Show Halter Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^T-bird89^

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on buying a cable show halter for my horse...(Particularly a grulla pinto with a very dark, almost black face). I don't know whether I want a beaded halter or plain one, a barred noseband, patent noseband, beaded nose band, or plain, colors or just gold/silver, etc. I just wanted some opinions on what the best ones are. Which have you had the best luck with and what are your favorites? I would love to hear. Thanks!

beaded halters have kinda fallen out of favor. i would go with black and silver on a dark headed horse. If your horses head is a little big go with a thicker halter. If he has small refined head go with a really thin halter to show the head off

I have a blue roan pinto stallion whose head is very dark and his new show halter is black with a silver engraved bar across his nose and it looks awesome! jennifer :saludando:

Yes beaded halters were hot somewhat, now not. I think people found that the beaded halters just made the halter look to bulky. I actually sold all my beaded show halters.

I think IMO what will be coming back is the plain halters. If your horses head is nice and small I would go with just a plain halter with a black noseband with silver trim. Or if its a little bulky and needs a little bit of help, get a filliage halter.

I think on most horses, a patent nose that is wider in the center and closed rings (like a Victor halter) looks the best. My second choice would the the "shepherd" style BKM which has a flared patent nose, turns and ferules on the side. This past year, I was able to get 6 new Victors, a closed ring Billy Royal and a couple of the flared BKM's. The reason for the BKM's in addition to the Victors is that I think some of my horses look good with conchos on the sides, and some need ferules on the sides. This set of halters will look good on really any horse's head and will not go out of style. The beaded halters are not current style.

PS I was able to get the new Victors (from Victor himself) for $95 and $110 (depending on the style) not including conchos and accessories -- so these are very affordable and cost far less NEW than people were getting for their USED Victors.

I think on a dark horse that a silver nose band looks especially pretty. Black or maroon patent leather looks nice too. We aren't using beaded or cable anymore (who knows they may come back in!) There are so many pretty, pretty halters to choose from. Good luck!

Jill, can you give us some information about ordering the Victor from Victor? ;)

Yes! Just visit his website to see his contact information.

I had inquired in the spring of 2005 if he could make some mini halters for me, and at that time, he wasn't making them and didn't have time to do anything custom. However, he called me in te fall of 2005 to let me know he could do some at that time, so me and some of my friends got an order together! Then since that time, I ordered a couple more (tack junky that I am!).

I called Victor and faxed with him to do the halters I purchased. The kind he makes in mini sizes are shown as 9D and 9H on his website. They are so well made and will last decades if well cared for!

Victor Custom Tack

Nice Burgahndy Noseband with Conchos Would be Beautiful. Try Victore Show Halter Expensive but Stunning.

Just for the record, I cannot stand the Victory (not, NOT Victor) halters. Those closed ring things on the side look so bulky on the ones I've seen in person, and they cost more than what they are trying to approximate (the real Victor halters)

Jill mentioned Schneider's Saddlery...

I have yet to buy one, but judging from the photos, they are beautiful and elegant, as well as reasonably priced.

I so agree that the simple, classic show halters are much more flattering than the beaded ones.

Yes, the SStack ones are beautiful. I bought one because a "large" Victor wasn't big enough to fit Bacardi (my B show gelding) comfortably. However, this summer, I got Victor to make me a gold/black one of his with a little extra length around the sides and that fits awesome. And the Victor costs about $50 less than the SStack / Billy Royal one. The workmanship, I feel, is much nicer on the Victors but I do think the SStack / Billy Royal one is pretty as well and will come in handy down the road.

Word of note is the Billy Royal SStack ones run BIG. It seems like a large in their halter is an XL in other brands. Then the Victors seem to run small, so a large is more of a medium (as compared to say BKM sizing).

The Victory Series does have Closed Ring.. The Victor does though lol Jill you've got my confused.

Latest posts

Back