Show question. Halter class, when you trot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
I have been working with my horses every day for about 10 - 15 min each day. We have a show in about 4 weeks. And I do not want them to be the unruley bunch they were last year.

Yesterday, I was thinking, when they are asked to trot on. Am I supose to go at a nice slow trot. Or should it be more of an extended trot. Or does it depend on how your horse trots.

Or am I just over thinking about this.

Another thing. How do you keep your stallions thinking about you and not the mare that walks by?

Deb

Somewhat depends on the horse, and what he looks better doing. I prefer to keep them at a pretty good clip, but not so fast that the judges don't get a good look at them.

With stallions, maturity and discipline both do wonders lol. Some are worse than others no matter what you do, but lots of work at home on paying attention to YOU instead of mares. Showing a breeding stallion complicates things too, but they have to learn to separate one behavior from the other - screaming at mares is only acceptable when you say so. A little Acclimate or Vicks on the nostrils helps too. :bgrin

Jan

When trotting away from the judge, keep speed down. If a horse has any tendency to swing his legs at all(and many horses do swing their legs in or out to some extent!) he will get worse with speed. As long as you're going directly away from the judge he isn't going to see your horses spectacular extension anyway.

As you start to turn at the end of the arena and trot across the end, where the judge can see the horse from the side--then put on some speed & show off your horse's fancy movement! A few judges unfortunately don't watch the horses that long, but many do.

Thanks

I think I will try the slow then speed up after turning idea. At the shows I have been at, the judges usually watch until you get a ways past turning.

And for putting Vicks in the nostrils. Should I try this a few times before going to the show so he is used to the smell. Or just wait until that day..

Deb

default_smile.png
i would only use vicks right before entering the ring. you dont want him to get used to it. its just to cover the smell of mares in heat

Back