Show mishap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG these are hilarious.

I PERSONALLY have not missed a class or been really late. I suffer from OMG I might miss my class and hence have been known to have the horse harness and hitched about 4 hours before a class LOL (not really).

Incident one:

Gentleman (since passed away) loads truck and trailer with hay, harness, tack box and carts and what not. Gets to show about 1 hour from him. Opens trailer..NO PONY!! OMG the histeronics that went on ( he was... ummm... a little "lite in the loafers") was to this day the funniest thing I ever saw!! He truly had kittens and cows and such!

Incident Two:

Working as a groom for a guy with about 12 Futurity ponies. Fly to Conneticut from Ottawa and then drive rig all the way to Springfield Illinois (OMG NEVER want to do that drive again..26 hours). Get everything set. Next day start bathing, sanding, braiding etc. Tie Roadster pony all gussied up with lite cooler in his stall( no harness thankfully). Class is late afternoon. Run back to hotel for quick shower with trainer. He has a nap, I am watching the tube. Get back to fairgrounds 2 hours later. Class went that morning!! Poor pony ..we forgot we had him tied!!

Incident Three:

Training for a guy that had 4 saddlebreds and one hackney. Get to local small fair. Raining like the dickens. Show delayed. Hmm..We've been up since before dawn..time for a drink right girls?? After numerous "hot toddy" coffees, get pony ready in harness. OMG why is that girl warming up a Saddlebred..WHY?? Because it's our class. Crap..rip poor horse off trailer, slam suit on (with the plastic from dycleaners wrapped around bowler). Make a big pass into ring just before gate closes. Wind catches plastic, horse makes one huge pass after another with me "ridin the hair off him". Plastic gets bigger and bigger till I looked like "Girl in the plastic bubble head". Horse still hears rustle rustle of plastic. His eyes are bigger than mine! Win class (he went like he was at Louisville and not a backyard show). Still have pictures somewhere of this hat and plastic that looked like an over-popped Jiffy Popcorn!!

Kim

Its about 1000 degrees out and extremely humid. We are parked about 10 miles from the arena. I have 6 on the show string and am running back and forth as the classes are moving at a fair clip. I call for a tack hold as I leave and arrive in the next class red faced and dripping with sweat. As I leave one class I get halfway to the trailer and see my 3 year old daughter standing half naked and holding her pants in one hand. She very proudly tells me "I went to the bathroom all by myself momma!" I threw the barn halter on over the show halter of the horse I was bringing back, threw my wee girls pants on, grabbed the next horse and headed back to the arena. Got there just as they started the class and closed the gate in my face! I was a little upset as I had called for a tack hold but then after I settled down, caught my breath and cooled down a little I had to laugh! Don't even ask where the dad who was SUPPOSED to be watching the daughter was though - that was another thing entirely!!!

Run back to hotel for quick shower with trainer. He has a nap,
Hey Kim you guys must be REALLY close!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ruffian!!

OMG LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

He sits on the other side of the fence LOLOLOLOLOLOL..

After I read it, though, hmmm I can see that LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Kim

[SIZE=14pt]We did that too...think we have lots of time between classes, horses are out in east egypt in the stall , they are calling last call and , as you run , no try to run with a horse that just WONT run, they close the gate while you are in the doorway! Happened with Sweet Tart at the world show this year at columbus.... Also poor Bruce two years ago. Bourbon had won the futurity championship over gelding..... came time for open we are shopping wed am... they are calling for over geldings halter.... Bruce says No way that is this afternoon..... no it wasnt. All the geldings go in the am not just the As. He wont ever do that again![/SIZE]

Kim...lol.... I have to say while I love my trainer ..... I have never showered with him!
wink.gif

Lyn

I have 2 driving gelding and one cart. Both have there own harnesses. I do an "A" pleasure driving class and then there was suppose to be 10 classes til "B" driving class. Well all those classes were canceled and I had to do the quickest hitch. I lost my tracing while driving and still placed 3rd outta 6 in the "B" class. THat's because he can "Move IT".

Another had a paint filly in a color class some how got manure all over her knees and my darling hubby spray painted her white legs with shapley's covering the manure and we got 2nd outta 10 in the class.

Another time we arrive 10 minutes before my gelding class. We get Harbor ready and he refuses to run to the ring. I drag just as the gate closes only to realize he in the wrong show halter. Got 3rd outta of 5th. He was wearing an A sized show halter. It was a little tight no wonder he did not want to trot. My darling hubby had help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are usually on time for the halter classes. I am more likely to send hubby to ring too early and get crabbed at by him (he does most of halter showing) Our first show that we were driving was another problem though. We had two horses in the under division and two in the over division. All in open pleasure and two carts. I talked to the announcer and she said no problem, since there were only three in the under class (two of them were us) and we were the only two in the over class, we would drive the under class and then she would give us time to get the horses to the barn and rehitch to the other two horses (we were alone in this--so it was a trick at best anyway) She said she would run some other classes until we got back and just tuck us in then. Well, something went wrong and she wasn't announcing when we left the ring the first time and we kept hearing our names over the loud speaker the whole while we changed our horses over. Handed the two under horses over to some people in the barn (thanks goodness for good stall neighbors) and threw the others in the cart--jump in and take off. Hubby beat me there, but wouldn't enter without me for fear they wouldn't let me in if he went in without me. The good thing is that I placed over him and got my little guy two Stakes that day :) Now we plan a little better and usually don't have more than 3 driving horses so we only have to change one over. We have that down to an art--so to speak--and can have the next horse back in the ring in about 5 min if we have to.

Oh Yes! All "big horse" shows:

First off was a dressage show we got lost, got to the show grounds about 15 minutes before I was scheduled to ride in a Dressage Equitation class and found out that our clock was 15 mins slow!
new_shocked.gif
So we had about three people tacking up my (psycho) pony who was not exactly interested in being tacked up - I had owned him for ten years and we had really bonded so he wasn't real thrilled with all these strangers all over him. To make it worse I'm a terrible control freak, especially with my saddle so when the "helpers" had left I quickly took off my saddle and put it on again to make sure it was in the right place. Amazingly we made the class and won it.

Then recently we went to an arab 'A' show and they had very few entries, so I wasn't supposed to ride until the 20th class after lunch. We get there at 10:30, thinking we'd having time to bathe and braid the dirty -gray- horse, but as we were pulling into the fairgrounds my best friend (A groom for one of my other friends) starts running after the trailer. We rolled down the window and found out they were on second call for my class
ohmy.gif
So we pulled the horse off the trailer, who was at that moment a delightful tri-color (Green, Grey, and Mud) pinto, with his beautifully pulled mane in a stylish mohawk. We missed the first class but had to continue the rest of the day in the same wonderfully turned out manner. Crazy, we didn't do badly that day either.

Then I had a 4H show that I was a half hour late for (I was in the first class) because our WB mare has wacky cycles and was ovulating a week early so we had to breed her. Thankfully our club is tiny (10 people) so they just held the "show" until I got there with my (again dirty because he rolled while we were with the vet) horse.

Not surprising, since then we've been much more careful about show timing!!! Although I'm working up a reputation for having a dirty horse
rolleyes.gif
unsure.gif

My friends however, have also missed a show. Went the wrong day.

Not late for class, but another show mishap is my friends horse has now rolled in the showring during a showmanship class three times. I think that must be a record!

A lady at our last show what late for chariote(SP) racing, and they were counting down, and I came after it started about 20 miniutes, and I think it was the first class, and when I got there there was a fire truck, and when I walked in the ambulance was driving out, and they said they were pushing her and when she got in there and they started she went to turn and flipped! So somtimes it is not allways great to try and make it if you are allready late, but I think you would be fine if you wasnt doing anything dangerous!

Gage

For some reason my friend and I are always running late. Even if we leave on time, somehow we always manage to run behind somehow, somewhere. Of course, the Maine Mini Club show this year we actually got there with a little time to spare, but I made the mistake of starting to talk. The next thing I know I hear the announcement for the first class. My horses are all tied, ungroomed and I still have my clothes on over my show clothes. Of course, I was in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th (etc etc) class and one I had 2 horses in it. I didn't know it was possible to groom so many horses so quickly!

We also had some quick changes for driving as it was back to back to back to back and I had FOUR different horses and ONE cart and harness. Fortunately I had some help from people taking pity on me and my lack of harnessing quickly ability and they were kind enough to wait for us.

Also an AMHA show we went to I tried to plan my classes so there'd be plenty of time to change and even opted out of a couple classes I would like to have tried because I didn't want to hold anyone up. Come to find out there were NO classes between a couple of my driving ones that I thought should have like 5-6 classes so I ended up holding up the show anyway. I'm just very thankful that most people are understanding about things like that and are willing to hold the gate. They even ran a few classes in between so I'd have more time to change over.

I've definitely had some close calls, but in 10 years of showing, thus far I have yet to actually miss a class. Now that I've said that I'm SURE I'll jinx myself!

Back