showing dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know for me, showing horses / having show horses has changed how I see and feel about my horses. I don't want to turn back the clock and love having nice show horses, however, there was something really nice back when I just loved them as pets and my babies... all mine were all exceptional back then.

The way I feel about dogs (my babies truly), I just don't want to start critiquing them and feeling like if I could just fix this or that physical characteristics, the dog would be so much nicer. I feel like if I did get into showing dogs, it would actually ruin a lot of what is so special for me and my fur babies.

Just for what that's worth. I know my emotional feelings about horses has changed due to showing. I love the horses but it's changed something and it's "great" for me and the horses, but would not be good for me and the dogs if the same thing happend.

I do think though that performance type of showing with dogs would be different for me (and a good thing) vs. the conformation type of showing.
Jill I know exactly what your saying.........that is kinda what happened with my horses as I tried to acquire some to show and with the idea of breeding I began to enjoy them less in some ways.....now that we are back down to just the original 2 mini's I am again enjoying them more. I feel about my 2 horses the way you do about your dogs, whereas I always seem to have dogs and yet do not consider myself a true dog person. I love the chows and have ever since the first time I saw one as a kid.................for me they have been the best dogs ever..........I adore my aussie but he was a working partner first and so he and I developed a different relationship than I have had with any of the other dog residents.....he will be my only aussie I know that the only breed that will be in my home will be chows once the others have passed on.................they fit my lifestyle and temperment
default_wink.png
: so if that is the case I may as well show and own the best I can afford............I have always owned rescued unwanted retired dogs and I feel a bit selfish but I want to now own what I want not everyone elses throw aways
default_wink.png
:

Unfortunately the only 'good' ones I know of are Canadian (I just don't know who the 'good' places are in the States).... Usually you can find good deals at the shows themselves, but I'm not sure what type of collars & leashes you are looking for?

I only use nylon for Moxie, just because that was what I was started with. But I have seen people using thin leather leashes, and fine, fancy looking chains (I saw one at the last show that I wanted to buy, but the size I needed was all gone
default_sad.png
)

I found these sites through google:

http://www.dog-training.com/dogequip.htm

http://www.3cdog.com/index.php?cPath=28&os...2329262f27c69b6

Those were just a couple....google had tons of them!!

~kathryn

Unfortunately the only 'good' ones I know of are Canadian (I just don't know who the 'good' places are in the States).... Usually you can find good deals at the shows themselves, but I'm not sure what type of collars & leashes you are looking for?

I only use nylon for Moxie, just because that was what I was started with. But I have seen people using thin leather leashes, and fine, fancy looking chains (I saw one at the last show that I wanted to buy, but the size I needed was all gone
default_sad.png
)

I found these sites through google:

http://www.dog-training.com/dogequip.htm

http://www.3cdog.com/index.php?cPath=28&os...2329262f27c69b6

Those were just a couple....google had tons of them!!

~kathryn
thanks

since I am going to the show tomorrow I will see what the vendors have........I prefer leather but it is a feel thing for me I like the handle of leather.....and in horse leads I like cotton....nylon just feels wrong in my hands
default_wink.png
:

Those kangaroo leads are quite the rage right now, but even though I like them somehow I can't see spending $75.00 on a show lead that I am no doubt going to lose...

Mentors are great but always be on your guard. Before Greg and I were together he got a Border Terrier puppy from a well known breeder in our State, and was told over and over by the breeder and her friends that you show Borders in natural coat! :eek: He trusted them and so off he went with his puppy in natural coat to the Detroit Kennel Club show, a BIG benched show, only to find he had been set up. Well, the judge caught on to what had happened and his BT puppy in natural coat ended up with the 5 pt. major, much to everyone's chagrin! :lol: Serves them right. Shame on the breeder.

Shelley

Those kangaroo leads are quite the rage right now, but even though I like them somehow I can't see spending $75.00 on a show lead that I am no doubt going to lose...

Mentors are great but always be on your guard. Before Greg and I were together he got a Border Terrier puppy from a well known breeder in our State, and was told over and over by the breeder and her friends that you show Borders in natural coat! :eek: He trusted them and so off he went with his puppy in natural coat to the Detroit Kennel Club show, a BIG benched show, only to find he had been set up. Well, the judge caught on to what had happened and his BT puppy in natural coat ended up with the 5 pt. major, much to everyone's chagrin! :lol: Serves them right. Shame on the breeder.

Shelley
Thanks for the tip................I admit my mentor has been my friend for over 10 years so maybe it isn't what it seems but I have also sold her 2 horses and kept my end of the bargain....so I think we are in good shape...............after all it has taken her 10 years to convince me to show
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

Mentors are great but always be on your guard. Before Greg and I were together he got a Border Terrier puppy from a well known breeder in our State, and was told over and over by the breeder and her friends that you show Borders in natural coat! He trusted them and so off he went with his puppy in natural coat to the Detroit Kennel Club show, a BIG benched show, only to find he had been set up. Well, the judge caught on to what had happened and his BT puppy in natural coat ended up with the 5 pt. major, much to everyone's chagrin! Serves them right. Shame on the breeder.
:new_shocked: $75 for a friggin lead??? OMG!!!!!!! (I gotta start finding that kinda leather lmao)

I cannot believe a breeder would do that....well ok, actually I can...but it is hard to imagine!!! Good on the judge for doing that too!!!
default_smile.png

Not that it is the same thing, but I refuse to trim Moxie's whiskers on her face (same with the dressage horse when I show him). Those things are there for a reason....nor do I chalk, colour, thin her coat, or do any of that stuff.....but Moxie can still win over some very well bred dogs!!! :bgrin I have to admit it makes me feel pretty darn good when a pro handler in the breed (with very 'well bred' dogs) tells me she hated showing against me & Mox in her class coz she was a gorgeous little girl!!
default_wub.png
:

~kathryn

Mentors are great but always be on your guard. Before Greg and I were together he got a Border Terrier puppy from a well known breeder in our State, and was told over and over by the breeder and her friends that you show Borders in natural coat! He trusted them and so off he went with his puppy in natural coat to the Detroit Kennel Club show, a BIG benched show, only to find he had been set up. Well, the judge caught on to what had happened and his BT puppy in natural coat ended up with the 5 pt. major, much to everyone's chagrin! Serves them right. Shame on the breeder.
:new_shocked: $75 for a friggin lead??? OMG!!!!!!! (I gotta start finding that kinda leather lmao)

I cannot believe a breeder would do that....well ok, actually I can...but it is hard to imagine!!! Good on the judge for doing that too!!!
default_smile.png

Not that it is the same thing, but I refuse to trim Moxie's whiskers on her face (same with the dressage horse when I show him). Those things are there for a reason....nor do I chalk, colour, thin her coat, or do any of that stuff.....but Moxie can still win over some very well bred dogs!!! :bgrin I have to admit it makes me feel pretty darn good when a pro handler in the breed (with very 'well bred' dogs) tells me she hated showing against me & Mox in her class coz she was a gorgeous little girl!!
default_wub.png
:

~kathryn
Thats what I like to hear.........If I wanted a dog to groom I'd have a poodle.................chows are "supposed" to be shown natural.........although the politics I am reading, the over shaping of coat is rampant
default_rolleyes.gif
: :no: and even judges are sick of it...................ok now I must go back to the pics of champs and determine if the whiskers were cut :bgrin ......................

oh I forgot to say that when I mentioned pro handler....the cardis she showed were all trimmed up nice and neat, face, ears, feet.....and the base of their necks were very well enhanced....chalked, coloured, etc, etc. Did not look natural at all....I mean I know there are dogs that DO have to be groomed to the 'T' but I don't see why any 'working' dogs are unneccessarily coiffed, jmo

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back