Showing AMHR as an amateur

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_in_the_hat72

Reaction score
Considering I am completely new to showing I am so lost. I sent in to get my amateur card but one thing I'm still not sure of. I know to enter amatuer classes you must have a card but are those the only classes you can enter? The only class not listed as an amateur class that I'd be interested in is the liberty class. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Thanks

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

Having an amateur card in no way limits you to only amateur classes. You may still show in any open class. As long as the class is not listed as "youth", you should be safe. Liberty is an open class so you can still show in it as an amateur. I hope this helps!

Tammy

Thank you Tammy. That's exactly the info I was looking for. I really don't want to over do it and enter too many classes but want to experience it all. Just didn't want to limit my options if it wasn't necissary.

Thanks

Brenda

Do you HAVE to have an ameteur card if you've never shown before??? I have never shown before, this year will be my first..I didn't know that we have to have an ameteur card???

You only need an amateur card if you plan to show in amateur classes, regardless of how long you've been showing.

That's right, you only need an amateur card if you want to show in amateur. However, if you want to show in amateur, yes, you have to have one - and make sure you send in a copy of it with your entries and bring it with you to the show. To get an amateur card you just have to call the office (the number is on the AMHR website) and they will help you. The way I see it, if you are new to showing, you might as well. Amateur classes can be a good way to gain some confidence and experience before hitting the big classes with all of the professional trainers. They also have special classes at area shows, congress, and nationals that pay out for amateur incentives, and there are some really nice year end awards and such. Karen Shaw could tell you all about that. My advice - certainly take advantage of the amateur division.

Do you think it would be wise, never having shown before, to show in an ameteur class instead of going to the "real thing" so to speak? I plan to show in halter....never done it before and i'm training my horses on my own with no idea how that is even going to go....would I fare better in an ameteur halter class vs. regular halter class? Does ameteur get the same points/awards as the regular classes?

An amatuer class is still the real thing minus the trainers. Trainers can not show in amatuer classes only in open. So if you show in open classes you will be showing with the trainers not to say that you could not still do well. I show in both even if I do not do as well in open it is still great practice for both me and my horse.

Tammie~

Many shows you can get an ammy card there at the show but pay double for it. I have only showed ammy the past 2 years however I NEED to show ammy at Nationals i am dorky enough and have a hard time against the other ammys(some who have been showing for years and are as good as trainers)
default_yes.gif
: let alone the trainers in open

Well crap lol I think i'll get an ammy card and try my luck with the professional ameteurs!! I don't think i'd be much of anything against trainers...I don't have a clue what will happen to me in a real halter class...not even sure if i'll have 2 of my horses ready by the time halter class comes around!

Thanks you guys for your quick replies! I appreciate it!

I will add one thing, in amt classes the size isnt broke down or the age. Usually just amt mares, gelding, stallions. (with the exception of Nationals and Worlds and championship shows) So sometimes if you have a small horse I think they do better in a open class in their own height division in their own age. Just something to think about.

Hi Tammie!!!!!

I certainly didn't want to discourage you Stephanie from showing in open. You can still show in both. Amateur classes don't qualify for Senior or Grand championships. So, just try a bit if both. As a youth, I always showed in both open and youth. Now I'm too old for that! Plus, its another chance for the judge to see you and your horse. Exposure is important. Anyhow, just wanted to clear things up! Good luck this year.

Oh and by the way, Stephanie, you got Chase from my mom. Sinclair is doing well. You can always e-mail me if you have questions about showing. ([email protected])

Tammy

Tammy,

Thanks for the pointer, and for letting me know Sinclair is doing well! I was waiting to hear an update on how she is doing out with the mares???

I could always use pointers and tips on showing lol feel free to e-mail me, i'm trying to teach Chase how to stand still and a little on setting up for halter...give me some pointers please, i'm still learning how to teach myself while teaching him!

Latest posts

Back