Should a Show horse be a Pet or not a pet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ditto Susanne........ There is a difference between having a show horse that's a pet and one that is spoiled rotten, IMO. (Not that I don't spoil them "a bit"
default_rolleyes.gif
: )...........But a show horse from our place hopefully is used to getting treats and lots of hugs and scritches, PLUS has manners and respects us!

And when we have sent a horse out to trainer, when we get our horse back he or she better have the same loving personality or something is WRONG. I HATE seeing horses in the showring with those panicky bug eyes, standing on their toes because they are ready to jump out of their skin! Drives me crazy........

MA

You know this is interesting to me, I purchased a colt that was represented to me well, but when I had asked about if he was tame and would come to me, I was told that he was "not a dead-head" and that they did not want to spoil him because they felt he would do well in the showring.

Well there was nothing wrong with him other than he was not easy to catch, but not mean at all, and just what I would call high strung. I did end up re-selling him to someone who wanted to show him, since I wasn't going too, and I prefer the in-your-pocket type, not necessarily so spoile dyou can't get them away but ones I don't have to corner to catch, that come up for attention.

SO I learned a lesson on what it means to not be a dead head and I guess I prefer the dead heads!LOL
default_wink.png
:

Mine is both! I spoil him Play with him let him out with his freinds on the grass and he still comes home with grand Champion gelding and if he doesnt that day then oh well because as long as he behaved when we get home there'll be some more Loving time. My Boiy is my pet and he also Shows and does pretty well. I LOVE him
default_wub.png
:

I think the one trainer was confusing "wide eyed and tense" with the head's up "look at me" show-off attitude that seems to be a hallmark or a great show horse. What you want is a well behaved horse that loves to "turn it on" when he hits the ring.. not one thats fearful and tense.

Spazkat you are so dead on on this. A "look at me" presence is what you want not the wide eyed about to blow a gasket. Manners however no matter what are SO important [pets and/or show horses]. If Fred let me know he never wanted to show again he would never have to. A horse has to enjoy their job or they won't be good at it. My guys are backyard pets but they are great show horses also. Linda B

Yup, I've been told that too. That if you want to show them, don't handle them a lot. Well, I am planning to show at least one of my fillies in 2007 and if they don't like it, they will come home. As far as not handling them, it's too late for that. All of my horses are pocket pets. They are spoiled rotten but do respect me and know what is not acceptable behavior.

I have never shown minis and it will be a learning experience for both me and the horse but if I had to not love on them, I wouldn't have them.

I also hate to see a horse in the showring or out of it that is wide eyed and terrified. There is a big difference in the "look at me" attitude and the "HELP get me out of here!" look.

Mary

[SIZE=12pt]Kscowgirl, I know what you mean I had a breeder tell me that same thing "he is not a dead head" and this horse was not mean but I could see he needed more positive handling. I think the breeder was trying to handle him more and calm him down before I got him and caused him to have a fearful outlook on people. I would rather have a horse that has never been handled than one that has been mishandled.[/SIZE]

Linda and Spazcat you are right that they have to have the attitude. He seems to have the look at me attitude when you get him caught, but not as well as my filly does, she is just more relaxed with people and loves to work with you and give you what you want from her.

Mary I understand what you mean I one time took a gelding to an open show in our area. I thought with his confirmations and great disposition he would make a great show horse. I was wrong he was so afraid he actually was shaking the whole time. He did get first and third, but I never took him again, it was not worth his discomfort for me to get ribbons. But he found his perfect job and that is going to schools, family gatherings and entertaining kids. And he loves to drive. He just loves all the attention kids give him!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Back