Show Clipping Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Hollow Farm

Reaction score
Okay so there are a lot of different ways people have told me to clip and of course I have my own way as well....I use a 40 blade on the muzzle and 15 blade on the body. I was just wondering if any of you would want to share your methods to get a natural looking clip. Also do you have to clip every single week if you have a show multiple weekends in a row? I will appreciate all tips for this. And if you want to add what other products you use for show shine or anything else feel free! Thanks a bunch!
default_smile.png

I generally use a #15 for just about everyone, i think the #10 leaves behind to much unless its a clip like the day before the classes or something of that sort but generally i use a 15 for body, and a 10 on the legs, then i go over the face w/ a 15 then go back in and detail with my little whal arco's which have an adjustable blade from a 10-50 and detail the face as i want, just the going over the head w/ a 15 the first time around really helps before going in to detail.

I go over the muzzle and above the eyes with a 40 or 50 before i razor them as that really seems to help make the razoring process easier.

Tip - if you have one that is REALLY bad with clipping do not be afraid to call the vet and get a sedative (i like dormasedan)...when its 100+ degrees out and one is totally out of control when it comes to clipping, not worth you getting hurt. For 250# dose of dormasedan is only $15 for one shot. The stuff is heaven sent
default_wub.png
. I do not mind clipping / facials at all...really i dont, but i will not fight with a horse like that when it is 100+ degrees. Some are just naughty when it comes to clipping.

As soon as i can get my hands on some flax seed im planning to start mine on that. Pepi is good stuff, but really oily so go easy on it.

My minis are clipped before every show. My shetland filly i clipped in like May...she did not need another clip anymore..she did not get in any pig hairs or anything, stayed slick and nice, only makes my work easier
default_wub.png

I don't show in halter and don't razor for driving classes. I use a 10 on the body and a 30 on the face.

For me it depends on color. For pintos with a lot of white i clip the body in a 10 2-3 days before a show. For dark legs i clip in 15. Non white body i also clip in 15

Then i go in the face and ise a combo of 10,15,30 and 40 with a lot of blending

I've always used a 30 on the body, and I have mostly all pintos, it depends on the color of the horse as to how many days in advance you do it. That is entirely dependent on the individual horse as to when their color seems to peak, anywhere from the day before to a week before the show. The ones done earlier need to be "tweaked" in the bridle path and fetlocks before the show. The head is a combo of a 15, 30, 40, 50 and razor. I actually body clipped one with a 40 before the world and he's 95% white! But 4 days later when he showed he looked really nice, time of year makes a big difference on how fast it grows back in, and I'm up here in the north country, so it grows FAST at the end of September! And a well conditioned coat doesn't need a lot of oil to look good, just some highlights on nose, and above the eye. I use Pyranha fly spray on the body, it's oil based so shines, but also prevents any unwanted critters from disrupting your halter class

We usually body clip with a 15 or 30. Mostly using a 30. If their hair coats are in good shape and not too dry, seems like the color comes back in pretty quickley if you wrap them up real good with blankets and hood. We almost always use a 30 on the legs, underbelly, any place that isn't covered by a blanket or hood. We clip their heads with a 30 and then blend with a 40 and 50. I like to clip the ears nice and tight with a 40 on the outter ear. I think the tighter you can clip the legs without distorting the color the better, makes them look even more refined. But like you said everyone has their own plan. Whatever works best for you. But..........we do bathe and then clip them slightly damp. Seems to make the clip job look more finished and keeps the dirt and dust out of you clippers. And make sure your clippers are in great working order, this makes a huge difference on how they clip. Good Luck!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back