Sick donkey....what sick donkey???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
First of all, I am getting a lot better at giving donkey shots, without giving myself one, as well. (just thought I'd mention that first) The hardest part of giving him the shot now is running him into a stall. He's a smart little begger.

This morning I go out to check on him and, as usual, he looks fine BUT where is the loud breathing?? It's gone! WHAT? No raspy sounds, no labored movements. Goodness knows I've been watching them all like a hawk. Hubby even noticed when it was shot time. I said to him "listen" and he said "what, I don't hear anything"............exactly my point. It's been four days of shots so maybe it just took that long to kick in. And the diagnosis could have been wrong. Who knows?

But here is what I'm thinking. And it's just a theory, we will never know for sure.

Festus just is a little imp. He's really, really sweet, but he does impish stuff. Chews off hose pieces and pokes the horses with it. Carries off the hose. Annoys the devil out of the horses. He'll go from one to the next to the next and nip at them to play. Then he'll chase them and just bug them. A lot. So what if he and one of the little horses were playing, like they always do, and someone bites him a tad too hard on the neck. Now just follow me along here. He was hoarse, remember? So he has this bite, it doesn't break the skin but it makes maybe a little hole in his windpipe. Some air comes out and gets trapped between his skin and muscle(that's the popping/crinkling the vet felt) And, until it closed up, it made breathing difficult. That would explain all his symptoms.

Regardless, he is still bright eyed and much more quiet this afternoon. I've still got one more day to give him a shot so I'll do that tomorrow.

I think I'll call the vet today.

I'm so encouraged by this.

Brilliant, just brilliant!! Way to go Festus!!
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif

What a great news! I just saw your previous post about Festus yesterday and mentioned what we did for our filly to help her with breathing. This is really wonderful. Thank you for your love and care of Festus. He is one lucky donkey!

Yeah on this good news!!! I hear you on the shots...our hard keeper mare gets rounds of steroid injections (every day for a month at a time) as needed. I must have looked like a deer in headlights when the vets at the New Bolton Center told me that would be necessary. That first couple of weeks was scary. Now? I can do it without blinking an eye. What makes it "fun" is that she's my horse that HATES being messed with. So catching her is an art. Once caught, she's a perfect lady. So, I've just learned the best way to get her into the a stall without fuss or muss (or either of our parts). Once there, the shot is quickly and easily given and we're done until the next day.

Hope the news continues to be so bright!

Latest posts

Back