Should Shelly Sterling be banned from ownership of the Clippers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ditto NO. I heard this morning... and I may have gotten this wrong, but I think they said if the vote is to ban one partner from ownership then ALL the partners lose the team. ?? I don't even like what they did all all. Where did freedom of speech go?

It would seem she should not be banned from ownership.

However--it seems this particular rule is there, owners agree to abide by those rules, and therefore the ownership must change completely if the vote goes against her husband.

Wait a second... does that mean that I am responsible for my husband's decisions? Trust me, he makes plenty without talking to me! I don't think she should be responsible for what he said and definitely shouldn't be banned. What a joke.

But like Debby said, I read that/heard that as every owner will be terminated if they kick him? I don't understand that. Ugh, professional sports...

Ban him, ban her for putting up with him for so long, and ban every player that ever used the n-word. Oh wait, the NBA is gone but frankly Scarlet, it is just as well.

In the beginning I was behind her effort to keep the team. But after watching her on the evening news tonight, she wouldn't answer any of the questions outright. She has been accused of being racist as well and she wouldn't admit that her hubby said anything wrong, but said she should be able to keep her interest in the team. I hate to say it, but it would be better for the team overall to have new ownership.

Ban him, ban her for putting up with him for so long, and ban every player that ever used the n-word. Oh wait, the NBA is gone but frankly Scarlet, it is just as well.
I read recently that THE Michael Jordon admitted that he hated all white people when he was young. Tit for tat, take his records away from him, don't let him own a team,of course that won't happen because he's Michael Jordon and the NBA is mostly colored.

I won't hold it against Michael Jordan. It is the media that runs wild with intolerance and people just fan the flames. Then people just jump on board to convince everyone else they have an axe to grind. I can only hope Michael Jordon was in his own way saying he is not like he used to be. What scares me is people being held accountable for what they say in their own homes. Even godless Bill Maher agrees. And thanks Deb for rigging the forum up this way. It will surely make the NSA folks have to go to more trouble to listen. I say this as I wave to the new microwave and dishwasher. Meanwhile, the reverend Al rants on. Snort!

Definitely NOT! I don't agree with the way anything has been handled and yes the media fans all flames, just look at what they are doing with the gay NFL draftee (can't remember his name). It is a well known fact that Donald Sterling was a racist, he had numerous lawsuits filed against him in the past for housing discrimination, but no one cares about that. He is a bigot and I don't like him but he has a right to say what his nasty mouth can produce while in the privacy of his home. Just imagine if we all were taped unknowingly in our home and it was used against us?

Being taped unknowingly and having it used against us IS happening and the bad part is it's starting to be accepted as the norm. I don't like all the cell phones with cameras and video which allows all to be shared. The extreme people go to to record and share every little thing they do is sickening. I've watched my grand kids snap chatting and it looks cute on those little screens......the ones who do it and send elsewhere for the public to see...well I wish they could see how they look on a 27" monitor LOL.

I guess I'm older and set in my ways but I just don't like it. About 2 weeks ago there was some woman in Wal Mart with her little iPhone obviously snapping and laughing with someone about peoples flip flops...I told her if you point that dam thing at me or one of my grand kids you'll be mighty uncomfortable driving home.

To think that we now can't have a private conversation without it being blown up by the media is scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw Sterling on the News at lunch with his take on Magic Johnson
default_whistling.gif
he's making his own bed.

I think Mr. Sterling is a jerk and always has been, whatever happens to him he brings on himself. What gets me is this, they both own 50% of the team, right? The NBA says according to its rules that he has the controling interest, that means to me, that as usual in this country that what you see as a woman is not what you get. NO I don't think she should lose her half, but acording to the NBA she doesn't really own half so the whole team has to go. period. Shame you have to now pay attention to what you say in the privacy of your own home, as someone you trust could be recording you.

I heard Mark Levin talking out the 2.5 million dollar fine today. According to him (and he is a pretty smart cookie) that is 1.5 million more than the actual rules/articles/contract for the owner when it is correctly legally dissected.

Debby, I am so glad you did not have to take it any further with the woman with the phone. Then there would be the youtube video of you taking matters into your own hands. I have an acquaintance that got her gut fill of an obnoxious gal in the restroom of a college football game. It ended up in a cat fight that was posted on youtube because another person filmed it with her phone.

yeah her mouth was running the whole time she was walking off and I was thinking oh crap now she's going after the manager and probably taped the whole thing LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression he knew he was being recorded even if he was in his house. Will have to look more into that. I know a lot of people keep saying it's in violation of freedom of speech, and it's not. It's not any government agency that is reprimanding him-it's his "boss". I am a representative of every Holiday in the world as a holiday inn employee. Even if I was off the clock and said something in private that was in violation of what the Holiday Inn stands for, they have every right to reprimand me because I reflect on them. If I owned a McDonalds, I'd have to abide by the franchise's rules and i'm sure they have strict contracts on what can and can't be done or said. I don't see why Mr. Sterling should be treated any differently.

His wife should not be held accountable for his actions, however-she should be held to her own.

That should be Holiday *Inn*...brain is too fast for my fingers
default_smile.png

So--as I understand it--the wife must have signed the "ownership contract" (for want of a better term for the contract at the moment)
default_smile.png

So those of you saying that she should not be forced to give up her ownership--you are saying that it is perfectly acceptable for someone to sign an agreement or contract, then when things don't work out properly that someone just says oh, that rule doesn't apply for me. Signing an agreement that stipulates the conditions of ownership--and stipulates what things can cause that ownership to be terminated--means nothing? The signed agreement should not be binding??

So--as I understand it--the wife must have signed the "ownership contract" (for want of a better term for the contract at the moment)
default_smile.png

So those of you saying that she should not be forced to give up her ownership--you are saying that it is perfectly acceptable for someone to sign an agreement or contract, then when things don't work out properly that someone just says oh, that rule doesn't apply for me. Signing an agreement that stipulates the conditions of ownership--and stipulates what things can cause that ownership to be terminated--means nothing? The signed agreement should not be binding??
That depends on exactly what the contract said, which I don't know. I also had to sign a contract as a government employee, that was so vague, saying the "f" word in the privacy of my own home could possibly get me in trouble. Just about all of us who work have or do sign similar agreements. The fact of the matter is, he didn't break any law with his bigotry and hateful words, yes he is a but head, but no law was broken. How vague is the contract? And from what I understand, he didn't know he was being taped. Often if you are unaware of been taped it can't be used against you in a court of law.

His girlfriend is a real piece of work, she taped him and then released it to be heard. She probably instigated the whole thing to get in the news, and people like that don't care who gets hurt. He must have cut her allowance or something. As far as the" N" word, how many of those players can say they haven't used that word in anger or jest when talking to their "brothers"? It's gotten to the point where we had better say nothing at all or be afraid of being politically incorrect. No matter what you say or how you say it, someone is going to be offended, not defending this jerk but he never thought what he said in anger would be all over the news. Shame on her and him for causing controversy in an important time for that team during the playoffs. That is their livelihood not matter if we like basketball or not. As for the wife, he cheated on her and she appeared to be standing by her man. They could make a realty show about this three-some.

Latest posts

Back