Should he be roaning?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyborFarm

Reaction score
My silver bay gelding is roaning out. I body clipped him the middle of May and he was very light roan and grew in darker. But he has held the roan since I clipped him and doesnt seem to be getting rid of it. The same goes for those dapples of his. Im not sure where they came from as they normally grow out by now. Do most silver bays or bays in general have black "blazes"? I havent seen that before. He's an interesting sade of bay though, kind of smutty like.

His sire is Grosshills Geronimo; a bay and white pinto with a white mane/tail, four white legs, and a white blaze. Im going to assume he may be a silver, because of his white mane/tail, but I have no pictures of him. I have never seen him either (not sure if he's still alive even).

His dam is Half Moon's Nayomi; a palomino. I dont have any pictures of her either. I had seen her a while ago, but I dont remember much about her.

Well without further ado, here is Morning Mist's Navajo. 12 year old 36" silver bay tobiano.
default_wub.png
: I wish he was taller then I could show him as a pony. So much more like a pony then a mini. Oh, pardon our over stretching, Im teaching him "square up" and "strike a pose" which would be our lovely stretching. He loves to stretch rathe then stand square. He's a goof.

Right Side

joeyright.jpg

Left Side

joeyleft.jpg

Right Side Roaning On Neck

joeyfaceright.jpg

Left Side Roaning On Neck

joeyfaceleft.jpg

The Roaning Along His Back And Bum

joeybuttroaning.jpg

Joey says "Here's lookin at ya good lookin!"

hereslookingatya.jpg

thank you

~megan

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looks like sabino roaning from his pinto-ness.

Andrea

I agree. My sabino mare is getting more and more white hairs every year. Looks exactly the same as that.

Beautiful boy. Are you sure he's silver bay? Just curious, as his mane, tail and legs are really black for silver bay. Since he is a pinto, the white in his mane and tail could come from pinto genetics. I agree the roaning looks like sabino at work. To me he looks like either a sandy bay or a smutty or sooty buckskin.

Beautiful boy. Are you sure he's silver bay? Just curious, as his mane, tail and legs are really black for silver bay. Since he is a pinto, the white in his mane and tail could come from pinto genetics. I agree the roaning looks like sabino at work. To me he looks like either a sandy bay or a smutty or sooty buckskin.
I agree.
default_yes.gif
: It's possible that he is not a Silver Bay at all. The lighter hairs in his mane & tail could just be the result of the Sabino roaning.
default_wink.png
:

This is interesting! Where could the sabino be comming from? Would sabino be a possiable reason that he is lighter in color on his underside and flanks? As for a sooty buckskin that may be the reason for his dark topline.

I think I just might have this guy color tested so I know what he is. he was origionally registered as a chestnut. But in 2004 I took him to a rated show and they said he was a silver bay. I think he just likes changing colors on me.

Thank you for the input!

~Megan

Sabino is fairly common, it is one of the white pattern genes responsible for white facial and leg markings (good example are highly colored AQHA horses, I had an AQHA mare that had lots of sabino roaning plus facial and leg white; her son and daughter are marked similar). Your horse's pinto sire could have had the sabino gene along with other pinto genes.

My bay stallion was registered as a red roan from two bucksking parents; he was very red as a foal with little black on him, by the time I brought him home from the breeders as a yearling he was looking pretty bay. Since, he came from two buckskins, I had him color tested (no silver test at the time, but I doubt he has silver): He's heterozygous for black (Ee) and homozygout for agouti (AA) and no cream.

I am going to say he's silver bay based on the fact that his forelock is almost all silver, not very dark... and not pure white like a white marking would be.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back