Show ring too much for backing up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I have a show at the fair tomorrow.It is a dinky show but still a show for minis and ponys. I practised yesturday at the fair ring.And the ring is so soft and thick .That I had a hard time let alone moving the mare forward on turms. But backing she will not due. She will try but plan as Jane looks like she can`t and will go down on the butt.If I get off and ask her to back she will.But not with me in it.She is a good backer usually. What can I do in the driving classes when asked to back up. My cart is of wood and wooden wheels.Will the judge understand this or will I be penalized for this???

If it's tough for your horse it will be tough for the others too, don't you think?

And if so, the judge will likely have to take those things into consideration.

Who is the judge?

Maybe the fair organizers will have to get a small grader in the ring to make it more usable.

I'm having a really hard time trying to understand what you are saying. . . . but from what I can get, I would say just go and do your best. Try to do what the judge asks of you, if you can't, then you can't. Chances are if you are having problems with it, so will others in the class.

If the other horses all have the same problem then all will be equal. If the other horses are pulling lighter carts then they may be able to handle the footing better--they'll have less trouble going forward on the turns & may have less trouble in backing up--then yes, you will be at a disadvantage as your horse will probably be marked down.

it does depend on the judge too; some judges I know put great store in the horse backing up properly. If a horse has a great go but then fails to back up properly, that horse is pretty much out of the ribbons. Others are more forgiving & will place less importance on that part of the performance-and especially if they realize that the heavy footing is the problem.

I was at an AMHR show and my horse did everything perfect till it came to backing up and he wouldn't back up. The judge said to me they'd given me a 1st if he'd if he'd backed up instead I got a 3rd. So expect to be docked unless ALL the other horses do it. That's just my thoughts. TJ

"I was at an AMHR show and my horse did everything perfect till it came to backing up and he wouldn't back up. The judge said to me they'd given me a 1st if he'd if he'd backed up instead I got a 3rd. So expect to be docked unless ALL the other horses do it. That's just my thoughts. TJ"

It sounds like the ring is the problem in this instance, not that the horse would not back up. I've also had a horse refuse to back in a show, and get knocked to the bottom. If it's a matter that the ring is too deep, I'd ask the show manager for their advice and suggestions. If they dont' have any, just let your mare try her best without getting to frustrated. A good attempt should be enough for the judges.

In a case like that, I try to "hedge my bets" by being in the middle of the line-up rather than at an end, where I might have to go first. While the judge is coming down the line, I will carefully rock the horse slightly back and forth...packing the dirt down just enough to give the horse a bit of a head start on the back-up. If that doesn't work, and the horse tries but cannot easily go back, I will not force it. The ribbon I might win in one class is not worth ruining my horse's normally willing back-up by making it balk or rear after attempting the impossible.

Also, of great help in this case would be the use of a breeching; either false or full. Personally I will not drive without one. I find it is tough enough on these little guys to back-up with us sitting in that cart, especally one with wooden wheels which dig in, that I will do all I can to make it easier for them. Otherwise, your backing is done with the pressure on the horse's girth, even if you are using thimbles.

If rear breeching is allowed then use it. Normally you don't see this in flat ring classes, but it would help with backing. You could also use thimbles if there is a vendor there that sells them.

Laura

She is a good backer.The cart might be too heavy for her with me in it.Would people with carts with whells like a bike and wider ruber wheels, have better chance for backing? Me and the young lad next fdoor have been working with her for weeks. I find it be such a shame I can`t get her to back in the soft sand.And we have to back about 8 ft for the Obstacle. I do have breeching on my harness.Would it be okey if I just got out and backed her? Or is this not allowed? Gebie The judge is Ingrid Mackin

"Would it be okey if I just got out and backed her? Or is this not allowed?"

I don't think so.
default_unsure.png
Rather than frustrate your mare you might want to pass the obstacle or the class.

carts with wheels like a bike and wider rubber wheels, have better chance for backing
Yes they definately would. Are your cart wheels interchangeable? If they are, it might be prudent to get another set of wheels for such occations as this.

Kudos to you for using a breeching.
default_wub.png

I have the same problem in our local comunity arenas. I can hardly walk in the soft deep footing. It is really unfair for them to make you try to compeat on that stuff. It is great if you are doing barrels or poles. But, these guys don't do that and they sink to their knees. Big horse show orginizors need to think of what they are putting the little horse through. Maybe someone shouls point it out.

I am going to say I've been there. Breeching helps but short of asking them to pack the arena or move it to a grassy area there's not much you can do. Pneumatic wheels might help but doubtful on that. Pick your spot in the line up where they have been standing for halter so its packed a bit is what I would suggest.

Karen

Now I think on it, I do recall a couple of times where the footing was so bad we did go to the office and tell them that there was no way the horses could back-up in line-up because it was just too heavy and deep. We didn't whine and complain, we simply stated a fact. In those instances, the judge actually stopped us on the rail, and asked for the back-up there. We did it going both directions, if I remember correctly, and I imagine that was so the judge had a better chance to see all of us.

There have been other instances when they have had time to actually roll the ring, which is a God-send to the little guys...but this takes so much extra time, not many shows can manage this.

The open, all breed shows here don't offer driving classes period - no way they can have the dirt suitable for riding and driving. In your case, I'd mention it ahead of time to the show manager and ask that your concerns be passed along to the judge.

Jan

...and this is why I quit doing open shows. The ground is too often totally unsuitable for minis, and it isn't fair to the HORSE. Case in point....SEVERAL years ago, I'd entered the Open Driving classes (run under ADS rules, but not officially ADS-sanctioned)at our State Fair. I had just gotten a lovely mini Meadowbrook cart, and knew it was heavier than my show and my training cart, but had actually walked the arena during lunch break, and knew the rail was packed enough that my horse could handle it. HOWEVER, management had scheduled the mule TIMED EVENTS in the middle of the show--and for some unfathomable reason, even though there weren't all THAT many entries, the tractor raced in and 'worked' the 'off-rail' portion of the arena ground SEVERAL times (heck, they didn't even do THAT for sanctioned, big-time, barrels and poles; why the HECK do it for a relative handful of entries in a mule show? It was hardly the 'nationals')...anyway, my 'go' on the rail in my later class was actually quite good, but when we lined up in center ring, I could tell that the ground was MONDO DEEP-I just didn't realize how BAD it was. When I asked my horse to back, he literally COULDN'T move the cart backwards in that DEEP ground-it scared him, and he 'almost' reared. I immediately 'gave up' asking him, and of course, after a very decent 'go', we didn't place.

I was MAD-- enough that I wrote to the Horse Show manager after the Fair, questioning the rationale for scheduling TIMED EVENTS in the middle of the show(the mules had several rail and other 'quiet go' type classes to follow; it made NO sense to 'hype them up' at that point in the show, and anyone with show scheduling experience should have KNOWN that!!)...and sure enough, a better-thought-out scheduling was enacted the following year, and since.

I didn't give a FIG about losing a ribbon--heck, those things are a dime a dozen--but I HATED that my good horse was affected by such a lack of common sense on the part of the management...both in the scheduling, AND in the completely uncalled-for dirt work between timed event contestants.

Speak up ahead of time; it may just help your horse!

Margo

Latest posts

Back