaxen mane and tail color that the other thread on silver bays have.

His mane is much darker than his tail and while his tail isn't black it isn't silver either. His sire is a "regular" bay and his dam is a red roan so possible silver hidding there.

From this past spring, note the lighter tail head with darker ends from the previous years dye job

09royal4.jpg

As a baby pre-dye (notice the dark mane)

cool4.jpg

coolcowboy2.gif

Either or doesn't really matter although I would love it if he had the flaxen mane and tails the other thread did.

Sometimes regular Bays can have frosting in their tails, which would explain his tail being lighter than his mane
default_smile.png
- he doesnt look like the typical silver bay to me tho

Unfortunately bay has been a very popular color with my mares the past years so I have plenty of reference.
default_laugh.png
I've had bays that have had the frosting, much like a buckskin but his is different. His mane is a mousy chocolate, not black, even when kept in during the day. His tail is quite a bit lighter than his mane and it's more than frosting, it's hard to describe and he's not at the farm right now.

Again not a huge issue, he is going to be a gelding come spring so I'm not wondering genetically what he can pass but I am always stumped at what to do with his tail come show season. I hate to dye it but it looks strange to leave it.

What ever funky things he has going on comes from his dam's side as his sire is just a regular old bay.

pizazzstyle.jpg

He looks like a regular bay to me. In fact to me, it looks like his tail is lighter/white due to pinto possibly. We had a colt that was smokey black with 4 white socks no other body white and a tail as white as they come....but it was obviously pinto. So even though there is no body white connecting to his tail (from what I can see), his tail could be white. Hard to say for sure though without a test.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back