Shop Vac Users

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Much to my suprise :DOH!
default_laugh.png
it was easy to get the horses to accept this loud dirt suckin' monster hose, well at least 2 of them so far. But I've decided I need to change something?

While vacin' them off, a time or 2 when I was holding the halter we got a little shock( like static) then when I was doing my big guy and touched him with both hands we got a static type shock. I quickly decided this is a bad thing (esp. for thier first time). The area was dry and the shop vac is a huge 18gal.6.25HP and in good working order.

I just thought about maybe rubbing them down with a dryer sheet,lol. But maybe a smaller less powerful vac may solve or help? Any ideas?

I can't have them getting little shocks while they are standing like perfect gentleman, and I don't care for it much myself.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I use the vacuum all the time and have never had any kind of shock.

I am the type of person that will get a shock if there is any possible way for it to happen.

It would be a bad thing for the horses to get a shock doing this.

Sort of defeats the purpose, because they surely wouldn't like that.

Hmmmm... maybe since it's not specifically for horses there is an issue? Poor guys... maybe the dryer sheets will help, sounds like a good idea.

I personally use the "blow" feature, not "suck." I just blow the dirt and dander out of the skin, works just fine. Also blows water off of them after a bath for quicker drying.

Good luck,

Andrea

I have also dealt with the static issue when using a vacuum on the horses. Depends on the weather of course but you could almost see the sparks fly. Horses are not appreciative of the snapping sound the static makes either. If you come up with a solution please let me know.

That used to be a problem with static here while using the shop vac in the barn...a friend told me the best thing for that is to have the horses stand on rubber matts while your wearing running shoes. Works good for me no more sparks. l even wear runners in the house now when l vac in the winter and it's a lot better...no more sparks flying and zapping the crap outta ya..
default_biggrin.png

l also for winter will soak the brushes l use in a bowl of fleezy and let them dry good and that helps a lot because the air is pretty dry and static builds up on there coats..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Relic is on the right track; low humidity and other weather factors are probably the greatest cause of a problem w/ static electricity. That said, the tips about rubber mats and wearing shoes w/ good 'heavy' rubber sole, would likely be helpful, also.

Since the humidity is low here pretty much ALL the time, one thing I've found helpful is to make sure that either my other hand is TOUCHING the horse when I start the vacumn, and the whole time I am using it on the horse, or, be sure NOT to touch the horse w/ my other hand the whole time I am using the vac on the horse. The other thing would be as mentioned; use the shopvac as a BLOWER, not a 'sucker'. IMO, it almost ALWAYS works better to 'blow' than to 'suck', anyway...among several benefits is not having to empty the 'tank' of dirt and hair!! The only time 'vacumning' might 'work' better is when the horse's hair coat is really short, as when clipped or true, slicked-off, summer coat.

Margo

Thanks for the replies!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this problem, I was thinking my shop vac might be messed up.

I was on rubber mats and had either tennis shoes or crocs on.

I'm going to have to experiment and see if I can get the hose to attach to the blower part. It is also a leaf blower but the attachment for that is tooo much for me to handle on the horses and I believe they'd be more afraid of a big plastic blower.

I looked at a smaller shop vac today but the hose was soo short I didn't get it.

Maybe I'll try it again and keep both hands on him or off - this may take a little work to perfect.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the help, I love being able to come to this forum with questions :D

Relic - Is Fleezy like a fabric softner??

Latest posts

Back