Shows, Exhibitors and Perceptions Please read - editorial type

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sun Shine

Reaction score
This topic has crept up several times in the past several months amongst clubs, friends, family, training facilities, and show management teams.

For Show Management its: How can a show be successful? or How Can We Save A Show? WHy aren't they coming?

For Exhibitors it’s the age old question of what show do we attend this year? Or I don’t want to go to that show because…..(you insert your own statement)

A show’s perception counts with us- no matter what role we play.

How do we perceive a show? Fond memories, a chuckle or out right laughter at a memory? Did something touch us tenderly and makes us smile? Does someone’s actions you remember at a show make you frown – make you angry about some particular point of a show?

I have only been around the miniature and Shetland breeds for short time. SO I guess I have done a lot of observing, learning and trying to figure out what makes things work and what doesn’t.

Something that never changes is how people perceive a show and how they perceive each other.

Everyone has their own opinions of course and by no means do I want to take that away from you. But I think until someone is in the driver’s seat, it is hard to know everything that goes on at a show. And by driver seat that means every driver seat- exhibitors, groomers, families, friends, show management, show workers, etc.

Anyways – how does ones perception of a show unfold? Do they think a show is loosing its flare. Are they down right angry about an experience at a show? Have they decided not to attend a show for some reason? Is it because the routine is the same every year? -- The same people, same place, same time? Is it the doldrums? Hopefully not, hopefully we all gather at a show to enjoy each other’s company and horses.

How does a show know? How does a show know it should end or re-vamp? Or what exhibitors are thinking even? Are there hard feelings out there? How does a show know?

Has a show lost its flare because, originally the people who run it might get hit by life circumstances – something happens two days before a show, a loved one is hospitalized or even worse has just died. Or a horse or other loved pet needed to be put down the night before or the day of the show and that person couldn’t be there to comfort it because they were obligated to the run show, they weren't expendabl that day?

What if a show plans for a certain amount of horses and all of a sudden they are over run (YIPPPEEEE RIGHT?). It’s every show’s dream, but then the show team scrambles because they don’t have enough staff to meet everyone’s needs.

What’s the perception - does not having your needs met that stick in your mind?

What if exhibitors just want a change or they have family obligations that keep them from a show? Does the show know that?

There are a thousand reasons why a show might not do well one year. And it is the age old guessing game every year – will we loose money, or hopefully break even?

There are a lot of reasons exhibitors have gripes about shows. Heaven sakes, all of us- we have one or two gripes about a show, right?

Maybe the showers are way across the compound from the RV stations and of course we were assigned the very last spot which is the farthest away from those showers and all the action. Makes a person grumbly.

Or maybe this class was over crowded or too much of a rush and you don’t feel like you got your “time to shine” or “not enough space to stretch and show”.

Or how about an exhibitor in their haste, holds a class up because they forgot their back number back at the stall and the stall is way across the compound and they don’t remember it or for that matter - flustered doesn’t remember which number went to which horse. So the management team quick makes a number up and plants it on the back of that horse’s exhibitor. But in doing so, it makes a mess of things for judges, exhibitors, postings, and on and on because it was the wrong number. Happened three times at a show I attended last year. Two novice exhibitors and one veteran.

What about the exhibitor that makes a hasty decision upon entering a class, runs past another exhibitor spooking their horse, which then results in making that exhibitor and horse look bad, so they place poorly, but the one that ran past in the first place, placed first?

Or an exhibitor takes a whip in with them and sets their horse up with it, a little too close to another exhibitor. They use the whip as an aide to get the horses attention, but your horse goes bonkers because you don’t use a whip? URRRGH right?

What if you have been winning in the arena all summer long, and suddenly one show, your horse places dead last just because you or your horse was having an off day?

Do you blame the judges? Another exhibitor? The Show Management team? Or maybe even the horse?

Heaven forbid, the ultimate sin- maybe someone made a keying error and one horse ended up with points in the wrong class, and maybe the wrong sex? Or maybe the registry office saw a horses’ number one way because they are entering show results so fast they just mistake it and the points went somewhere else, maybe to oblivion?

Folks – people are people, no matter what position you hold at a show – exhibitor, groom, show secretary, gate person, show management, registry office worker, ribbon presenter.

We are expected to be perfect, right? Hopefully we all aspire to be that perfect. But sometimes it just doesn’t happen as we hope, dream and plan for.

So what do we do? Well we can gripe about it and tell everyone around you about your gripe and make things worse maybe build up hard feelings--maybe to the point of trying to persuade others to not attend that show the next show year.

These are all things I am sure we have all observed or maybe even experienced at a show. But here are somethings observed that might help:

If you have a gripe(s) about a show, or if you have some reason why you choose not to attend a show, whether personal or otherwise, you do have choices.

If you think the show is worth it, tell a member of the show management team, even if it is the gate person. But use wise judgement – if at a show and the show management team is busy, write it down and hand it to them, or tell them later when things are quieter. Or use your show evaluation form. Show Management teams can’t read minds and can’t make changes without thoughtful input. If you think of it after a show, email, snail mail or call a member of the show management team and make the suggestion.

Show Management Teams– listen to suggestions. If you are busy, politely ask the exhibitor to write it down and hand it in, or find you later when things are quieter and then listen- actively. If you are busy let the exhibitor know when a better opportunity might be. But if you want to make your show better, get feedback!

At Shows - if you are a seasoned veteran in any capacity and know things are amiss – ask if you can help. Even a potty break for a gate person is much appreciated! Or hand out ribbons for a section of a show that doesn’t hamper your show efforts, but makes someone else’s experience fun and memorable.

I guess the point here is – if a show has an off year, don’t write it off. Ask or become involved, even if it is just one planning meeting, or a note or a phone call. Your input, no matter what perspective you are coming from, these tings help a show become more successful the next year.

I hope we all aspire to think about past show experiences and evaluate what our roles are at a horse show. And please use common sense, this isn’t a forum to fry a horse show, or exhibitors, it’s a forum to help make them successful for everyone and most importantly - To Show and have fun!

And Please make your show attendance based on well thought out decisions, if you still find yourself with a gripe about an aspect of a show – time for an email or phone call, see if the issue has been addressed. Don't continue to fester, life is way to short. Wouldn't you rather be showing?

Excellent thoughts here Sun Shine!

As a long time exhibitor and also as a show committee member for a local club I have learned how valuable to all involved with a show it is to have input...and I mean input from everyone who is at a show. Everyone can contribute to improving a show and that includes spectator/non horse owners too. Like you said....it just takes speaking up.

Charlotte

Volunteer burnout can kill a show. Just because Jack and Jill have done the show for umpteen years doesn't mean they want to do it for another dozen. VOLUNTEER!!! If you belong to a club, ask how you can be involved. It might mean not showing for a year or so, but it makes it so much nicer when the work load is spread around. It also helps to bring fresh ideas to a show.

Extra exhibitors don't really affect the number of show staff. But you better plan on placing 1-6 in EVERY class, even though nobody has shown in the Milk Jug race -- ever! There's always a first time, and if you buy ribbons without the year, you can carry them from year to year.

Ask for input from exhibitors. Make sure to have the office open at least an hour after the show ends, or until the last exhibitor leaves. Listen to the complaints, address the "non political" or sour grapes ones. Especially if it's about grounds or the classes.

EXHIBITORS - PAY ATTENTION TO THE CLASSES. Don't make the other exhibitors who were prepared wait. If the show committee habitually allows certain exhibitors extra time while everybody else is ready will make people grumbly too. If you are scratching a class - LET THE GATE PERSON KNOW!! It is not REQUIRED to have sound in the barns, it's a nice thing if they have it. Check numbers in the classes before yours. shows can go from class 17 to 31 quickly if there's only 1 or even 0 entries. Don't assume you have time if you haven't done your legwork.

If you just don't have a good show, be a gracious loser. Doesn't "The Judge just couldn't use me this time" sound better than "THAT JUDGE IS BLIND STUPID AND SHOULD BE DISQUALIFIED"

default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_488.gif
default_488.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I think you'll get a pretty good idea of my perception of things from this story. This has nothing to do with a miniature show; it was just a fun show put on by a local club. I was new to the area, the arena is only about 2 miles from me and I loved showing my horse.

The first one I was able to go to I decided to just go and check things out. Got there and there were about 4 trailers there, a few people riding around, but no show. They had decided to cancel it!
default_new_shocked.gif
Didn't bother to even let the members (I wasn't one at the time) know they weren't having it. I talked to several of the people there and needless to say they were a bit unhappy. I assume that after hearing complaints about the cancellation they decided to hold it the next weekend. I didn't hear about it so wasn't able to go.

When I finally made it to a show one of the first things I heard was "Sally forgot to get a judge."
default_sad.png
So newbie me asked about it and was told "Oh somebody will do it. It's just a fun show anyway."

I waited around til the registration desk wasn't busy because I had questions. When I got there....nobody there. Waited about 10 minutes for somebody to show up. Handed her my class registration forms and told her I wanted to join the club. She said "oh I can't help you with that, somebody will be here in a minute."

Somebody showed up, I handed her my membership application, she told me how much money I owed, took my check, and that was it. No "Hi, my name is .......", "welcome to the club", "glad to have you", nothing!
default_no.gif
During the rest of the year I was a member I never once got an e-mail, snail mail, show announcement or anything else from the club. Needless to say I'm no longer a member and haven't been back for one of their shows.

I showed for 4 or 5 years in Florida (everything from 4H fun shows to breed shows) and I guess the friendliness and professionalism of those folks spoiled me.......but oh what a disappointment it has been here.

Ruffian - you are so very right on volunteering. There are so many things that need to be covered - and even if you can only spare an hour here or there - show staff AND exhibitors will appreciate your efforts. It's win-win all the way around. But more often than not, and unfortunately, I just don't think people think about it in that way.

AppyLover2 - I cannot tell you how it pains me to hear of your story.
default_no.gif
I know that an even worse part is that you probably aren't the only 1 out there with these experiences. And what exactly does that say about growing the interest in minis? Spreading the love
default_wub.png
of animals that we know enriches are lives so immensely? Just think if you hadn't had such wonderful experiences in FL - how would you have felt about being involved with minis after those newer happenings? Not a good situation. But in moving forward - how do we, and I mean everyone out there, try to handle damage control on this stuff? Jump in there - help out. How? Everyone overhears things - assert yourself and a positive attitude on the situation. Offer your knowledge and experience to those who are struggling. It only takes a second and it really does have an impact. We all want to have positive experiences. So help out in making them.

I can't help but notice that there are so many reading this thread - but only a few responses. Do I take this to mean that there is agreement with my initial post? Or is it just too long to get through??
default_smile.png

No response from many as they agree or -- worse yet, are guilty???? Guilty of not even wanting to improve the situation that many feel is a problem. You do not have to show to enjoy and promote a show.

We all KNOW about the expense and time involved in just getting there!

Add with the current economy, it's no wonder many shows are folding what may have been an annual event.

I believe it is the responsibility of everyone to at least try to keep the fun and promotion of the minis moving forward, if you are an owner who wants to do/be more than an "owner". NOT that there is anything wrong with being just an owner!!! Right now, I could be considered that very thing -- an owner of 40! My breeding has been slowed by choice and my attendance at shows slid to a halt. But, I need to get involved.

Because of this I have made the decision to attend at least 3 shows this year -- whether I take a horse or NOT, I will attend! If horseless, I will offer to assist the sponsor club; will walk the barns and talk with the others there exhibiting; will offer to assist anyone that I can (yes, I have over 30 yrs of experience with horses, 15+ with minis & fantastic trophies) in any way that I can. Hopefully, I will find a couple of newbies who would appreciate a smile, a helpful hand, an explanation of what the shows are about and how to be ready, where to go & why! Sometimes just saying "hello" makes a huge difference!!

With these thoughts, I hope each one who reads -- reply or not -- will make it their own goal to do the same.

Attend a show, be a mentor, be a kind face who has the time to say a kind word and offer encouragement.

Ask another mini person to go along!!!!!!! Encourage them to show if that's what it's about or just be a friendly spectator
default_aktion033.gif
We can always use spectators.

Even send a note to the sponsoring club to thank them -- offer comments that may help them consider their own club goals for another show. We cannot "just" complain, we need to be part of the solution.

Latest posts

Back