Show makeup

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
i have a palomino miniature horse and i was going to use black face highliter on him instead of clear, does anyone have any tips on how to blend it, as i am new and completely useless at this
default_yes.gif

Thanks

I've gone away from the black highlighter a long time ago, its way too messy. You can always try a black highlighter marker and then put clear over. I really like the Ultra Clear Highlighter.

I agree about dumping the black highlighter, i used it once and hated it--and to top it off I had a serious reaction to it and wished I had never heard of it. I use the Quic Shade highlighter now--it contains sunscreen and smells nice.

If you are determined to use black i would suggest trying it out before the show, that way you can see how it looks and know what works best for applying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think black looks stunning if done right, especially on palomino horses.

I thought I would just explain make up all together, for my explanation to make sense!

There are two things to remember - most horse make up is actually a dye, so always wear latex gloves, and always make sure where you plan to apply the make up is a smooth surface. It doesn't have to be razored, just trimmed as possible.

When applying the make up to a horse, I like to think it's the same as for us humans in some ways:

- Always build up the black. It stays better and creates a better, overall look.

- Use a matt colour first, such as black chalk to make a 'base' and eventually work your way to a shiny black product. You could just finish off with baby oil (but remember, this attracts dirt and dust).

Now, I shall try explain how I do my horses
default_smile.png

I make sure that the face is clean and the areas around the eyes and nose are trimmed shortly. I start off using black chalk above the eyelid. Just a nice, swoop across :p and next I get the corner of my chalk block and build up a line directly under the eye, like an eye liner on humans. Be careful not to go too far down the cheek.

I have a fluffy glove, which I call my 'buffer'. The secret is to really 'buff' around the top of the eyes. I buff away, add more chalk, buff, more chalk....and so on get a nice matt look. Next is the muzzle...

I basically do swoops around the nose and mouth, using my 'buffer' in circular motions. Once again, I build up the matt look.

Next is the shiny highlighter. With a soft, micro fibre cloth, I put a small amount of highlighter above the eye and blend out. For the muzzle, put the highlighter on the upper lip (on the side) and on the upper, outside part of the nostril and blend in.

Make up is really easy. Have a few goes at it prior to show day.

As with human makeup, less is more. One should see the desired results (accenting the eye, etc.) rather than the makeup itself.

At one show, we were leaving the arena as the next class was lined up at the gate. Looking down, I saw a tiny horse absolutely slathered with slimy, black goo. I thought, who in the world would think this is attractive? Then I looked up. The handler reminded me of Mimi in the Drew Carey Show.

I see so many show horses who look like they dipped their muzzles in high gloss black paint, and whose shaved "eyebrows" make them look like Groucho Marx.

Look at well-presented horses such as Erica's. They are done with taste and in a manner that accents their natural beauty.

I hate the black make up...way too messy and you end up with it on your hands and clothes! But, you can use a Sharpie pen and black out your horses upper eyes and muzzle, then use baby oil (I use the gel not liquid) over it....which make it shine!

Oh one more hint...I always wear disposable gloves (latex type) to put any make up on..keeps your hands from getting greasy before going in the ring!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the tips, when i first got my mini i thought i would just get the clear makeup to be safe, but when i put it on him it looks like he has nothing on. I don't want to razor him so i thought i would clip him with a 50 and put black on him. If i use a plack sharpie, will it irritate his skin? and how do i clip him around those areas for that, just with a 50?

thanks again
default_smile.png

I wouldnt want to use a black marker pen. I would be scared it would react, especially with all the chemicals.

If your using just a 50, clip JUST above his eyes and blend out by clipping with the hair (as opposed to against).

Same goes with the nose. Just blend out by clipping with the hair.

Also, as you blend out, slightly move your hand off the horse.

I've used a soft eyeliner pencil made for humans around the eyes and to cover little scratches and blemishes in the coat. I also used water soluble colored pencils. While I use Sharpies on their hooves, I wouldn't use it on the skin or near the eyes. If I wouldn't use it on myself (talking product, nor color), I won't use it on my horse.

I've used a soft eyeliner pencil made for humans around the eyes and to cover little scratches and blemishes in the coat. I also used water soluble colored pencils. While I use Sharpies on their hooves, I wouldn't use it on the skin or near the eyes. If I wouldn't use it on myself (talking product, nor color), I won't use it on my horse.
I never thought about using a human eye liner!

I have read about people using black permanent markers around their horse's eyes. I would never do this.

Also, I forgot to add the point on my 'explanation', to not overdo the black to the point of 'goopey face', as you said :p

I agree with what LindaL said. I razor the muzzle and above the eyes first, then I put baby oil (a fair amount) on the razored areas, as well as a little all over the face. Use a good amount of baby oil GEL on the muzzle/eyes right before you enter the ring. It soaks in a little and they tend to wipe some off on you LOL! I love the way it looks, gives that pop and brings out a pretty head if you have one already!

Hypo-allergenic water-proof black mascara. You might already have a tube getting out dated, time to move it to the tack shed. I haven't shown in years, but black mascara usually does the trick (only ever used it as a touch up, and on the occasional too much white around the eyes, to help with sun glare, although this wouldn't be for showing). [Or the black stuff football players use under their eyes.]

Avon has a Skin So Soft gel that works great. Added benefit is it keeps flys away from muzzle and eyes.

thanks everyone for the tips! i am going to a show in a fortnight or so, so i will try some of them out
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back