Shipping Pregnant Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Marker Minis

Reaction score
We may be moving from Tucson to SW Missouri in January. If we don't move in January we would (probably) have to wait until August next year after our last mare has foaled.

Our first mare due to foal in 2014 is a maiden mare. Her due date, based on 330 days, is 03/03/14. I use a spreadsheet and calculate based on last day covered. Then add columns to either side, with plus or minus 12 days. So, she could foal early at 318 days on February 16th...

What is the latest you have shipped a pregnant mare? I've heard not to ship within 30 days of foaling. According to Toni, this is to allow the mare to build up antibodies in her environment. However, for those of you who allow your mares to foal in pasture with other mares, how does this work?

It's been suggested that we ship this mare earlier, like in December. However, I think shipping this mare by herself to a strange environment where she knows no other horse or human may be just as stressful.

What has been your all's experience in this?

Thank you,

Kari and Toni

Last edited by a moderator:
We once shipped a mare 45 days before she foaled. She went from TX to NC with no problems. She was not a maiden but she hadn't been handled much either. She had no issues with foaling due to travel or change of environment, feed, new horses/people.

A lot of it has to do with stress to the mare and how the transporter handles the trip. Some mares will be fine no matter what. Probably the best time for shipping is in the second trimester....at least that's been our thought from personal experience.

I don't really have an answer to your question, but wanted to say Welcome to Missouri! I'm in south central Missouri. There are getting to be quite a few of us mini folks in this part of the state. Where exactly are you moving to?

Still looking for a farm. Somewhere in the southwest or south central area. We want to be within an hour of Springfield... But not west, north or northwest of there... Too close to 'tornado alley!'

We lived in Bruner which we loved... It was a wide spot in the road but about 30 minutes from Springfield. Sparta, then Ozark were west down Highway 14 so close enough to 'civilization' but far enough away to not be bothered by too many 'humans.' snort! We were about 30 minutes or so west of Ava.

Kari

We're about 2 hours southeast of Springfield. Or about an hour south of Ava. So wherever you decide to settle, we won't be too far apart to visit!
default_thumbup.gif

We shipped our mare Missy in the middle of march of this year from VA to SC and she did just fine and had a healthy filly April 5th with no problems. I've also had this mare for 5 years now and she knows the people handling her. I believe its a case by case basis

Cool! Playtime Minis is moving to south central MO as well. There are several breeders in the area... I know Lisa Davis (LTD Miniatures) very well. I also know Avalon Farms as I bought a beautiful filly from Jeanette...

We'll have to have a "play day" some time...

Kari

Last trimester is cutting it pretty close. If it were my horse I would not do it.

You also have to consider the climate difference as well. Moving in January to a cold climate is not at all a good idea.

We may have to start our own club! I have a friend in Forsyth, one in Winona, and another in Sarcoxie that have all been breeding for years, so there's plenty of us!

Latest posts

Back