Showing a Miniature Question - Newbie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teetinytex

Reaction score
I own and have shown my AQHA mare and am not new to horses, however, am new to a tiny miniature. Tex came to Wisconsin 2 weeks ago from Texas! He is a 3yr. 26" gelding. He is not registered and I should have asked but didn't. Is he probably not registered because he is too small? I have NO idea what the rules are on this. I purchased him to train for Therapy visits and parades and around town events. I'd like to keep him active with some trick training/clicker training. However, I am not sure if I could even show at all just for the fun of it because of his size and lack of registration? He may not be 'show" quality but the more exposure to things I can give him the better. I am curious as to how he will look all cleaned up, but here he is now. Either way, he is adorable with very nice manners and personality and a stitch to work with. This was him for the farrier. If showing is out of the question that is fine. Sure I will find plenty of other things to do!!

tex and farrier.jpg

Tex being groomed.jpg

Congrats on your "first" mini. He looks adorable and perfect for therapy work and just plain fun. He is not too small to be registered, but he would need to have papers and a signed transfer for AMHA or AMHR. Does he have any white on him except for the blaze? Or how far around his face does the blaze go? If he has enough white in the right places he could be registered with Pinto (www.pinto.org). Another thing you might look into, that I just learned about in the latest AMHR magazine, is On Line Horse Agility. It is like dog agility and there is an association in Great Britain that runs monthly contests where you submit videos taken in your backyard over very specifically defined courses. A panel of judges places the entries each month and mails out awards. Check it out at http://www.thehorseagilityclub.com. You can also show him in local open shows in classes like halter and showmanship. In our area (New England) there are a number of local open shows with minis classes including driving, ground driving, in hand trail, jumping and games. If you can find other mini owners maybe you could get classes like that added to your local shows. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I will contact the previous owner about registration. The only white he has is his blaze on his face. Slight white colored hair on his fetlocks but I wouldn't say a "sock". He has a dorsal stripe. I think he will be light sorrel or maybe Pally coloring? I will check into the things you mentioned. :

I love the tiny minis and yours is adorable. Therapy work is a wonderful way to get your mini out and about and to give joy to others. I think you'll love doing that with your new boy. He's not too small to be registered. Just depends if the sire and dam had registration papers. We have fun shows in our area for minis and they don't have to be registered. All kinds of different classes and there might be something like that where you live. Maybe you can meet some mini owners from your area and find out more about local shows. Love the photo with the farrier.

Latest posts

Back