sick mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
Both of my mini's have yellow discharge coming from their eyes. It started with a my mare and then a couple of days later my gelding now has it. They are kept together. They are eating normally, I don't have a termometer to take their temp. This has me worried because I also have a full sized quater horse mare who is in foal that is in a paddock right next to the mini's. I dont want her to get sick either.

I called the vet but she probibly won't get my message until tomorrow.

Has any one else had this happen to their horses? What does this sound like it could be?
no.gif

sometimes windy days will cause that

if its a true infection they usually have a runny nose along with it.

hope you find out soon and i would keep that pregnant mare away from them just in case

Besides something blown in there eyes, it could also possibly be allergies. I know right now my allergies are terrible, and I have a couple of minis that have runny eyes and some do not and they are pastured together.

However just incase I would also keep them away from your pregnant mare. Your vet might beable to give them something to control whatever is bothering them.

We get that here. We call it "Eye Boogers" , if they dont have a snotty nose with it you will probably just need to get some eye drops from your vet.

First, I would recommend that you run to your grocery or drug store and pick up a digital thermometer to keep in your medical kit.

Second, do they have discharge coming from their nose too? If not, you don't have as much to worry about....IMO.

Take note of their overall behavior......Are they alert, eating and drinking normally? Pooping? If any of them are acting "off" with their normal behavior, be sure to report it to your vet.

MA

I just ot off the phone with my vet and she said it most likely isn't anything to worry about. They don't have any abnormal nasal discharge. They are eating just as piggishly as usual
rolleyes.gif
I went down to feed this evening and their eyes were looking much clearer.

It has been getting drier around here and we have been getting some pretty windy days so she thinks it's just irritation. I also remember that I had been mowing paddocks so I'm sure that kicked up a lot stuff. If anything else changes she said to give her a call.

It just had me worried because my mini mare stared, then my gelding and I had just moved them next to my pregnant mare so I didn't want them to get her sick.

Thanks for all your quick responses, that's one reason I love this message board.
biggrin.gif
wub.gif

I'm sure you are feeling much easier now...... Sounds like you are being a good protective "mini mom".

Hope you don't mind if I suggest another item to add to your medical kit.....

A bottle of human saline solution. The same stuff people use for contact lenses. It's great for flushing horses' eyes that are irritated from flying dust and debris, but not infected.

MA

Miniv said:
I'm sure you are feeling much easier now...... Sounds like you are being a good protective "mini mom".
Hope you don't mind if I suggest another item to add to your medical kit.....

A bottle of human saline solution.  The same stuff people use for contact lenses. It's great for flushing horses' eyes that are irritated from flying dust and debris, but not infected.

MA

507900[/snapback]

That's a good one to add. I never thought of that, thanks!

I call it eye snot.

Nick has a huge, thick, very long forelock down to almost his nostrils. I keep it sometimes in a scrunchie to keep it from irratating his eyes or I'll braid it from time to time.

We had bad winds today blowing dirt and leaves and debris around and I noticed that Sonny was getting eye snot so I cleaned his eyes out and put his fly mask on. Sometimes the wind causes this.

Latest posts

Back