Show us your Smokey Blacks!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remington

Reaction score
Well, since I have the New Years goal of adding dilute to my breeding herd....It is a given I will be having some smokey black foals in the future. So myself, and others, can better understand what they look like now is your chance to show off your smokey blacks!!!!

Is a smokey black still a dilute, as in able to produce a double dilute when bred to say palomino, etc? I think so? And smokey blacks are created by a black and a dilute?

Lets see some awesome pics and thanks aforehand!

there is no one particular look to a smokey black. I have had some black as black and others sort of a funky black color. and yes they can pass on there creme gene.

Here are some pics of a couple of mine both half brothers (out of the same dam who was a cremello)

Here is the funky colored one

jack.jpg

and here is one who looks like any other non fading black

strikerback.jpg

My avatar mare is a smoky black. She is shown with her maximum expression sabino palomino colt.

I am pretty sure these two 2005 foals are smokey blacks.......will just have to see how they clip out this coming spring.

As their sire is my smutty buckskin pinto - Little Kings B T Buck Bandito - BTU son, so the dilute gene is there, as he has produced several perlino pintos and buckskins for me.

Erica's Emotions in Motion - her dam is a dark silver dapple mare, Mountian Meadows Dancing in Diamonds, this was my first foal out of Di personally. I know she looks like a possible silver dapple in these photos......but she was darker when I rough clipped her this summer and is a black with a silver sheen to her in winter coat........so like I said will have to see.

f46c9d4a.jpg

f496d43b.jpg

Erica's OH Boy! - his dam is a bay mare Cross Country Lil Bacon Bits - and "MR"'s full sisters have both been bay pintos......so...

f46c9d87.jpg

f46c9da1.jpg

Is a smokey black just a black horse with atleast one parent carrying the cream gene? Or are they only considered a smokey black if it is proven they carry the cream gene, like through testing, ect? I was just wondering since my little guy's sire was black and his mother buckskin, would he then be a smokey black rather than just a plane old black?

Is a smokey black just a black horse with atleast one parent carrying the cream gene? Or are they only considered a smokey black if it is proven they carry the cream gene, like through testing, ect? I was just wondering since my little guy's sire was black and his mother buckskin, would he then be a smokey black rather than just a plane old black?
Since it is so hard to tell visually if a black horse is smokey black (black with one creme gene), you would have to test to know positively (although, you could wait and find out, by breeding to a non-dilute, if you get a dilute foal then the black would have to be smokey black
default_wink.png
: ).

Erica.....your foals are awesome! And that's what I figured smokey blacks to be like. Gonna have to get me a foal of yours one of these days!!
default_wub.png
:

IMG00007.jpg

Crappy picture, as usual...sigh...but this is my smokey black appy mare, and her 2005 filly. This mare produced a palomino colt four years ago, which just produced a cremello this spring, when bred to a buckskin. The black on this mare looks like "regular" black, at first glance, but if you look closely, (can't tell in the pic) her legs are just "off" a bit from being pure black.

Question: Can this 2005 filly, possibly have inherited the gream gene from her dam, and also be a smokey black, or does it not skip like that??

This is Dixie, who I've come to believe is a Smokey Black....She has a deep chocolatey body with darker brown points, and lots of highlights that come through in her mane and forelock (I say highlights because they don't really seem flaxen)

These photos are of her summer coat...I don't have any of her winter coat, but she is much much darker with the winter coat....basically black then.

When I got her in July:

dixie7-3-052.jpg

In September:

dixie9-15-004.jpg

In September (closeup of forelock, see the highlights? and her double whorl? I love that!
default_wub.png
: )

dixie9-15-002.jpg

Do you guys agree with me? Or am I totally off base?

As a side note, she is possibly bred to a buckskin....what outcomes can you get with that match?

Thanks!

This is "Denny". He is a smokey black colt I recently bought from Tami at Oak Park Miniatures. He is sired by "Sami's Soap Suds", a cremello or perlino.(can't remember which...too tired to think straight!)

Here he is shown as a very young foal in full coat.

dennyfoal.jpg

And here he is still showing his natural coat, but somewhat shedding it.

denny2.jpg

And here he is all freshly clipped out.

denny3.jpg

jmejemima,

Your mare looks a lot like my girl who is really black, but she is soo sun bleached that she has a reddish tinge to her. She looks a lot like your mare twards the end of the summer.

This is Suzy when we got her

img051.jpg

And this is Suzy a few days ago

P1010224.jpg

P1010020.jpg

She is now a red-head! (although it is even redder in person!)

P.S. I love everyones horses!

Here our a few of our blacks that we know carry a creme gene -

Baron - Wesco Farms The Roger Baron (perlino sire x black dam)

baron_5-16-05.jpg

Charm - Wesco Farms LM Miss Charming (black sire x palomino dam)

charm_2_9-21-05.jpg

Dresden - Wesco Farms Avrils Dresden Doll (perlino sire x silver bay dam)

avril_filly_head_5-18-04.jpg

The ONLY way to make sure a black is a smokey black is to test or if they have a double dilute parent.

Erica´s foals look just like any normal black, you won´t see anything different after clipping you´ll need to test f you want to make sure.

This is a smokey black mare, she produced a cremello, and that could only have happened if she carries creme.

As you can see, she looks just like a normal black.

M_Nagano2a_small.jpg

Here are my 2, Father and Daughter.

They have both been DNA tested as being smokey black.

BC, my stallion, out of a silver dapple stallion and silver buckskin mare. The mare has never produced a non-dilute foal.

BC as a foal

29150BlackCloud1.jpg

BC as a 4 year old

29150bcawesomepicapril.JPG

BC as a 5 year old starting his winter coat

60689rightjuly.JPG

He gets these amazing golden dapples during the summer that are almost a giraffe pattern, I have posted pictures in the past and will upload them again and post later.

This is his now 2 year old daughter, Shimmer, from a sorrell mare.

Shimmer as a baby

291503daysshimeyes.JPG

60841shimmertalk.JPG

Clipped coat as a baby

60841leftclip.JPG

As a yearling in summer coat

29150J17rightshim.JPG

Edited to Add: I also have a smokey black gelding, I will post pictures of him later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back