Show 'stance'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to know how you train a horse to stand like they do in shows or images. I don't know what the stand is called or if it has a name I just call it the 'Show Stance' because that's how they stand in shows. But you see so many images of minis with their back legs spread back and their head up and they look really curious.

How do they train that, I have watched a video and the person said to train the mini t stand like that by tapping them on the back legs and they will move them back and they said its super easy to teach. So I was like ok, I'll go try with Toby, I got out my whip/crop and tried to get him to move his legs back like the video said and he would either lift his back leg or walk forward. If he moved his leg back i gave him a pat and told him he was a good boy then I went to try move his other leg and he started walking.

So I dont think that a light tap on his legs really work for him, but I find that if I had a treat he will stretch his body out for the treat and he looks really good. How to you teach them to stand like that or do you just use treats as a 'teaser' to gain their interest?

I'm not sure on any of this so sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks!

I use the halter to push the horse back a step. Stop, back the o e step to line up the hind feet, then ask for the front feet to move into position. You might just use the halter to position the front feet but generally you will need to do a little more--move the front feet by hand or push them with your toe--or push on the shoulder to move a front foot back or in a little. Once the horse learns you can just move the lead shank and the horse will move the foot--sometimes I just motion with my hand and the foot will move. Then work on getting the horse to hold the pose--and then you can use a treat to get the neck to stretch and arch.

Once the horse understands, they will have it. When I first got my stallion 2 years ago, the first year since we didn't know each other he was a terror; wouldn't stand still, would swing his butt to the side when I would try to reposition legs, twist his head and neck to the side, dead ears.. you name it he did it (even though he knew better). Going into this year, all I have to do is say "stand up" and he will plant himself and stretch his frame out and then as soon as the bait/treat comes out here comes the alert eyes, ears forward and pretty neck stretch. Now my gelding I got this year, he acts just like my stallion did, only thing is he will "stand up" but I cant get any neck stretch but he knows how he is just being a butt because we don't have a personal connection yet.

I have to say i have never trained one from the start, but i have worked with ones who have not done it in multiple years. You have to just be patient, and make sure they are VERY good at having their legs and feet handled and placed. I usually stance mine, then if a leg is slightly out, move it. If thye then move i give an ah-ah. same if they stand then move before i ask them to.

Also, you need be aware of what type of horse you are showing, and how to stand them to show their conformation off to its best. No point having a flat croup horse standing with its legs out past the square.

Thank you!

I might have to just work with them more and persist. Thanks for the replies!!
default_smile.png

I don't think I'll be showing my minis for a while yet (a few years from now) I was just curious on how people got their horses looking so good in a photo and at shows in that pose, but I guess most of my photos are just taken out in the paddocks but there is no point getting photos in that pose now (if I can train it to him) because he is so fluffy :D But that should be gone in a few weeks, its starting to warm up, Yay!

But this is him in summer, I think he may get some nice photos if I could train him to do that pose. These were last summer when he was still young.

My parents think he doesn't look like the same horse in summer compared to winter :p

Is that Kevin? Wow! Love his look in those summer pics! Very nice. And so cute in the winter fluffies! Ours always look so so different in their fluffies from their summer looks. They just look like they are two different horses, don't they?!!!

Is that Kevin? Wow! Love his look in those summer pics! Very nice. And so cute in the winter fluffies! Ours always look so so different in their fluffies from their summer looks. They just look like they are two different horses, don't they?!!!
No, That's my Tobes (Toby)
default_smile.png

We haven't gotten to see Kevin's summer coat yet! I am so excited I got him in April when he was just starting to get fluffy for winter and we are going into spring in a few weeks so he should start loosing it all soon :D

Here is Kevin when I first met him.

This was when I started handling him and his 'brother' I don't know if they are actually brothers but they were really close, He is with Elliot another give away mini that now has a great home.

This is him now :D

The third mini we got as Steve, we mainly sold Steve and Elliot because they were both 4 and were trying to kill Toby, and NO ONE hurts my Toby. He has come out of that paddock with cuts and he was terrified, Steve would tackle him to the ground when Toby was exhausted and kick the living heck out of him.

Then I went out to see them all and Toby ran to be and you see Steve right on his tail with his ears pinned back and tackled Toby to the ground (First time ever they were getting along fine) and I panicked and started whacking Steve with my crop (sorry if this sounds really cruel but he wouldn't stop) and screaming at him and Steve ran off bucking and carrying on and Toby ran the opposite way and when I cornered him (he was terrified of everything)

I put my whip down and he was sweating and shaking like heck and he was breathing really heavily and all I could do was hug him and talk to him I felt so bad because my nan said 'He was doing it for hours, I thought they were just playing I didn't take much notice' So Steve had been attacking Toby for hours.

From that day Toby was NEVER allowed with Steve, and he would even try bite Toby through the fence so that was when I had to try get him gone ASAP. But now Steve has a very loving home
default_smile.png

Back