Sick? Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
My Thirteen year old mare is sick.

She has symptoms of colic - no gut sounds, no pooping, seems very uncomfortable. Her gums are very pale, but not quite white. She will occasionally clench her stomach a few times.

She is very alert, will try to eat; she will chew up her food, but then spit it out, its like she cant swallow. I gave her some banamine and peptobismal as the vet suggested. She swallowed the pepto. She is interested in her grain and hay, but again its like she tries to eat it and gets frustrated and spits it out.

any thoughts?

How much Banamine? I have never heard of a vet saying to give Peptobismal, that would plug her up and you want her to poop! Remove any and all feed and keep her off the feed until she starts passing manure. Then start her back up of hay that you have soaked or wetted down heavily, small handfuls every hour or two. Try to get her to drink, mix molasses in water or offer her different flavors of Gatorade. Or try a very watery bran mash, but make it so watery that there is no consistency to it.

How much Banamine? I have never heard of a vet saying to give Peptobismal, that would plug her up and you want her to poop! Remove any and all feed and keep her off the feed until she starts passing manure. Then start her back up of hay that you have soaked or wetted down heavily, small handfuls every hour or two. Try to get her to drink, mix molasses in water or offer her different flavors of Gatorade. Or try a very watery bran mash, but make it so watery that there is no consistency to it.
gave her three CCs at 9:00pm, and its 1:15 now. she doesnt seem to be getting worse, which is good right? still no poop but she has peed

I agree with Jill, you should call the vet and ask them to come out and examine her. It could be any number of things, and it is dangerous for her not to eat anything for over 12 hours, as it could cause her liver to fail. Also ask the vet if there is something you can give her until the vet arrives, like mineral oil. Good luck.

I hope you have called your vet. This sounds way too much like the story I just heard from a friend whose big horse just went to the hospital with BOTULISM!! He wanted his food but could not eat it - it fell out of his mouth.

Good thoughts sent your way.

Have you felt under her jaw????? Is she sounding wheezy???? Lethargic?????

I'll guess strangles if she isn't trying to roll a lot.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Called the vet in the early morning, gave him an update, he said not to worry and he would be out later in the day. She seemed in the same condition as she had been throughout the night. Then she collapsed and couldn't stand, vet was there right away. Turns out she had a impacted bowels, but wasn't showing the usual signs because she was in shock. Seems crazy to me because her symptoms were so different then what I have seen in colicing horses. Vet also said her case went down more like a horse with westnile then a colic. She was to far gone and had to be put down. This was honestly the worst ordeal I have ever gone through and am so so upset. This mare was my first ever horse and I loved her so much.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how sick and heartbroken you are. Sending prayers of comfort your way.

How sad
default_no.gif
our sympathy to you
default_no.gif

Aww I am so sorry to read this. Sending you lots of sympathy, I understand what it's like to lose a much loved horse. x

{{{{ hugs }}}}

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
no.gif

I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I agree with an earlier post and can't understand why your vet would have indicated that you should give her Pepto....

He should of had you bring her in to be examined especially since her gums were pale and she wasn't having a bowel movement.

So very sorry to hear your sad news. Sending you hugs and my sympathy.

Latest posts

Back