Show Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
What halter do you use in performance/Showmanship?Can you be docked pts for usuns a barn halter,even if its clean,and fits well?What does California Style mean?What do you use in Showmanship?Can you use the same Halter for Halter in Showmanship?
default_smile.png

Can WCMHR minis be shown at most shows,or do they have to be for WCMHR?

Last edited by a moderator:
For showmanship classes, I like to use a western style halter, but one with thin / delicate looking straps vs. the bulky looking halters many use. I think the leather on my western show halters is abot 1/2" wide. They are strong, but do not look bulky on a little mini head.

For jumping classes and for Liberty (where you take off the halter and then put it back on at the end), I think a nice, clean nylon halter is fine. Some of them have overlays that make them a little fancier and that is nice. For Liberty, you want to be sure the halter is easy to put on and isn't too stiff or bulky at the end making it hard to fit the strap through the buckle because the horse may decide it didn't really want to be caught after all.

For halter classes, I love my victor halters, which have closed rings and a very classic / won't go out of style look. I also have a closed ring Billy Royal brand and a couple BKM type halters with flared nose bands that suit just about any horse.

As to WCMHR papers, the only shows you can do with WCMHR only horses are WCHMHR show(s) and local open shows where usually many breeds are shown against each other. For example, I have shown my minis at open shows against quarter horses (and often won).

In order to show at the breed shows, you need AMHR papers (for AMHR shows) and AMHA papers (for AMHA shows).

For showmanship, I use a plain leather halter - no silver - but high quality leather and buckles, and fairly narrow. I use this same halter for hunter, jumper and halter obstacle.

princess_portrait_2.jpg

I have Victor style halters of other brands that I use for halter. See below.

princess_n_cowboy_heads_1.jpg

Both photos by Ellen Leffingwell, Photography to Remember.

For liberty, I just purchased a nylon halter with a throatlatch snap!!! I get so nervous that I have a hard time buckling a regular halter.

For my halter and showmanship classes I use the same Arab Halter and Lead. No changes for me. But I have a really nice nylon halter with matching lead that I used for hunter/ jumping, obstacle and liberty this year.

My Arab halter that I have is beaded and I use it at every show. I always have done really well with it too.

For showmanship, I use a plain leather halter - no silver - but high quality leather and buckles, and fairly narrow. I use this same halter for hunter, jumper and halter obstacle.

princess_portrait_2.jpg

For liberty, I just purchased a nylon halter with a throatlatch snap!!! I get so nervous that I have a hard time buckling a regular halter.

I really like your Victor Halter.
default_smile.png

princess_portrait_2.jpg

I really like your Victor Halter.
default_smile.png
The one on her mare isnt her Victor
default_yes.gif
: Though victors are similar only Clkosed ring and silver. It just slipped my mind where hers is from but thats the oen Im ordering most likely or a victor :lol: I use my nice Show araby halter for showmanship as well and western for Jumping exc.

Does anyone have pictures of the victors in gold like Targetsmom?

Sorry for the confusion - I was tired when I posted this last night. The halter in front is not a Victor, it's from Star Lake Tack; I can't remember if it is the Shiloh or Shepard, but it's the one with the tapered noseband. It comes in several other colors.

for liberty we use the nylon halters that open under the throat and latch back on. no buckles! they are sometimes hard to find in mini size but double diamond usually has them

Here are some Victors in gold like on Targetsmom's horse:

DESTINY%20--%202006%20Lexington%20KY%20Show%20--%20039.jpg

goldie-show-1.jpg

Just a note about the nylon halters that snap under the throat. I have some of those as well and they are great on most horses, but I do have some who hate for me to pull a halter over their ears -- which is what you do with these kind. Just be sure your liberty horse isn't going to shy back a little when you slip that over his/her ears because whatever reaction they have at home will be magnified 10 fold in the ring after the music has stopped!

Where can Victors halters be purchased? Any websites?

Thank you

Timmery

In a pinch for local open shows I have even used a calf halter from the co-op. Its thin black leather with the shape of a show halter (crown and nose piece) with a buckel over the crown to adjust. Closed rings and atching lead with chain. Very plain, very inexpensive. Easy to have altered to have the nose band fit (I didn't get the chance and showed with a slightly too large halter) Also easy to add spiffyness with some "bling" (buttons, jewels, conchos etc) at home. I sure wouldn't use one at a big show, but for practice and local shows, I kinda like the simple look of them. (and they are very sturdy, built for baby cows with no manners LOL) I find its easy to find a nice one with baby soft leather for cheap here. I would use that for halter, showmanship, or liberty but not for jumping or obstacle.

Last year, I ordered 6 new Victor halters for my own horses and several more for friends' horses directly from Victor himself. Take a look at his website -- http://www.victorcustomtack.com/ -- and give him a call to see if he has time to make any more miniature horse show halters. The styles you may choose from are shown as 9D and 9H on his website. I got mine for less than anyone is selling knock offs for and WAY less than people were selling used Victors for... He's such a nice man. Victor does have a thick accent so just listen close to understand what he is telling you. Also, if you don't mind, let him know Jill O'Roark told you to call
default_yes.gif
:

PS If you're wanting to get one, it's important to order it before Arabian show horse season gets going as he is very busy once that starts...

I use a thin Western style halter for all my performance classes (except driving of course). I think the bulky ones look bad on miniatures, not to mention a lot of them I see look cheap. I bought mine from Showtime Tack , and I LOVE it. Mine was $175, but it was well worth it. And they are also great to deal with too.

Here is my halter:

newhalter026.jpg

newhalter028.jpg

10-12.jpg

Breanne,

Is your halter made out of beta biothane? If so, that is almost exactly like one of my performance halters only mine has different bars / buckle trim on it (similar but different). Mine was $200 a few years ago from Mini Express but had to be sent back a couple of times as the bars came off at one end. It is fine now after they fixed it good.

I have two others from Ozark that were only $80 or so, and I like them just as well, maybe even a little more, than the more expensive beta biothane fancy performance halter. The bars are prettier on the more expensive beta biothane halter, but I think the less expensive leather one looks more delicate (yet is still plenty strong). Just for anyone wanting a nice performance halter but not wanting to spend that much money. I am proud to use both these types.

Additionally, I think that Primetime sells undecorated black and brown beta biothane halters and leads that may make nice for showmanship and performance. I haven't seen them in person, but from the pictures they do look nice and I'm thinking they run around $30.

A nice thing about beta biothane is how easy it is to keep clean and it will not ever rot or break down.

Jill

Breanne,

Is your halter made out of beta biothane? If so, that is almost exactly like one of my performance halters only mine has different bars / buckle trim on it (similar but different). Mine was $200 a few years ago from Mini Express but had to be sent back a couple of times as the bars came off at one end. It is fine now after they fixed it good.

I have two others from Ozark that were only $80 or so, and I like them just as well, maybe even a little more, than the more expensive beta biothane fancy performance halter. The bars are prettier on the more expensive beta biothane halter, but I think the less expensive leather one looks more delicate (yet is still plenty strong). Just for anyone wanting a nice performance halter but not wanting to spend that much money. I am proud to use both these types.

Additionally, I think that Primetime sells undecorated black and brown beta biothane halters and leads that may make nice for showmanship and performance. I haven't seen them in person, but from the pictures they do look nice and I'm thinking they run around $30.

A nice thing about beta biothane is how easy it is to keep clean and it will not ever rot or break down.

Jill
I am not sure if it is or not. I mean it looks and smells ( :lol: ) like leather, but it feels a bit different from the leather things I have. I have never felt or seen biothane in person, so I am not sure.. I have used mine probably around 5-10 times, and its held up fine. When you said your bars started coming off I quickly went and checked mine, and they seem to be pretty darn stuck to the leather (or whatever it is, lol). I bought mine at World, and after looking at some others there (and after looking online), I really liked the one from Showtime best.
default_smile.png

Jill I've seen that picture before. I was so taken with your "boy" I didn't even look at the halter.

Do you have pictures of the victor with the solid gold center?

Latest posts

Back