Showing a Stud...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiiNiiLuVeR

Reaction score
I feel like I'm being a bother since I keep asking so many questions. But I'm so new at this.

But I read somewhere the other day that using Vicks on a stud's nose will help him behave in the ring. But can also cause sunburn. Is there anything else that might work without causing sunburn? Charles is actually a very well behaved stallion but I wouldn't wanna take any chances of harming him or another horse.

I've used vicks before, on a hormonal gelding actually, when i was showing youth as they combine the youth gelding/mare classes and i dont put it ON the nose, i put a small dab inside the nostil, sun really shouldnt be able to get inside the nostril so you should be fine
default_smile.png

Edited: spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used vicks before, on a hormonial gelding actually, when i was showing youth as they combine the youth gelding/mare classes and i dont put it ON the nose, i put a small dab inside the nostil, sun really shouldnt be able to get inside the nostril so you should be fine
default_smile.png
Ok thank you so much!

I have also used vicks as a remedy for hormonal stallions. I would just put a little inside each nostril. Its just like putting it in your nose. I would always wipe it would with a damp towl or wet wipe after showing so that it would still be useful the next time i used it. This works for some and not so much with others you just have to test it out.

The only problem with Vicks is that while they can't smell the other stallions, they also can't smell any bait! So you may be able to get him to show like he should

Your best bet is to make sure he listens to you at home and at shows. If you have a friend that you can practice with who has a stallion it might help a lot.

My first time showing our stallion I took the Vicks along but thought I'll wait to see if I really need it. He didn't show any signs of bad behavior in the aisle so I tried the arena with much trepidation. To my surprise he behaved very well. At 2 yr old he needed correcting a few times for "hollering at the other stallions" but when he got to know what his "job" (showing) was he settled down and is now (coming 5) a very well mannered little guy.

I agree.....train and work with them at home. My stallions are "studdy" when they are in their barn halters - when they are in their show halters, they are nothing but gentlemen. It's the same with breeding - they learn to do as they are trained and allowed to get by with.

I agree.....train and work with them at home. My stallions are "studdy" when they are in their barn halters - when they are in their show halters, they are nothing but gentlemen. It's the same with breeding - they learn to do as they are trained and allowed to get by with.
I doubt I'll need the Vicks because he behaves very well. He tries once to acting studly but I tell him to knock it off and he's perfectly fine! I just asked to see what everybody thought, is all!!!

I'd try and show him without the Vicks, not because of sunburn but because of him not being able to smell the bait and probably not being really as "on" for you in the ring. They CAN surprise you, how they are to handle at home vs. how they may behave in the ring. One thing you can do if you see he's got his toy out is stick your finger in the side of his mouth like you're getting ready to put a bridle on (they have no teeth where I'm speaking of, where the bit would go) and rub the top of his mouth with your finger. They hate it and it makes them put up their you know what.

GOT to keep an eye down below. First time my parents came to watch me show and I wasn't used to really showing much (my trainer did it for me). It was a local show only, but a 4H one with lots of QH's and plenty of kids. At that time, "Derby" was the only stallion on the show grounds and he was The Man if you ask him. I was confused why I didn't place well (Derby beat almost every big horse he ever showed against), the Judge came to me and said "That's a very nice horse you have there, but he needs to settle down." (what? he stood so nicely for me...). As I approach the gate w/ my last place ribbon in hand, my trainer yells at me bluntly "He was masterbating the whole line up!" Great... In front of Dad, Mom, all those kids.............................. I never knew it and I was right next to him.

I would try and show him without the Vicks if you can. I don't see much sense to it unless the stallion is heavily breeding at home and just can't keep his mind on his work.

I have shown some polite stallions and they are just fine.

Honestly, if you can't handle a MINI stallion without Vicks, it doesn't need to be a stallion... or it needs a better handler...
default_wacko.png

Andrea

I think what Andrea says is correct. Too many mini people really haven't learned how to handle a horse and are not firm and consistent enough. I love my horses so much -- they are my pets, but I treat them like HORSES. Stallions especially need consistent and firm handling so they learn what is acceptable and what is not. In my example with Derby (who is now one of my geldings), he was really being a pill but at least he knew not to act out so that I could see and boy did I learn a lesson about making sure he wasn't exercising his weenie
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back