showing dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runamuk

Reaction score
I know we have a few dog fancy people on board........I am getting quite serious about this idea............I just do not have it in me to show horses but since my move I realized how much I missed showing (something) so...........dog's may be the ticket...............I have shown birds, rabbits, and in a limited way horses................

I know there are politics.....so aside from that what should a begining dog show person know?

PM if you wish as well

Get a mentor, join a club, and take handling classes if you can.

Grow very thick skin as the dog people are the tightest cliques I have ever seen.

I have to say I get a big laugh out of them complaining about how expensive dog shows are. They ain't seen nuthin til they show horses!

Well, I am very new to the dog show scene....it hasn't even been a year since I first took Moxie into the ring.

I had it kinda easy when I started showing her, since her breeder was an unbelievable help to getting me started! He helped me with show collars, leashes, introduced me to a pro handler for grooming tips....got me out to shows where there was competition.....gave me pointers on the different speeds for showing the dog's movements off the best, etc, etc, etc.

I guess the best tips you will get is by going to a dog show and asking people who are showing the breed you are thinking about showing what it's all about. You might get people who won't give you the time of day, but there will be some there who will be more than happy to help out.

I forgot to add, that yes, there are politics....same as the horse thing....and yes, thick skin is a definite bonus!!
default_smile.png

~kathryn

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what kind of showing you would be interested in. There are several disciplines for dogs same as horses. With Lakota I'm doing Competition Obedience and Rally-O, but have yet to go to our first match or trial we need more time under our belt and would need it to be close to home. With the classes twice a week we attend and the comeraderie of the people it's awesome. They also have agility, show handling and puppy classes in the club I go to. Showing dogs is quite a bit like showing horses...after a while you accumulate all kinds of stuff that needs to be carried so you invest in a little carrying sports bag...and it goes on and on from there...lol. :bgrin I carry Lakota's treats, toys, water bottle, collapsable bowl, towels, leashes, brush and any other little goodie I can find to throw in for my little girl for the night. When she sees her carrying bag come out and her "going out" collar...she's gets this big grin on her face and her tail wags so wildly I think it's gonna fall off!
default_wub.png
:

Get a mentor, join a club, and take handling classes if you can.

Grow very thick skin as the dog people are the tightest cliques I have ever seen.

I have to say I get a big laugh out of them complaining about how expensive dog shows are. They ain't seen nuthin til they show horses!
I have a great mentor having known her for 10+ years ...she is excited to finally break me :bgrin total enabler. Thick skin no problemo and cost is definately less than showing horses.

Well, I am very new to the dog show scene....it hasn't even been a year since I first took Moxie into the ring.

I had it kinda easy when I started showing her, since her breeder was an unbelievable help to getting me started! He helped me with show collars, leashes, introduced me to a pro handler for grooming tips....got me out to shows where there was competition.....gave me pointers on the different speeds for showing the dog's movements off the best, etc, etc, etc.

I guess the best tips you will get is by going to a dog show and asking people who are showing the breed you are thinking about showing what it's all about. You might get people who won't give you the time of day, but there will be some there who will be more than happy to help out.

I forgot to add, that yes, there are politics....same as the horse thing....and yes, thick skin is a definite bonus!!
default_smile.png

~kathryn
Thanks having seen what you have accomplished your advice means alot to me. I am lucky having a mentor who has been in the breed and knows the ropes ......she wants me to show with her and is so wonderful that she already said if my current pup doesn't work she will help me figure out one that will........................she is such an enabler and I totally adore her..........

Thanks for the input

Rori

I'm not sure what kind of showing you would be interested in. There are several disciplines for dogs same as horses. With Lakota I'm doing Competition Obedience and Rally-O, but have yet to go to our first match or trial we need more time under our belt and would need it to be close to home. With the classes twice a week we attend and the comeraderie of the people it's awesome. They also have agility, show handling and puppy classes in the club I go to. Showing dogs is quite a bit like showing horses...after a while you accumulate all kinds of stuff that needs to be carried so you invest in a little carrying sports bag...and it goes on and on from there...lol. :bgrin I carry Lakota's treats, toys, water bottle, collapsable bowl, towels, leashes, brush and any other little goodie I can find to throw in for my little girl for the night. When she sees her carrying bag come out and her "going out" collar...she's gets this big grin on her face and her tail wags so wildly I think it's gonna fall off!
default_wub.png
:
OK I have to ask what the heck is Rally-O? I am at the moment interested in conformation and if I decide to do other I will be against tough stereotypes as Chow's aren't known for "doing" although one of my chows had a companion obedience thingy certificate.......doggy good citizen maybe that's what it was
default_wacko.png
:

Can't help ya on the dogs, but what ya got against showing horses?

default_smile.png

does this mean you won't even come see us at the shows that are held in your NEW HOMETOWN?

Rori!!! We need to get you to a horse show. They are FUN.

Liz M.

LOL.....are you talking about the "Canine Good Citizen" certificate?

I took this info off the AKC page with info on Rally-O...it's a BLAST!!! So much fun..one on one with your dog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rally is a sport in which the dog and handler complete a course that has been designed by the rally judge. The judge tells the handler to begin, and the dog and handler proceed at their own pace through a course of designated stations (10 - 20, depending on the level). Each of these stations has a sign providing instructions regarding the next skill that is to be performed. Scoring is not as rigorous as traditional obedience.

The team of dog and handler moves continuously at a brisk, but normal, pace with the dog under control at the handler's left side. There should be a sense of teamwork between the dog and handler both during the numbered exercises and between the exercise signs; however, perfect "heel position" is not required. Any faults in traditional obedience that would be evaluated and scored as a one-point deduction or more should be scored the same in Rally, unless otherwise mentioned in the Rally Regulations. After the judge's "Forward" order, the team is on its own to complete the entire sequence of numbered signs correctly.

Unlimited communication from the handler to the dog is to be encouraged and not penalized. Unless otherwise specified in these Regulations, handlers are permitted to talk, praise, encourage, clap their hands, pat their legs, or use any verbal means of encouragement. Multiple commands and/or signals using one or both arms and hands are allowed; the handler's arms need not be maintained in any particular position at any time. The handler may not touch the dog or make physical corrections. At any time during the performance, loud or harsh commands or intimidating signals will be penalized.

Rally provides a link from the Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) program to obedience or agility competition, both for dogs and handlers. In addition, rally promotes fun and enjoyment for dogs at all levels of competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it Rori! You'll love it. I swear, you will. Sure there are cliques and catty gossip, but the fun far outweighs all of that. Everyone knows that dog people by and large are friendly and just a bit touched. I'm betting there are a lot more dog shows around you there in your new digs than there are here. Not near as much travel. Not near as much stress as with hauling and keeping a horse healthy and well while traveling. The equipment is lighter and cheaper (heck, so are the dogs). It's just fun. I miss it so much, but like with the ponies, I seem to be in the middle of nowwhere for dog shows. Once you give it a go, you'll wonder what you were so worried about. I'm betting there is a local Kennel Club within a reasonable distance from you. I bet they put on at least one puppy match a year. Those are just too much fun and a great way to start. Fall is usually a great time to find puppy matches.

Is that little ball of fluff you showed us a while back your new prospect? I do believe more pics are in order.
default_yes.gif
:

Yep, find a mentor and that will help you along more than anything else.

Showing dogs is expensive when you don't show the dogs yourself. Of course IMHO it doesn't make any sense to decide to show a dog and then hire a handler, but of course I'm very hands on and want to show my own dogs.

Do your research and choose a breed that is regularlly owner handled. Some breeds only occasionally have owner/handlers and it can be pretty tough to get a start in them. To hop in to showing and start with a Poodle or Doberman (both are breeds usually handled by pros) you'll probably be disappointed.

Many AKC clubs have classes available to get you started learning the ropes.

Good luck!

[SIZE=14pt]I loved the dog shows. I showed Lhasa Apsos in the 80s, Chins and Frenchies in the 90s and then my husband made me chose between showing dogs and horses. No contest.I actually tripped over my Chin in the group ring when my back herniated and lost a group 4 because of it. We were on the last pass, I was 4th in the line up and after I fell, the 5th place dog was moved up. That was my last show. Would I do it again absolutely if I was able. My breed of choice now would be even harder for me to show. I am going to look for a handler tho for my next homebred champion...Kathryn are you listening???? lol[/SIZE]

Handling classes for your local club is a great way to get into the matches, make a circle of friends to travel with and so on. Mentors are a must.

Have fun! I envy you this opportunity.

Lyn

I have to agree with pretty much everything that's already been said , and do grow a thick skin, you will find out who your friends really are when you starte beating them.
default_wink.png
:

Dog showing is a way of life, really, like us, we have a bumper pull horse trailer because we don't have a pickup, we have a big van because of hauling dogs to shows! :bgrin

It can get expensive, not so much when only showing one dog, but when you get into multiples, say you show 4 dogs on a four day weekend at $25.00 per entry fee that adds up pretty quick. Most shows charge you $5 - $8 for parking per day (at least around here) and then of course they only let one person in free per dog so we end up paying extra to get in if we only have one dog entered (I've never thought that was right). We don't buy show catalogs anymore as that is an added expense we don't need anyway.

After 31 years we still love it, it's hard to show both dogs and horses but we are not ready to give up the dogs yet! We recently found ourselves at a point where we have several veterans (all finished) and only one young dog to show and realized we were at the point of quitting or jumping back in with both feet. So with little thought we are buying a puppy from a litter due on October 3 and breeding a bitch this week (wish us luck on that!)

Do try hard to find handling classes in your area, even if you end up using a handler it's still good training and socializing for the dogs. We show our own...can't afford the handler route...and don't like sending our dogs off with somebody else even if we could.

Oh, and be prepared to end up with more than a few dogs.

Best of luck to you!

Shelley

Lets see..........Liz I will attend the Elma show and might even bring Buffy although I don't know why as she isn't what the show horses of today look like
default_wink.png
: ...and for the record I LOVE HORSE SHOWS I cannot afford them or a competitive horse so I will have to settle for watching all my friends win and helping as always behind the scenes
default_wink.png
:

Yes my new pup The chow fluff ball may be show worthy (if not I have already been informed I can easily be hooked up with a show dog LOL)...................due to low numbers in the chow ring the last few years the breed needs new people....the breeder wants to see her dogs out there showing as it gets her name out there and her program.....................I would do my own handling as the point is for me to show and I am hands on.

Shelley your entries are kinda different..........they appear higher here but don't have the extra costs for the extra people and usually are held where there is free parking....we have lots of clubs and plenty of shows......and the breeder already wants me to at least accompany her to Canada ....sounds fun to me :bgrin

Hey Suzanne there are lots of horse shows and dog shows over here the show we are zipping up to on saturday to pick the puppy up is only about 35 minutes away :bgrin and one of the amha mini shows is a whopping 6 minutes from my house :bgrin :bgrin ....hows Darrin? hope he is feeling better.

thanks to all of you, keep adding input. :aktion033:

oh in fact here is a question...................what specific obedience/training should a person focus on for a potential show pup?

I know the socializing teeth/mouth check as chows do need to learn to accept that....but any other more specific commands they should know?

BTW she hates the table
default_rolleyes.gif
: so we will have to work on that one as I always groom on the table to save my back
default_wink.png
:

CGC is a good start to Obedience....Moxie got hers when we were in Kentucky this past May....we did the CGN test last weekend (the Canadian equivalent to the CGC) and due to a huge lack in organization, Moxie did a little 'mistake' when we were in to do the end of the test and got disqualified. Oh well...that's life...

I did just a basic Obedience class with Moxie before I took her in the ring. Just to get her used to seeing other dogs, and walking on a leash (she greatly dispised collars & leashes, so I needed something to get her used to it). My instructor has also been in the conformation ring, so he & his wife gave me some tips for the show ring. Plus my mentor had me go to a show and actually handle one of his dogs in the ring, so I knew what I was getting into before I took Moxie in. I did find it a very easy switch since I had shown line classes with the horses.

I was in the same situation as you in that Moxie's breeder wanted to see NEW people in there showing these dogs (actually that's kinda the only reason he let me pick Moxie, coz he was going to keep her for himself :bgrin ). And that is also why he encouraged me to get out to shows and helped me out as much as he could! I was really impressed with that! Now that she has finished her Canadian Championship, we are working towards her American Championship, and if I get up enough nerve, I WILL get my feet wet and try some Rally-O and Obedience...maybe
default_unsure.png
: :lol:

I don't know what part of Canada your breeder is looking to go to, but if you end up in Ontario anywhere let me know!!! I'll come cheer you on!!!

~kathryn

ps lyn, just let me know when it's ready!!!! lol
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

[SIZE=14pt]I think that Chows are shown on the floor rather than the table, I could be wrong. Getting her to stand and bait is the tricky part. Free stacking is great in the ring if you can get out and away from your dog so the judge sees only the dog .....[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]I think that Chows are shown on the floor rather than the table, I could be wrong. Getting her to stand and bait is the tricky part. Free stacking is great in the ring if you can get out and away from your dog so the judge sees only the dog .....[/SIZE]

Lyn
I groom on the table though so she shall learn to love it..heehee

I find chows pretty easy to bait.......yes I have played with that with all my dogs.............my german shepherd thinks you are going to scarifice him and the aussie just cannot stand standing still so he sits :bgrin :bgrin

Kathryn If we go it would probably be in BC that is where she has shown in the past......................

annie3.jpg

I cannot wait till saturday and I must remember more batteries for the camera (it died yesterday and I seem to be out of batteries again
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

[SIZE=14pt]What an adorable puppy![/SIZE]

Lyn

very cute puppy!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

ohh yes...I remember a chow being groomed on a table at a show I was at.....we were inside in a hockey rink, dogs weren't supposed to be groomed in the area that this chow was, but surprise surprise, no one seemed to care. I was in the Group ring I think ( or puppy group, can't remember which one...I know it wasn't the breed ring), and Moxie caught something out of the corner of her eye and absolutely flipped (sure did embarrass me!!!). When I got out of the ring, after the judge making a few cracks about her disrupting his ring, I see a Chow on the other side of the arena glass (you know boards go up so far than glass on the upper part, well the dog looked like it was up on top of the boards), up on a table being groomed. I sure would have loved to have known what Moxie thought it was
default_rolleyes.gif

The biggest problem I have with Moxie, she knows when the judge is coming to look at her, and decides to SIT right at that moment! I have had to learn to watch the judge....let Moxie sit when I know the judge doesn't have her full attention on Moxie, then get her to stand as the judge approaches. I have also been rreeeeeaaallllyyyy working on her free stacking, and since finishing our last obedience course, we have been way better in the ring. But I have to use more than just bait, I can't depend on bait to keep her attention in the ring, so I take squeakers, a little ball & bait in the ring....my pockets are always full of junk. Because when Moxie decides to 'pick up on something' outside the ring, it is tricky to get her attention back and focused on standing and looking pretty for the judge!
default_wacko.png
:

Get the puppy out and about as much as possible too!! I took Moxie everywhere I could with me....and she still found things to bark at, at shows....a lady in a fur coat (that was her first flip out in the ring), the chow up in the middle of the air (well at least to Moxie that's what it looked like), and the best was the video camera man who was sitting on the outside corner of the ring at the American National Cardigan Corgi Specialty....I think that one topped it!!! She was gaiting backwards on our way back from our down & back!!! It was pretty darn embarrassing!!! I had handlers telling me 'obviously that puppy isn't very well socialized' etc, etc, etc. But I did have the judge tell me she thought I did a wonderful job dealing with it....just kept going like nothing was there, and the next day she didn't even look at it!

Can't wait to hear your dog show stories in the near future!!!
default_smile.png

~kathryn

very cute puppy!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

ohh yes...I remember a chow being groomed on a table at a show I was at.....we were inside in a hockey rink, dogs weren't supposed to be groomed in the area that this chow was, but surprise surprise, no one seemed to care. I was in the Group ring I think ( or puppy group, can't remember which one...I know it wasn't the breed ring), and Moxie caught something out of the corner of her eye and absolutely flipped (sure did embarrass me!!!). When I got out of the ring, after the judge making a few cracks about her disrupting his ring, I see a Chow on the other side of the arena glass (you know boards go up so far than glass on the upper part, well the dog looked like it was up on top of the boards), up on a table being groomed. I sure would have loved to have known what Moxie thought it was
default_rolleyes.gif

The biggest problem I have with Moxie, she knows when the judge is coming to look at her, and decides to SIT right at that moment! I have had to learn to watch the judge....let Moxie sit when I know the judge doesn't have her full attention on Moxie, then get her to stand as the judge approaches. I have also been rreeeeeaaallllyyyy working on her free stacking, and since finishing our last obedience course, we have been way better in the ring. But I have to use more than just bait, I can't depend on bait to keep her attention in the ring, so I take squeakers, a little ball & bait in the ring....my pockets are always full of junk. Because when Moxie decides to 'pick up on something' outside the ring, it is tricky to get her attention back and focused on standing and looking pretty for the judge!
default_wacko.png
:

Get the puppy out and about as much as possible too!! I took Moxie everywhere I could with me....and she still found things to bark at, at shows....a lady in a fur coat (that was her first flip out in the ring), the chow up in the middle of the air (well at least to Moxie that's what it looked like), and the best was the video camera man who was sitting on the outside corner of the ring at the American National Cardigan Corgi Specialty....I think that one topped it!!! She was gaiting backwards on our way back from our down & back!!! It was pretty darn embarrassing!!! I had handlers telling me 'obviously that puppy isn't very well socialized' etc, etc, etc. But I did have the judge tell me she thought I did a wonderful job dealing with it....just kept going like nothing was there, and the next day she didn't even look at it!

Can't wait to hear your dog show stories in the near future!!!
default_smile.png

~kathryn
OK I must admit a levitating chow would be unnerving even to a human :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

socializing is a huge issue with this breed even for non show dogs it is an absolute must...so I will take her everywhere with me and then some...........I need to locate a nearby puppy obedience class aka puppy kindergarten as I know that is always beneficial...........note to self buy cargo pants for pockets and storage of bait...heehee.......where do you get your show collars/leads? is there anywhere that has great pricing for show stuff online? I have always wanted show leads just for their ease of use but never can find them in the ordinary pet supply places.....heck I am having a tough time finding the type of pooper scooper I want
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I know for me, showing horses / having show horses has changed how I see and feel about my horses. I don't want to turn back the clock and love having nice show horses, however, there was something really nice back when I just loved them as pets and my babies... all mine were all exceptional back then.

The way I feel about dogs (my babies truly), I just don't want to start critiquing them and feeling like if I could just fix this or that physical characteristics, the dog would be so much nicer. I feel like if I did get into showing dogs, it would actually ruin a lot of what is so special for me and my fur babies.

Just for what that's worth. I know my emotional feelings about horses has changed due to showing. I love the horses but it's changed something and it's "great" for me and the horses, but would not be good for me and the dogs if the same thing happend.

I do think though that performance type of showing with dogs would be different for me (and a good thing) vs. the conformation type of showing.

:saludando: I showed dogs for more than 30 years. Loved it still do even though it's been more than 10 years since I been to a show. I started with Collies then went to Shelties and Toy Poodles. I've even handled a couple of danes for show. Can no longer show and miss it a lot. I think that the most fun I had was a Border Terrier Specility. Loved the races and go-to-ground. My very first show I went as a SPCA rep, got out of my car and here was this larger than life woman in a red turbin handing me 2 danes saying hold these for me. [EACH DOG OUT WEIGHED ME BY AT LEAST 60 pounds] . Found out later It was Lena Basquit of Honey Hollow danes and one of the dogs was Big Kim of Belladanes. Sort of like someone telling you to hold this horse only to find out you had held on to Buckaroo. Go have fun.

Back